You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 04-05-06 23:12:13

julian
Verified Member
Website

pink license

Hi folks,is it right what iv,e heard ? that the dsa are going to scrap the pink license?

Part 1 - 24/03/06  (97/67) 1st time
Part 2 - 06/06/06  (2 minors) 1st time
Pink License - 05/03/07
Part 3 - 20/4/07 (5/4) 1st time
www.Lme2drive.co.uk

04-05-06 23:12:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: pink license

#2 04-05-06 23:40:06

Andi

It seems very probable to be honest Julian.

Andi

1.gif

#3 05-05-06 08:32:28

luchell

I dont think its going to be phased out until next year. Im sure we will hear what will done in its place.e.g more adequate training would be nice.

#4 05-05-06 08:41:56

evan

I am going to throw a bone into this discussion that I think needs chewing over, by training bodies and the DSA. This perception that a lot of people go on a pink to make money, I feel is just not true. If you talk to the majority of people who go on a pink, it is because they feel that their training has not prepared them enough for the Part 3 test. That's why I went on a pink, and glad I did, had I not have, I would not have met the trainer who helped me pass part 3.

Like it or not the training bodies are failing people badly in the training of this test. It's a money earning exercise, there isn't enough attention paid to 1-1 training and the DSA should be asking more question about why so many people have trouble getting through. In reality if everyone was trained to a high standard, and assessed properly by the organisations that train them then I'm sure the pass rate would be higher.

Don't get me wrong things can go wrong on the part 3 test no matter how well you are trained, but as I say a lot go for it 3 times and fail, why aren't their weaknesses addressed after the first attempt.
In many ways the pink is a desperate attempt by people to gain more experience and knowledge of driving instruction, in many cases it does just that, however, this does not really justify why so many have had to use it. Ev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 05-05-06 09:19:38

1stdrive

If you talk to the majority of people who go on a pink, it is because they feel that their training has not prepared them enough for the Part 3 test. That's why I went on a pink, and glad I did, had I not have, I would not have met the trainer who helped me pass part 3.

Totally agree, I went on pink and am pretty sure that if I hadn't part 3 would have been alot harder. I think the only people making money out of the pinks are certain schools that use them. When I was on pink I was just about making a profit, but it wasn't much, but the national school I was with at the time were still taking their huge chunk of £330 odd per week, wether I was loaded with hours or not.

Like it or not the training bodies are failing people badly in the training of this test. It's a money earning exercise, there isn't enough attention paid to 1-1 training and the DSA should be asking more question about why so many people have trouble getting through.

This again is exactly right. I can only speak from personnal experience but when I was training I had the initial 40 hours classroom/car training (if you can call it that) with the training centre and that was it. I was given a pink badge and a car and pretty much got through it myself. I took it upon myself to get some extra training, with my part 2 trainer, at a cost to myself, which then prepared me for the exam. Why was this not included?
The huge amounts of money that are charged by some for instructor training do rarely reflect the support that is given, surely extra training required should be covered. I was in no way, shape or form ready for a part 3 exam after the initial sessions and took it upon myself, at quite considerable cost, to get the training I needed.

#6 05-05-06 10:41:43

Target
Verified Member
Website

I can only go by what i have read but figures suggest using the Pink Route to taking the training route the pass rate is no better or worse.

I've read some shocking articles from a certain organistion who suggested that Pdi's were not 100% committed to the cause, but forgot to mention the part about taking £3k and never mentioning they will never pass because they are not educated enough to do so.

In the point above. I have to agree, that in desperation most will use the pink route, because by this time you are loosing money, if your lucky to cover your costs and still get expereince then thats great.

I choose the full licence route and cost me alot more debt and still paying for it.

Theres just too much misuse of the system and the obvious thing to do is take the licence away. That will stop the Pdi's becoming 'Franchise Foder', but not help them in their course to become Adi's. As always the honest people suffer, because someone wants to make a fast buck.

The pink licence is a mockery to the ADI, because someone can start earning £20 per hour after passing what really is an easy mock test and part 2 driving test.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#7 05-05-06 12:31:34

The Mod

I like the idea of the pink. Gets you used to instructing real pupils, and if you do have problems then you can ask your trainer. The pink has helped a lot of very dedicated and capable PDIs to put their knowledge into practice and get a little experience before the pt3.
Said it before but loads of PDIs who are just not going to cut it as an ADI go down the pink route and use it to make a living. These are the guys that have given the pink badge scheme a bad name.
More control over TLs by our lords and masters would have helped a lot. Sad to see it go.

#8 05-05-06 12:49:45

Patagonia
Verified Member

I used the pink licence and I don't know how I would have got through Part 3 otherwise.

Part 3 training consisted of being taught the PSTs, no mention of bay parking or roundabouts for example, in a shared car.  When it came to the fault spotting exercises too much was thrown at us far too quickly for us to cope with.

I certainly didn't make money on pink as I limited myself to 12-14 hours pw fitted around my other part-time job and family.  I just covered franchise costs and petrol.  But I had my first test pass whilst still on pink and that really gave me the incentive to keep going and get that vital last exam for myself.

So glad that I did.

Pat smile

#9 05-05-06 16:39:55

Target
Verified Member
Website

Theres plenty of other ways a Pdi can learn the trade without becoming Franchise Foder.

Perhaps the instructors could sit in the back, and on occasions actually pay for the lesson. Even something simliar to what hairdressers do.

i.e Want a cheap lesson. Come to our school of motoring and take lessons with a Pdi....Of course the instructor would have to sit in also to supervise, but then thats part of the course.

I friend of mine did this approach. He actually paid for the pupils lesson. Of course the cash went to the instructor and was a little over the normal rate. The pupils would pay £19, but Pdi's were paying £25.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#10 07-05-06 20:30:28

sw
Verified Member

One of the problems with the pink is that it's abused by people. Driving schools think great it's 6 months of a car of theirs on the road, 6 months of franchise fees and if it goes belly up for the PDI involved it doesn't matter as it's ok we'll just get another one at the end of it and the whole process will start again. I'm on a pink and the school 'promised' me extra training above my extra 20 hours with my training provider but after 5 weeks i'm yet to hear from them. I don't expect them to be on the phone every day but an acknowledgement to my existence would be nice. I'm already thinking about talking to other schools about moving or even giving up the licence have duals fitted in my old car and teach a couple of people for free. I've already paid for extra training with another ADI trainer as i wanted to be pro-active and not wait until i'd failed 2 tests and then do something about it. It's very expensive but the difference in the quality of the training is huge. The DSA need to wake up and see what's under their noses, that theres so many PDIs out there in a similar boat, we're all doing our best but with a lack of support.

#11 07-05-06 20:39:11

evan

If the Pink Licence was issued with a criteria sheet and it could be marked off with evidence based training, signed by the PDI and sponsoring ADI, then I think it would be a very beneficial tool for gaining experience. If the package was put together something on the lines of the NVQ training system, there could then be a proper monitoring of what is happening out there. You have hit the nail on the head about cars being paid for by PDI's that's exactly what these companies are doing. Basically a very expensive car hire company who give you a few pupils to practice on. Pretty slack and shoddy system all in all. Ev

#12 08-05-06 15:17:29

sw
Verified Member

You've hit the nail on the head there Evan. Used in a way like you mention it could be very beneficial. There's a new chief exec at the DSA so maybe things will change in time but I wouldn't hold my breath. Something has got to be done though as it's not fair on the PDI or our customers, the pupil. I'm sure that many PDIs are teaching to a high standard and are confident in what they're doing and that's great but there's some (I include myself here) that are struggling who need some support and not just a car, a roof sign and an occassional new pupil every so often for £ X per week. It all seems so secretive too, with schools telling their PDIs 'how to get around awkward questions about your pink licence in the window'.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 11-05-06 20:43:46

evan

It all seems so secretive too, with schools telling their PDIs 'how to get around awkward questions about your pink licence in the window'.

These licences are not granted to be used as a covert means of gaining pupils, and bolstering up businesses. I have a PDI working in my driving school, she has pupils, they are charged a reduced rate and furthermore she pays no franchise. This is the problem with the whole scheme. If it was made mandatory, that companies using PDI's had to make there customers aware that they were having lessons from a trainee, then a lot of these problems would cease, it can put the PDI into a very awkward situation. Ev

Board footer