You are not logged in.

#1 05-05-06 23:08:08

Nat
Verified Member

Mileage

After reading another thread, I am concerned that I haven't been noting down my mileage - private or business  yikes

I started up in Nov and thought that petrol allowance would be calculated on the number of lessons done. I'm now assuming that this is wrong.

What should I do now - note down private/business mileage so I can calculate avg miles per lesson?

I'm planning on seeing an accountant very soon and worried now  :?

05-05-06 23:08:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mileage

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 06-05-06 10:12:41

Chris Newby
Verified Member
Website

You really ought to have an approximate idea of private/business mileage, for your tax return. I don't work weekends, so I note my mileage on Friday night and again Monday morning - job done.
Chris

www.pilotsom.com   
Driver training around Bournemouth, Poole & Blandford

#3 06-05-06 20:33:12

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I dont write down my private miles, my accountant just takes a %.

#4 07-05-06 09:51:36

Panjandrumbuilder

If you can make a reasonable estimate of your private use of your car and apply a percentage to it, your accountant will use that percentage to reduce both your fuel claim (per your fuel receipts) and if appropriate, your capital allowances on the vehicle.

I'm in the process of building a capital allowances/personal usage fuel calculator which should be posted to the ADI area at www.dtol.co.uk during the next couple of days.   smile

#5 07-05-06 13:09:34

la.monikita
Verified Member

has anyone got a weekly spreadsheet with boxes for expenses, fuel etc. an the number of lessons?
so we could just enter data of our receipts, and the formulas in place would add it all up and all we would need to do is to print it out ready for the accountant.
i'm worried that all my sources (expense) are in different places, ie once i pay by check once it's by bank trans, will the accountant find every single expense if it's not printed/ written down on one sheet? neutral neutral

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#6 07-05-06 15:24:46

Panjandrumbuilder

Funny you should mention that!! There'll be an online form you can use to enter lessons, (sales) and purchases anonymously on the dtol site as from tomorrow, 8th May. Once entered, you will be able to view and retrieve your own information just by entering your unique username and either S or P (Sales or Purchases). The database will be backed-up daily so that, in the unlikely event of something happening to the internet, all you could ever lose would be one day's entry.

You can then use 'copy' and 'paste' directly from the site to put your results into an Excel spreadsheet if you have Excel on your PC. As I mentioned, this service is anonymous, so nobody can identify the details of a particular business.

It's free to use, but if you'd like the data manipulated and made ready for entry into a self-assessment tax return, it'll cost you £36.00 per year. You won't need an accountant and doing it this way, you'll save yourself around £150.00 per year. You'll be able to view and try-out the form and the data retrieval page tomorrow pm at www.dtol.co.uk by following the ADI area link.  smile

#7 07-05-06 18:08:19

la.monikita
Verified Member

thank you, you clever clogs lol wink

Abraham Maslow

#8 08-05-06 17:09:36

Panjandrumbuilder

Your welcome. ;D
I've put the forms on the website, one for inputting info and one for reading the info that has been input. I haven't had time to finish the operating instructions today, but you can still try it out from the ADI Area page.

Follow the link and when the input page opens, type your unique username in the User ID box. Then, using the Tab key, move to Transaction Date and enter the date as specified, i.e., dd/mm/yy.

Press the Tab key again and the cursor will move to the Transaction Type drop-down menu, which gives you 2 choices i.e., P for Purchases, or S for Sales. If you're entering a purchase, e.g., Fuel, Cost of Sales, etc., enter the value and explanation in row 2, then press the 'Enter Data' button. If you're entering a sale, go from transaction type S straight to row 3 and fill in the boxes. Press 'Enter Data.' You'll see a confirmation page after entering any data. This just confirms that the input info has been entered into the database.

When you've entered your purchases and your sales, click the link at the bottom of the form to open the output page. Type your username into the first box and then either S or P in the second box. Pressing the submit button will reveal your Sales or Purchases depending upon whether you chose S or P.

You can copy and paste the info into Excel and manipulate it further from there, although you wouldn't normally need to do so until your year end.

Once you have entered your unique ID once into both the input and output pages, your pc will automatically remember it and will offer you the opportunity to just click on a drop-down, to save you typing it in over and over again.

It's easy to use once you have used it a couple of times. Do remember to select either P or S when inputting, as these, together with your user ID are the search criteria that are used in the output page. Enjoy!   yikes

#9 08-05-06 18:23:31

New Girl
Verified Member

Wow - that looks really useful.  How do I get a user name etc??

#10 14-05-06 08:40:39

la.monikita
Verified Member

i've been on the site today hoping to have a go but can't find it? where is it? neutral

Abraham Maslow

#11 14-05-06 09:54:18

New Girl
Verified Member

Follow this link....
http://www.dtol.co.uk/

#12 14-05-06 10:44:00

la.monikita
Verified Member

yep new girl, but which one is it?
in the ADI section the "Open/Save the Capital Allowances Calculator as an Interactive pdf file" does not open for me for some reason neutral, just goes into buffering neutral

but was there another tool that panjan had mentioned that allows you to put your sales (lessons) and expenses fuel, new lappy wink on? what is it called? is it the one above?
if so why is mine only buffering and nothing happens?

Abraham Maslow

#13 14-05-06 21:40:33

Airmiles

At 0800 hours i drive 0.5 mile on advertising run to where motorists are queing to join major road, they notice my name and telephone number, i turn right to proceed via paper shop to attract attention of yet more potential customers, i park up and wander around inside shop browsing so giving even more potential customers get a chance to see my car and take the details, then after 5 minutes i drive 0.5 mile on advertising run via our very small town centre to a house to collect little Cynthia for her lesson.

It's all about ''''mobile advertising ''''  wink

#14 15-05-06 08:40:43

Panjandrumbuilder

Hi La.monikita,

There was an online database which I put up on the site last Monday, to do all the accounting functions you mention, but, as can happen with open databases, someone decided to abuse the facility and as such, after only 24 hours or so I took it down again.

I'll put an Excel workbook together and post its availability in the self-employed forum, maybe later this week.

smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 15-05-06 09:10:39

sue martin
Verified Member
Website

has anyone got a weekly spreadsheet with boxes for expenses, fuel etc. an the number of lessons?
so we could just enter data of our receipts, and the formulas in place would add it all up and all we would need to do is to print it out ready for the accountant.
i'm worried that all my sources (expense) are in different places, ie once i pay by check once it's by bank trans, will the accountant find every single expense if it's not printed/ written down on one sheet? neutral neutral

hi.
looks like this might be what you are after..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … %3AIT&rd=1

used by a lot of instructors now
hope that helps
Sue

0800 298 8928
http://thebrightredl.com
The Bright Red L
Online Booking App. FREE TRIAL  http://instructorapps.co.uk/

#16 15-05-06 09:45:20

la.monikita
Verified Member