You are not logged in.

#1 08-05-06 18:59:44

jegtag
Verified Member

Motorway dilema!!

Hope someone can give me some advice on a situation I found myself in today.  Briefly (!) I had just passed J10 (northbound) of the M1 which at the moment has roadworks and a speed limit of 40mph.  As the roadworks finish the speed limit is still 40mph for about 200yds.  I was in the inside lane (doing 40) and in the centre lane ahead of me was a box van doing just under 40mph and a line of traffic which had built up behind him.  As the speed limit increased to 70mph he didn't and stayed at 40mph, and behind me I had an articulated lorry practically on my back seat, followed by a line of heavy traffic.  To my mind I had two choices (1) to increase my speed and "undertake" him - the road was clear ahead or (2) to decrease my speed and wait for a gap in the centre lane to pull out and then to overtake him on the outside lane.  If I had gone ahead with option 2 I would have ended up crawling along at 25-30mph as he hadn't increased his speed and was showing no intention of pulling over into the inside lane - between us we would have been a rolling roadblock!!  Hope that made sense - what should I have done?  All suggestions gratefully received...... big_smile  I'll leave it up to you to decide which option I took.  wink

08-05-06 18:59:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Motorway dilema!!

#2 08-05-06 22:04:28

ExAdiNigel

I wouldn't have overtaken him on the inside!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 09-05-06 06:37:13

jegtag
Verified Member

No, and ideally I wouldn't have, but what I would like to know is what I should have done?  He wasn't going to move out of the middle lane even though he had ample opportunity to do so and the lane was clear in front of me, and he wasn't increasing his speed.  Should I really have continued to decrease my speed/continue at 35mph until an opportunity came to move out?  I felt seriously threatened by the artic that was behind me!  It is a serious question as this is a stretch of motorway that I could encounter on my part 2 next week, so the situation could arise again (roadworks there until 2008).  What would be the text book approach??

#4 09-05-06 07:12:42

The Mod

I recon there were two choices. Stay behind the van until he eventually moved to the left, or wait for a gap in the right hand lane and overtake on the right.
Overtaking on the left would not really have been an option for me.

#5 09-05-06 07:19:43

jegtag
Verified Member

Hearing you both loud and clear!  Just hope the same situation doesn't arise next week.  Will be going down that particular stretch of the M1 today just to check my theory that lightning doesn't strike twice....

#6 09-05-06 16:19:04

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Often, in road works, there are signs requiring you to stay in lane, and also saying that LGVs should only use the L lane.
If you had used the lane the van was in through the road works you would have been in a position to move right to overtake once clear and the LGV wouldn't have been harassing you.

Would that have been feasible at these roadworks?

#7 09-05-06 18:17:59

jegtag
Verified Member

You're quite right pegasus.  Thinking about it in hindsight I will try not to stick to the inside lane when using that particular stretch of motorway, so as not to end up in that situation (hopefully) again -  but obviously won't "hog" the middle lane.  Trouble is, everyone does exactly 40mph down there as they have the cameras that track your speed from a certain start/finish point and there are no specific signs stating that HGV's should stick to a certain lane -and it's SO busy!.  It's the one and only time I've experienced that particular problem and I have been covering all the junctions on the M1 between 9 - 12, everyday.  That's the good/bad thing about driving - there's always a new experience out there waiting for you!!

Board footer