You are not logged in.

#1 04-03-04 02:17:06

joe c joe

Reversing round corners

Can anyone tell me how far from the Kerb you should be at the point you stop after making a reverse around a corner.

I'm learning with a friend, not an instructor and I'm worried he is giving me bad info. He recons I should be within a foot from the kerb, but I recon two foot would still be cool. Some one else told me a doors length.

Also when bat parking I have alway gone in to the bay "Right hand down" i,e. turning to the rleft (when looking backwards, turning towards near side). I have been told that this is the only way they would ask me to do it. Do they do it the other way on the test?

04-03-04 02:17:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Reversing round corners

#2 04-03-04 06:48:42

Liesa

Hi Joe

Welcome to the boards to start off with.

If you get asked to complete a corner reverse on your driving test, the examiner will tell you, to stay a reasonable distance from the kerb throughout the manouver. If you work on not being more than a drains width from the kerb you should be OK.

The bay park maouver can be performed at either the start or end of the test. And normally you will be expected to pull along side the bays at 90 degrees, then perform what amounts to a sharp corner reverse into the bay.

I hope this helps and if there's anything else you're not sure about, just ask!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 04-03-04 07:27:23

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Joe,

The bay park can be done to a bay on the left or on the right, it all depends on what space is available at the test centre. In Folkestone where I'm based it's always to the right, I think Ashford is to the left and Canterbury is a bit of a jumble whilst in Herne Bay there is no car park so you won't get a bay park.

So much for test uniformity!

Best check out your local centre. A few lessons with a good instructor will set you up for the test

Regards,

#4 04-03-04 14:06:52

skier

Half a metre from the kerb is ok, anything more is greedy.

#5 04-03-04 15:19:02

crazymaddriver

hi
you really should seek some professional driving instruction as you friend will probably be teaching you some bad habits even if he thinks he is doing it right. its definately worth it you will pick up good habits and be a better and safer driver for it!! smile

#6 09-03-04 22:23:56

rachdrive
Website

Hi Joe,

As Far as the reverse corner is concerned, I always tell my pupils that you don't want to touch the kerb(ormount it) and you always want to stay on your side of the road!! This usually is a good guide as to where you should be.

As for the bay park then depends on location of the test centre. My local Test centre does it the same wayas yours by the sound of it but not set in stone!! Remember Driving is for life not just for xmas!!
You may need to do it the other way at some stage.

Hope this helps
Rach  8)
Also you may be well to get some professional help before your test as suggested earlier as we know what examiners are looking for!!

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

#7 10-03-04 14:11:09

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Hi

As Rach has touched on - driving is for life.

It sounds as though you are being taught to pass a test - not learn a life skill.  Even then, it is unlikely your friend has the knowledge or the ability to teach you the test requirements.

Get some professional lessons and you will learn both the test requirements and the skills to keep you safe for life. You can then make use of your friend to accompany you while you practice the skills taught by your instructor.

Good luck

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 13-03-04 00:46:49

nicebutdim
Website

rachdrive wrote:

Hi Joe,

As Far as the reverse corner is concerned, I always tell my pupils that you don't want to touch the kerb(ormount it) and you always want to stay on your side of the road!! This usually is a good guide as to where you should be.

/quote]

Sorry rach but I'm gonna question the wisdom of your instruction here.   :shock: The aim of the rev turn to the left is to keep the same distance from the kerb throughout.  As you start from a temporary stop position (max half a car door width) you should stay no more than half a car door's width all the way to completion, but being careful not to touch the kerb at any stage.  Just getting the pupil to keep on their side of the road could result in a driving or possibly even a serious fault in a wide road.

D.S.A. = Department of Silly Ar*es

#9 13-03-04 12:30:47

rachdrive
Website

Hi Dim,

Although I know where you are coming from, I was using this as a guide and most side roads are not that wide!!! So OBVIOUSLY if it was a wider road then you would expect the pupil to be reasonably close to the kerb!!!!

REASONABLY being the optimum word here!!

As I have not had a pupil fail or get Control faults, my method must be working for the reverse corner :!:

Cheers
Rach 8)

#10 14-03-04 10:31:38

nicebutdim
Website

Hi rach, please call me nicebut!! lol

Wow - no control faults for the reverse turn is very impressive and proves that you must be teaching it right.

It's just that in my experience most pupils need the word "reasonable" defined,as what is reasonable to them may be unacceptable to an examiner!

D.S.A. = Department of Silly Ar*es

#11 14-03-04 11:55:13

rachdrive
Website

Hi Nice,

Sorry, i was going to call you Tim!!!!

No offense meant!!

Rach  8)

#12 14-03-04 12:55:07

Badger

""Hi rach, please call me nicebut!! ""

Is that butt or but ?

Badger

Board footer