You are not logged in.

#1 11-03-04 17:43:41

Dan
Verified Member

Starting Your Own School

Hi,

I'm currently working under a franchise, and have many personal pupil recommendations.

I think I'm ready to start out alone.

I'm guessing there's a fair bit of paperwork etc to it ... Does anyone know of any useful reading material / advice I can get before taking the plunge ?

Thanks,

Dan

11-03-04 17:43:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Starting Your Own School

#2 11-03-04 19:40:05

Bob_FOADS

Dunno about anyone else but AFAIK all you REALLY need to know about is tax and NI and their both fairly simple.

There are the obvious things like car, sign writing , insurance, dual controls, diary, advertising, telephone ETC. that you need to consider as well.

There are web sites for tax and NI stuff but I don't recall them at the moment, I do know they'll probably be .gov.uk sites

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 11-03-04 20:29:30

adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi,
I went independent 4 years ago and it took about 2 years to get well established. I now have a good turnover of pupils with most of my work by recommendation. My advice to you is to time it with when your yellow pages comes out. Take the biggest advert you can afford. The bigger the advert, the more calls you will generate, but don't go putting yourself in debt! They will advise you with whats best, i went alone about6 months before my advert appeared and struggled for a bit! As time goes on you can reduce your advertising as you will have more recommendations (providing you do a good job!!). Have call diversion put on your home phone so calls can be diverted to your mobile while you are out. If you miss a call, you can phone back between lessons and catch the prospective pupil before someone else does! I used to lease my car but it got too expensive. My regret is i bought a brand new car which seems to de-value quicker than i can pay for it! I would advise buying a secondhand car with low miles to start with to keep those costs down, consider diesel or LPG. Get door panels with your school name on to get your name noticed! If accounts worry you, get an accountant, you don't need to pay more than 200 for a years accounts, they may even save you more than they charge! Best of luck and go for it!

#4 12-03-04 20:24:07

steve

Hi Dan .ADI is spot on thats how i started 3 years ago. My pug 106 diesal has 110 grand on the clock and still going strong.The only thing i would add is to set up a web sight and link it to a domain name with a strip on the back of the car so they can find you.I got one of my neighbours to help me design the web pages.Then bought a domain name .co.uk £6 +vat for 2 years from ukreg.com...............steve

#5 12-03-04 23:31:23

kev146g
Website

try  www.oneandone.co.uk they do a basic  8 page web site for £1.99 per month  the domain names cost from   (.co.uk )  £1.99 for 2 years

kev
w w w.drivingschool.me.uk

#6 13-03-04 08:55:14

Dan
Verified Member

Thanks for all your replies.  It's really useful to get quick unbiased advice.
One last question concerns the name of the company. Whatever I chose - how can I be sure somebody else can't take the same name ?

Thanks again.

Dan

#7 13-03-04 10:26:45

adi
Verified Member
Website

I wouldn't advise using the same name as anyone trading anywhere near where you will be working as you will make enemies, and if they are established, people will think you work for them! If someone copies your name but they live on the otherside of the country i wouldn't lose any sleep. As a point to note, people will remember the school name but never the telephone number on your car (unless they carry a pen and paper everywhere they go!), they will then look up your number later on. Therefore i would suggest something catchy or really cheesy, it will be remembered. Search the yellow pages (get the impression that our industry depends on it !!!) and see what other school names are being used.

#8 13-03-04 11:37:55

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Good advice from ADI, but if you're thinking further ahead to becoming a larger school in the future, you need to do some research.

We have registered our name and logo with the trade marks registry which means no one else can use it. Another way is to make the the business a limited company, once the name of your school has been registered with Companies house then again no one can use that name.

We brainstormed for some time before we came up with our name. We chose it because we didn't want to be restricted by area or by my name. It reflects our core market and seems to be remembered by most people.

Good luck with the business, let us know how it all goes.

Regards

#9 13-03-04 14:15:51

steve

hi dan i trade under my surname, lucky there are no chamberlains in leicester, the trouble i have is it only justs fits my head board.why not use your name DAN ***** School of motoring.or try for something unique (you might have to register it).to me it makes no differance what my schools called at all as ive stopped putting my headboard on the car.i get most my pupils from recomendations.so i stopped advertising that way.

Board footer