You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 15-10-04 15:32:17

jonks

An article from Jeni - Giving driving directions

Thanks to member Jeni for this great article. I'm sure it will be of great use to many of our members.

Jeni is an ADI trainer at the Absolutely Fabulous Driver Instructor training Centre.

If you are interested in talking to Jeni about ADI training, you can private message her by clicking Here

----------------------------

Giving Directions

It will take time and practice to become confident and fluent in giving directions clearly and in good time. Give a beginner directions much earlier than a test standard learner to allow them time to prepare the car for the manoeuvre.

Incorrect directions – We are going to turn right (are we? Where?) I want you to try (only try?) 

NOTE – when you begin driving lessons tell the pupil they will always go straight ahead unless you inform them of a direction change. Use ADI (attention, direction, information)

I. ALWAYS bring to the pupil attention the hazard they will be negotiating

At the ROUNDABOUT
At the END OF THE ROAD
I would like you to TAKE THE NEXT ROAD on the left
At the TRAFFIC LIGHTS

II. ALWAYS follow up the direction with extra information if it would help pupil, especially stage 1

At the ROUNDABOUT ahead turn LEFT FIRST exit please, signposted POOLE
At the END OF THE ROAD turn right please
I would like you to TAKE THE NEXT ROAD on the left, just after the bus stop please
At the TRAFFIC LIGHTS I would like you to turn left, signposted POOLE.
At the first ROUNDABOUT proceed AHEAD & at the second ROUNDABOUT turn RIGHT please sign- posted WESTHOWE.

The pupil will be hear the instructions written in BOLD

Follow up your directions with Q & A to determine where pupil intends to go. Ask your questions in good time.

AT the ROUNDABOUT Proceed AHEAD please – Q – which lane will you use?
AT the TRAFFIC LIGHTS proceed AHEAD Please (3 lanes) – Q - Which lane will you use? & Why

Do not expect the pupil to remember where you have directed them EVEN if they have an indicator flashing. A pupil may become confused at a roundabout and get into the wrong lane or even change course halfway around. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED! Be prepared.

Common pupil errors with directions

 You ask them to turn left they apply the right indicator –  repeat the instruction to turn left.

 They choose the wrong lane – you must spot this in time – ask the pupil which lane they are going to use BEFORE they approach the hazard – avoid using the dual controls or grabbing at the steering wheel if possible

 They indicate too early/late – make sure you have given a briefing about signalling, timing and correct use. You must ensure pupils have a good understanding of signalling, timing and use and MSMPSLADA

 The pupil cannot do MSM PSL in time and misses junction – are you expecting too much? Are you giving directions early enough? Is the pupil approaching the hazard too fast? Is the pupil concentrating? Are you talking TOO much? Remember they cannot drive as well as you!

 The pupil turns left at a roundabout even though you had said proceed ahead – are YOU talking too much? Is the pupil very nervous of roundabouts? Is the pupil chatting inappropriately? Did you give the correct instruction? Did you say keep in the LEFT lane? It may have been a simple mistake, go to another roundabout and see if the error is repeated before coming to a final conclusion. Ask the pupil why they turned left.

Have they learnt anything?

When the pupil is able to drive unaided you can get them to justify their decision with a question.
I.e. – you approach a set of traffic lights with two straight on lanes – left one marked for straight ahead and left and the right hand land marked for straight ahead and right  - YOU want straight on

The pupil correctly chooses the left hand lane – but why?

Q&A – why did you not use the right hand lane?  Or Q&A – Are you in the correct lane
Q&A – Why are you using this lane? Or Q&A – Are you in the correct lane for going ahead?

All these example questions will invoke a response in your pupil you will easily be able to determine if your pupil KNOWS they are in the correct lane or if they just GUESSED! By their answer

If they answer – you should use the left hand lane unless blocked or directed by signs because other traffic may wish to turn right or overtake me plus you would have to wait behind them in the right hand lane to proceed ahead – you know they are on the correct path – praise them

It they answer “you told me to use the left lane” last week – this will show a lack of understanding – so EXPLAIN again and again if necessary and use Q&A to confirm understanding

If they answer “I DON’T KNOW” – pull them over and go over lane positions and the Highway Code and check their theory knowledge ASAP!!!

If they look confused and say nothing you may need to cover lane positions and lane procedures again – REMEMBER if YOU are not sure ask your trainer to explain or email me.

Above test standard

Once your pupil has mastered taking directions well & unaided even on unfamiliar roads why not let them navigate somewhere and use it as part of your lesson plan. So if you are covering dual carriageways see if they can follow all the signs to a particular place or town unaided.

Make sure they understand the road sign system - White local roads, Green primary routes etc

You can also take them to a different part of town & see if they can drive home unaided or will they get lost? They will have to do this once they have passed & its great idea on a hazard perception lesson when they need to plan ahead.

Finally

Many ADI’s get lazy with giving directions and I have been told by PDI’s “down to end & left” or “next right” or “second exit please” “oh & that’s right at the roundabout” I don’t have enough time to change lanes safely using MSPSL then. Get into good habits & practice giving yourself directions when driving. Good luck!

15-10-04 15:32:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: An article from Jeni - Giving driving directions

#2 15-10-04 17:46:29

muffin

Great article Jeni. Made me think again about the directions I give sometimes.
Jeff

#3 15-10-04 18:58:02

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jeni

Thought provoking! Does us good to re-examine our procedures every now and again. smile

Thanks

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#4 21-10-04 16:40:13

bajr

Great article Jeni,

I have found sitting in on tests useful to see how the examiner does it so I can get the pupils used to the same style (especially at those 'local knowledge' strange areas). They all use the ADI method as you say too.

Bruce

Board footer