You are not logged in.

#1 28-02-04 07:05:49

Liesa

Diploma In driving Instruction

Does anyone offer a corespondence course, for the Diploma in Driving instruction?

I've got all the books for the course, but was looking for a bit more support!

28-02-04 07:05:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Diploma In driving Instruction

#2 29-02-04 20:58:26

CarADI

Liesa,

What will you do with the Diploma when you get it ?

#3 01-03-04 07:45:56

Liesa

After passing both the Diploma and the Cardington Special test, or Diamond special test, you can then apply to become a Diamond advanced instructor!

#4 03-03-04 00:12:59

CarADI

Liesa,

What will the Diamond get you ?

Will you get more money for lessons ? How much ?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 03-03-04 07:24:55

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi, Liesa,

I'm so glad we don't do everything I do for money!

I give free lessons to a disabled girl, half price to another lad who has Downs syndrome and get great job satisfaction from being the best I can be. I'm gutted when someone fails, especially some of the more unjust ones.

Do what you think is best and be the best!

Regards,

#6 03-03-04 08:30:31

Midge
Website

I did the Diploma years ago,  when the only way known of doing it was at a college.  I had to travel a bit, but then I got the opportunity of meeting up with instructors from further afield than usual. It  was great, whatever you think you know, you can always learn more,and you get to be able to put the letters after your name, in your ads, which impresses some people.  Through meeting at the college, and with encouragement from one of the lecturers, seven of us went down to Banstead, to complete their course on teaching people with disabilites.  That really gave me encouragement to teach people with all sorts of disabilities.  You know when one of your pupils passes, it is like passing your own test again? Well, when someone with a disabity passes, multiply that by 100.
The D I A magazine will give you the up to date information, I think my study books may be out of date, or you could have used them.

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#7 03-03-04 08:53:10

Liesa

Thanks bigred & Midge for the encouragement. I think there are far too many in this proffesion just for the money, no doubt that'll get me some abuse!

Midge I already have the current manual for the dilpoma, but thanks for the offer. I was going to make a start on it this year but have decided to leave it untill next year, mainly because I've left it late to make a start.

I love teaching anyone and find I get a real kick out of teaching the less able. I taught quite a few very succesfully over the years that others had given up on.

CarADI

As far as what I'll get from it, self improvement, satifaction that I've acheived the further qualifications which I beleive will truely benefit my teaching, in short career advancement.

#8 04-03-04 00:53:16

CarADI

Hi Liesa,

I agree.
Good luck with them,

CarADI

#9 04-03-04 06:54:49

Liesa

CarADI

Thanks for the reply & encouragement. I was beginning to think you were totaly against any further qualifications. It just goes to show how wrong you can be! :oops:

#10 12-03-04 09:31:52

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Thought I'd share my experience of the Diploma.

I did the diploma in May 2001 but it was very much a last minute thing. In February of that year I was given the opportunity to do it so I decided to give it a go. By the time I got the workbooks and other reference material it was late March and then with easter holidays and other work comitments it was April before I really started studying.

I did all the study by myself at home using the workbooks and other reference material. In the week leading up to the first two modules I crammed in as much as I could on those subjects then went and sat the exam. The next day I started cramming for the next two modules which I took one week later. Then the following day I started on the final module and took that the week after. Not ideal but it worked for me.

I passed all five modules and have to say that I didn't find it particularly difficult. In fact, the hardest part was writing for two hours - I'm too used to using a keyboard these days. 

I took the exams at Keighley College in Yorkshire as they were the only college that would take external candidates at short notice (even then I had to pay a late entrant penalty).

I would advise anyone interested to go for it, as I would with any additional qualification or advanced test. They all help you to develop professionally and ensure you are giving your clients up to date and correct information. They can also help if you decide to progress into other branches of ADI work such as fleet training or ADI training.

By passing the Dip DI and the Cardington test you receive the status of a Diamond Advanced Instructor. This status would allow you to become a Diamond examiner which can then bring in a further income - so there can be a financial benefit as well for those that think only of money!

I am happy to offer help or advice to anyone wanting to do this or any other further qualification.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#11 12-03-04 21:00:25

Liesa

DSE

Very impressive I must say, managing to study for and pass all 5 modules in such a short time.

I plan to make a start on it next year, but as yet haven't decided how many modules to take in the first year. Most people I know who've taken it did so over two years.

Has anyone else taken it?

And if so how long did you spread it over?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 17-03-04 00:50:22

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Liesa wrote:

I think there are far too many in this proffesion just for the money

Sad, But true !

#13 17-03-04 08:30:32

Liesa

It's nice to talk to like minded people.

Back to my original question, does anybody offer a correspondance course for the Diploma in Driving Instruction?

I've thought about starting a study group up for the course, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it, any advise?

#14 17-03-04 10:54:46

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Liesa,
         Have you tried the DIA re your question ? , they may offer some advice.

#15 17-03-04 18:52:50

Liesa

Rusty

Great idea, I'll look into it.

The DIA did give me the number of a distance learning co-ordinator though.

#16 26-03-04 18:50:02

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Liesa, Would you share any inf you find about the Diploma in Driving Instruction ?

I would like to get started with this as soon as i can.

Where did you get all the books from and what books are they ?

I'm right at the start with this but hungry for info  smile

DSE, If you have any info i would like to thank you for that now.

Regards

Nigel

#17 26-03-04 20:46:51

Liesa

Hi Nigel

The Diploma in Driving Instruction consists of 5 modules

1. Legal obligations and regulations
2. Management, practises and procedures
3. Vehicle maintenance and mechanical principles
4. driving theory, skills and procedures
5. Teaching, practises and procedures

You can take anything from 1 - 5 modules in a year, and there's no time scale over which it has to be taken.

On succesful completion of each module you'll be awarded a certificate for it. On completion of all 5 modules, you then have to apply to the DIA for the Diploma to be awarded.

Once you've acheived the Diploma, there are special professional services available via the DIA, but I don't have any information on these at present.

If you hold the Diploma and also have a grade A pass, Cardington Special test or the Diamond Special test, you are eligable to apply to become a Diamond advanced instructor. You can then go on to take the Diamond Advanced Examiners course.

The course is assessed in 5 seperate exams, these are taken at a local college or adult education centre. Each exam is 2 hours in duration, and takes the form of essay type answers.

The deadline for entries each year is around the middle of February, but will vary from centre to centre, exams are usually taken in May and results are available in July.

Study Material

The Dia produce a home study pack, which consists of 6 books, 1 for each module and the final one is on examination technique.
order code:0105

The study pack can be obtained via the DIA, and costs £30 to members and £37.50 to non members.
Or each book can be purchased seperately £6 each to members and £7.50 each for non members.

These books can be ordered by phoning       0845 345 5151
Out of office hours order hotline                   0208 665 5253

TheDriving Instructors Manual: again a DIA publication order code 0121 £30 for members and £45 for non members.

Driving the essential skills                code  0119       £12.50
The highway code                            code  0124       £ 1.49
Adult learning                                  code  0112       £15.00
Law and the small business               code  0114       £14.50
Fundamentals of motor technology     code  0143       £16.50
Model Answers                                 code  0104       £  3.85

All prices and code were correct, when I received the information back in December, so please bear in mind that the prices could have changed!

#18 26-03-04 21:16:49

rusty
Verified Member
Website

Leisa,
         If I intend to sit all 5 papers next May what a realistic time to start home study this year. ? Dont want to peak 2 soon. What do u think ?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#19 27-03-04 00:21:08

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Liesa, Thank you very uch for the info.

The deadline for entries each year is around the middle of February, but will vary from centre to centre, exams are usually taken in May and results are available in July.

Do you have any info about how i find a 'centre' ?

Thank you

#20 27-03-04 08:03:50

Liesa

Hi Rusty

I think when you start studying, is entirerly down to how much time you've got, and how fast you learn.

I did intend to take at least 2 modules this year, but by the time I'd gathered all the information/resourses I thought I'd left it too late, so I'm leaving it till next year instead.

Nigel

To find out where your local cetre is contact the DIA, TEL:0845 345 5151 ask to speak to Colin 'O'Connell.
Once I'd spoken to him, I then had to write giving details of which modules I intended to take this year, he then sent me details of, the college that would be holding this years exams. The next step would have been to contact the colleges examinations officer, and book myself in for the exams.

For anyone in the Leicester area, who's interested in taking the Diploma, the exams are held at Brockington College, Enderby, Leicestershire.

If anyone in the Leicester area is interested, I'd like to set up a study group for the Diploma, if you're interested let me know.

#21 27-03-04 22:50:24

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for that number.

I now know you can only take the exam in April/may, is that right.
Means Ive a long wait till the nest one. :?

#22 28-03-04 09:25:14

Liesa

Approved In structor wrote

I now know you can only take the exam in April/may, is that right

YES

#23 12-06-04 04:43:14

CHEBS

Hi All, I live and work around the Manchester area and am about to order the books etc to start the diploma. I think the study group is a great idea. Anyone know of any close to me  :?:

#24 12-06-04 20:48:11

CarADI

qwerty

#25 12-06-04 23:05:47

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for that, If your going maybe we could meet up and go together (Manchester) And it would save me getting lost  lol

Board footer