You are not logged in.

#1 19-03-06 21:15:45

sw
Verified Member

Where do you put your hands?

When sat waiting in a queue of non moving traffic or at a red traffic light, where do you have your hands? I was 're-educated' on my part 2 that when sat in a queue of traffic not moving, you should still have your hands in the ten to two or quarter to three position on the steering wheel whilst you're sat there and not in your lap or relaxing them somewhere else..... I was told this is because you may need to steer quickly if something went into the back of you and also it 'looks more professional to the examiner'. I can understand holding it whilst other traffic is pulling up behind you but once the queue behind you is formed at a standstill is it necessary? What do you teach your learner pupils?

Thanks

PDI Whoosh

19-03-06 21:15:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Where do you put your hands?

#2 19-03-06 21:19:59

luchell

If im stuck in traffic thats the going no where engine off sort of thing then that would be the only time i wouldnt be holding the wheel.

Any other time when in normal traffic busy traffic lights etc hands on the wheel. I told my Se off for sitting without his hands on the wheel in traffic. If the lights are about to change then left hand handbrake and right hand wheel. You are perfectly correct in saying you will be able to take quick action.

#3 19-03-06 21:32:47

VandADI
Administrator

I am having issues with a pupil over this scenario.  I have always taught pupils to be ready at lights, with the hands-on-wheel, and watching opposing traffic lights, ready to go when safe to go approach, especially when first in the queue.  My lad is still suffering the sweaty palm syndrome and takes this opportunity to give his hands a damn good wipe on his legs and gets tissue out to wipe steering wheel as all wet and sweaty.  Of course, the lights change and he is not ready   roll He suffers from some kind of medical condition which means his hands sweat ALL the time, not just on lessons and I have strongly urged him to see his GP over this as this will adversely affect the outcome of his test. 

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 11-04-06 20:22:32

Doc
Verified Member
Website

I have a pupil who's palms sweat like mad. I put the air con on and direct the vents towards the steering wheel at ten to two and tell him if he feels sweaty loosen his hand on the wheel (not take it off) and let the cool air in to his palm. Works a treat.

#5 16-04-06 15:29:02

ExAdiNigel

I can resist answering this question no more!!

Doesn't it depend on who's sat next to you? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#6 16-04-06 16:00:13

irene1946

My husband has told me that I should keep both hands on the steering wheel, then I am in full control, I have done it so often that it has become automatic. You still have plenty of time to release the hand brake and carry on as normal.

#7 16-04-06 16:05:54

Gizmotime
Administrator

I always keep both hands on the wheel, even when stopped at T/lights with the handbrake on.

Giz

#8 16-04-06 17:03:08

pj
Verified Member

I keep both my hands on the steering wheel but i teach my pupils to keep one hand on the wheel and if they have put the handbrake on keep hand on that so they don't try to move off with it still on.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#9 16-04-06 20:14:24

skiffle
Verified Member
Website

same as pj.... smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 16-04-06 20:18:25

evan

I can resist answering this question no more!!

Doesn't it depend on who's sat next to you? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Nigel

Top answer. ha ha ;D

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 29-04-06 15:20:09

Phil
Verified Member
Website

I keep both my hands on the steering wheel but i teach my pupils to keep one hand on the wheel and if they have put the handbrake on keep hand on that so they don't try to move off with it still on.

Yup, sounds good to me.

As for pupils with sweaty hands.... YUK!  wink

Phil

LDC Approved Driving Instructor

#12 29-04-06 15:28:59

luchell

Theres a deoderant cant remember what its called, you can get it from testcos, its a clear bottle with just crystals in it, you add water. This can be sprayed in any areas you sweat from lol You never know it could be good for hands. neutral Biosen or something i use the spray normal version which i have to say is brill! Erm just for normal use though lol under the arms!

#13 29-04-06 15:33:50

VandADI
Administrator

My pupil uses perspirex which sounds similar to you describe Luchell, it works a treat  smile pupil used it today on his hands and we had sweat free palms....

#14 29-04-06 15:46:08

evan

One hand on the wheel and one on the handbrake. Although some of them still fidget around if you don't remind them. Ev

#15 29-04-06 16:28:05

luchell

Yes persipirex is excellent for perpiration problems. good stuff. You use it at night and only once or so a week. This deoderant i talk of doesnt block your pores which perspirex does. so will suit some people that dont suit the other. May be useful to know smile

#16 29-04-06 16:46:41

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
What about that hand wash/alcohol rub that they have on hospital wards?
Not only is it anti bacterial etc. I have noticed it drys the skin as well.

Board footer