You are not logged in.

#1 10-03-04 09:05:59

Natalie

Smoking whilst Driving

Just a quick thought really, I was driving home from work last night and was watching someone smoking in the car.  Surely if you have a cig in your hand whilst driving this can take your attention off the road.

1.  Whilst making sure you flick the ash out of the window
2.  Smoke could get into your eyes and
3.  Ash could easily get blown back in through the window and even burn something in the car.

Is it just me or does anyone agree with me :?

10-03-04 09:05:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Smoking whilst Driving

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 10-03-04 11:54:29

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Hi Natalie

I couldn't agree more.

Hand held phones are now banned.

Eating/drinking at the wheel can bring a charge of not being in control of your vehicle.

So why not smoking - it seems to be accepted that it is ok but the points you raise are very valid. I personally would make it an offence to smoke while driving.

As an extra point I also see many driving instructors smoking while giving lessons - this one really annoys me!

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#3 10-03-04 12:58:29

Natalie

Thanks I am glad to know it isn't just me  lol .  I think passengers smoking is bad enough as ash gets blown all over the car.  I can't say I have seen instructors doing it but I had one when I was learning that did, even not whilst I was in the car but could smell it, it would put me off.

#4 10-03-04 13:20:09

Liesa

Hi Natalie and DSE

I personally think that smoking should be made illegal whilst drivivg for exactly the reasons you both state.

On the subject of instructors smoking whilst teaching, our next door neighbour decided to train to become an ADI (he never made it however) he used to smoke a pipe in the car and that stinks even worse.

The other thing that really gets up my nose is these instructors that take phone calls during lessons. Mine is always switched off, not only is it now illegal, but it's distracting for both instructor and pupil.

I do still see instructors on phones even now! as anybody else noticed this?

#5 10-03-04 14:04:03

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Hi again

We are now going off track a little but here is a true story.

I was once outside a test centre having a chat with an SE (who has since retired) when I became aware he wasn't really lsitening to me but staring over my shoulder with a look of disbelief on his face.

He proceeded to walk away and stormed over to a driving school car busy practising bay parking in the TC car park.  He knocked on the window and gave the instructor a real rollocking.

When he returned to continue our conversation he asked if I had seen what he had seen, but as my back was towards the car park I hadn't and I was wondering what was going on.  Apparently the instructor had been busy knitting whilst her learner was practising the bay park!

As I was there at the time I know this to be factual - but other stories I have heard from learners about instructors (some are probably true - others may be a little exaggerated) include:

The one who spent lessons driving round with a copy of the local paper classified section looking at houses for sale because he was busy house hunting.

One that took a pupil through McDonalds drive thru because he had missed lunch and was starving. He then ate his meal while the pupil drove on.

(This one from an SE) The instructor who got out of the car during a check test lesson on reverse parking, to direct the pupil in from the pavement!!  - needless to say he failed.

Luckily the rest of us are perfect!!!  Aren't we??

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency

#6 10-03-04 14:04:39

Natalie

Funny you should say that my husband is learning to drive at the moment and on his second lesson, the first time he had actually properly driven.  His instructor answered his mobile phone just coming to our house and the end of his lesson.  My husband just took the initiative and stopped outside the house and then waited for him to put the phone down. 

Even if I did have it switched on it would be on silent.  I will have all this to remember when I pass.

#7 10-03-04 14:13:54

Liesa

It always amases me how they never get involved in an accident, I've also seen an ADI with an A -Z in his hand whilst on a lesson, and this one is a local ADI as well!

#8 10-03-04 15:39:50

steve

Not me i hope.  big_smile .

#9 10-03-04 19:28:21

Badger

Going thru a Macdonalds drive in isnt such a bad thing - it equates to showing how to deal with a petrol station.

Whats one of the first things a new driver is going to do?

Take his mates to the drive in Macs of course.  Isnt it better to show him how to do it safely.  Not stopping so far from the window that he drops the Macwhatnots on the floor and the wind whips his fiver away !

Badger

#10 10-03-04 19:36:29

Liesa

Hi Steve

It definately wasn't you!

I do know the ADI though he's been working for a well known school for as long as I can remember.

#11 10-03-04 19:39:15

Liesa

Hi Badger

Nothing wrong as you say with teaching them how to deal with the drive through etc.

But from the sound of it, it was for the instructors bennefit not the pupils, a different kettle of fish I think! :?

#12 12-03-04 13:08:50

pageant

Smoking certainly has limited safety issues. I would not advocate a ban though. Just advisory education.

#13 12-03-04 15:29:07

Unplugged

Let me guess your a smoker  roll

imo smoking a fag is no worse than muching on a sandwich or eating from a bag of crisps its just the later is illegal it prevents you from using one of your arms or restricts what you can do with it as well as presenting a fire risk.

It should be classed as not having proper control the same as pushing an loudspeaker option or a reject button on a phone thats sitting on the dash is also illegal

#14 12-03-04 15:47:26

Natalie

I just think on a whole that driving with anything in your hand should be illegal.  The lack of concentration and taking the eyes off the road is a hazard in itself.  In my opinion anyway.

#15 12-03-04 16:30:50

jonks

I agree with you Natalie, although I wouldn't make it illegal to have the steering wheel in your hand!  wink  smile

#16 12-03-04 19:32:57

Bob_FOADS

OK, Here goes, aspestos suit at the ready,....

Firstly I agree that doing anything other than driving whilst driving is not a good idea. however....

IMHO smoking is as bad as listing to the radio or chatting to the pasengers. Most smokers smoke on a very regular basis and it is second nature. Your eyes do not have to leave the road to take a drag or flick ash out the window it's a natral thing to do just as when changing gear.

I could go as far as to say that for a smoker, smoking is a god thing as, after a period of time without a fag, a smoker loses concentration much like wanting to go to the loo does to a non-smoker. Yes, I know you should stop, have a fag, then drive again.

I can't help but think that this thread was started / perpetuated by someone who is an ardent non-smoker? I can't / wont say that smoking does not affect driving in any way becaue it does, but so does listing to the travel news.

Yes there are fire risks, ash in the eye etc. etc. but all these risks are very minimal really.

As for instructors smoking while teaching. It is very likly that it's their own business. If the pupils don't want a smoking instructor then they find another instructor. I happen to have several clients who are glad that I smoke so they can as well!

Finaly, I do not smoke whilst teaching, I do not allow pupils to smoke whilst driving, I do not smoke in the car with any pupil present. If we do stop for a fag I always ask the pupils permission first and use the time constructivly (saftey check, reviewing what we've been doing etc.)

Just thought someone ought to stick up for the smokers.
ok flame throwers warmed up? I can take it!

#17 12-03-04 22:04:39

Badger

..........much like wanting to go to the loo does to a non-smoker.

So smokers dont need to go to the loo ?

Thats an interesting effect of smoking.

If you as an ADI light up at any time in the company of a  pupil  I believe that you are being unprofessional.  You are indulging in a personal craving whilst at work.

Badger

#18 12-03-04 22:16:59

pageant

Yes I am a smoker but a) would be of the same opinion if I wasn't and b) the implications are wholly different to eating a bag of crisps or using a mobile etc etc. I accepted that there are limited safety issues but they should be advisory and in no way warrant a ban. Following the political correctness logic that you all argue then why stop at smoking. Why don't we ban fat people from driving because they have a higher risk of heart attack at the wheel. I fully agree that trying to find a cigarette and lighting up whilst driving is in the same ball park that you all advocate and therefore potentially hazardous but there are simply no control implications to merely driving with one in the hand. I should know. I do it.

#19 12-03-04 22:32:47

Folk

What started out as a quick thought from Natalie has turned into a subject of much debate!  I would like to ask the smokers what they think might happen if they were involved in an accident or knocked unconscious in the car whilst smoking - potentially a life-threatening hazard if the cigarette falls and ignites something in the car, even your own body!  Also, with an accident, the possibility of fuel spillage and a lighted cigarette ......

Secondly, what about the fact that at all times, apart from changing gear, both hands should be on the steering wheel?  If you are smoking with one hand, surely this isn't possible?

Folk :?

#20 12-03-04 23:18:38

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

Personally I don't smoke, but I am guilty of eating chocolate on the move, opening a wrapper must be about as difficult as lighting up. The secret is never taking your eyes off the road.

As for changing gear whilst holding something in your other hand, I have heard of people reading newpapers whilst they drive, of texting whilst they drive and even of playing the bagpipes whilst steering with their knee. What's the worst you've seen?

Finally, If an accident occurs and the airbag goes off, does it push the cigarette up the drivers nose or into their eye? Just a thought.

Regards,

#21 13-03-04 08:22:09

Liesa

Hi all

I hope this isn't going to turn into world war 3?

#22 13-03-04 10:35:59

Badger

""Finally, If an accident occurs and the airbag goes off, does it push the cigarette up the drivers nose or into their eye? Just a thought.""

Probably make him swallow it !!

I used to smoke whilst driving  in my younger days and I remember distinctly many times driving with one eye shut because it was stinging with the smoke that had got into it.

You will also note how many people drive with window ajar just a tiny bit and they are carefully poking the cigarette out through the gap  to deposit the ash outside the car.

Concentrating hard on not dropping the ash in the car and aiming for the gap must take their attention well off the road.

Badger

#23 13-03-04 10:44:14

DSE
Verified Member
Website

I would suggest that rule 126 of the highway code covers this. The examples given do not include smoking but it states quite clearly that a driver should  "avoid distractions such as easting or drinking".  In my opinion smoking falls into this category.

Whilst failure to observe the highway code is not in itself an offence, any such failure may be used in any court proceedings to help establish liability.

Now that's got you all searching for your highway code!!

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency

#24 13-03-04 18:52:02

Natalie

Hi Guys

Bob_FOADS I admit I am a non-smoker.  But my husband is and I wouldn't want to be sat at home to get a call saying that he had had a bump because he had taken his eyes off the road.   He has smoked in the car whilst I have been driving and ash has gone floating passed me.

As people have pointed out airbags and having an accident then dropping the cig could have fata consequences. 

For all you smokers out there this wasn't a direct hit at you just a general thought.   

Nats

#25 13-03-04 22:14:14

Bob_FOADS

As a slight side-step, what would happen if you were picking your nose and the airbag went off <shudder at the thought>.

Board footer