You are not logged in.

#1 19-04-06 19:12:27

Jewels

I'm proper soft arnt I

Right last night we decided we were taking our little girl out to Flamingo Land & to Seaside (as she calls it). Anyway, I'm well up for it saying I'm driving, I don't mind & I arnt scared. Well this morning it was sommat diffrent. I had butterflies & backed out. It's coz I would of had to drive on the motorway. I've only been ot it once & that was on pass plus. I dunno why I felt so nervous, maybe it was because I would of had my daughter in the car & didn't feel confident.
I've been driving almost six months & I'm really conident now, well on normal roads. But when it comes to motorways the thought of it just makes me nervous. Shameful I know, was anyone else like this or is it just me.

19-04-06 19:12:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: I'm proper soft arnt I

#2 19-04-06 19:16:06

evan

If you have only driven on there once Jewels then you will be nervous, and especially with the little one in the back. If it really worries you ask your ADI to do another hour or two motorway lesson to get your confidence up. Anyway you've let me down, you haven't put anymore funnies on lately. Ev

#3 19-04-06 19:33:08

Jewels

I didn't drive, I bottled it didn't I. He drove ther and back. I've got another notorway lesson coming up but its getting embarrsing now that I've not been on one.

#4 19-04-06 19:37:10

evan

That's what I'm, saying you bottled it because you don't feel confident in doing it, nothing wrong with that, I have respect for you. Better then getting yourself into a tricky situation and getting it wrong. Motorways can be initimidating, and the added responsibility of your daughter probably made you extra cautious. Ev (where's those funny links Ev)

#5 19-04-06 19:47:24

Jewels

Aww not come across any recently, but I will post some when I do

#6 19-04-06 20:14:50

Gizmotime
Administrator

Jewels you'll be fine once you start to believe in yourself, that's the key thing, PMA wink

Best of luck girl.

#7 19-04-06 21:14:50

posh
Verified Member

The thought of driving on motorways can be a bit daunting if you are not used to them,but they are the safest roads to drive on once you get used to them as you will,its great that you are having motorway lessons even have a wee practice now and then late on, when the motorways are a little bit less busy, that may help a little.    smile

#8 19-04-06 21:28:51

ExAdiNigel

Try taking your daughter with you on one of the motorway lessons.  I'm sure I've said it before, remember that Motorways are our safest road types (3% of accidents on motorways, 4% ksi on Motorways).

Go for it

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#9 19-04-06 21:34:29

Jewels

Omg, your kidding. I'm sure my adi wouldn't like it.
Maybe I lost it coz she was in the car. Think I'm gonna just have to go for a few runs at night when its quite after my next motorway lesson.

I suppose the more you avoid it, the worse its gonna be to try get into it.

#10 19-04-06 22:30:05

luchell

Actually i would call you sensible. You have your daughter to protect as well. Good on you for saying no and having that extra tuition you had booked first.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#11 19-04-06 22:54:05

msdarcy721

Think I'm gonna just have to go for a few runs at night when its quite after my next motorway lesson.

your action plan sounds spot on. gaining that bit more confidence alone, should really make a difference when you tackle m/way, especially with your daughter.

true, defo experienced the latter not that long ago in fact. put off going out in my car cos i had a bad experience and the putting off just made the trip i was inevitably gona have to make ten times worse. Had i'd just got in car (possibly got someone to accompany me) and tackled it bit by bit, but regularly, i might have handled it a little better.

i'm sure you'll do it though. no worries xxxxxxxxx wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 20-04-06 06:14:56

ExAdiNigel

Omg, your kidding. I'm sure my adi wouldn't like it.
Maybe I lost it coz she was in the car. Think I'm gonna just have to go for a few runs at night when its quite after my next motorway lesson.

No, I'm not kidding at all.  The more you get out there the more comfortable and confident you will get.  But, at the end of the day, if it was having your daughter in the back that really stopped you going on the motorway taking her in the back on a lesson (ie in a more controlled environment) could help you overcome some of your fears.  I would have no problem with it if one of my pupils had similar fears.  I have often had pupils offspring in the car on a lesson or part of a lesson.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#13 20-04-06 07:21:29

evan

What Nigel is suggesting here makes a lot of sense Jewels, what better way to address your fears and insecurities, then with your ADI in the car helping you. You do need to sort it out sooner rather than later or it will build into a bigger problem then it needs to be. Ev

#14 20-04-06 08:31:15

DrivenMad
Website

Actually i would call you sensible. You have your daughter to protect as well. Good on you for saying no and having that extra tuition you had booked first.

Thats true..and Id never have liked to take my kids on a motorway if I didnt feel I was safe and confident.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5972/iconexclaimhm6.gif[/img][/URL] www.sleepinggirls.co.uk - for girls AND boys!!

#15 24-04-06 21:41:38

Leprechaun

I haven't got children of my own but the first time i had a young child in the car i was really nervous too - and i'd been driving a couple of years i think - and i was only on normal roads  :oops: :oops: If you didn't feel confident you probably did the right thing and as the others have said if you've got more motorwaty lessons arranged you'll soon feel better wink

#16 25-04-06 08:27:49

Jewels

Well got my last motorway lesson today & the weathers looking pretty crappy. How come its always rubbish when I have to go on motorways ;D ;D.

#17 25-04-06 08:31:20

evan

Well look at it this way Jewels, better to go on when it's bad weather with an ADI in the car with you to give advice, then have to do it alone. Plus the fact we live in Britain, bad weather is part of the deal for living here.

Hope it goes great for you and you build your confidence up with it. Good luck. Ev  ;D

#18 25-04-06 08:31:31

skiffle
Verified Member
Website

sad

Good luck for your motorway session... Stay focused, driving on m'way in rain isn't great, but it's great experience. smile

#19 25-04-06 11:21:35

Moominhater

I didn't drive on a motorway till about five years after I passed my test.  My mom put me off them, saying they were dangerous and she'd rather go the scenic route.  Anyway I remember my first drive on the motorway - to guess where.........Flamingo Park.  Me and my mate,  my knuckles were white from gripping the steering wheel so hard.  When I got there my hands ached - anyway - I go most places now on the motorway.  So you can do it, believe in yourself.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

#20 25-04-06 11:25:09

Jewels

Well my lesson got cancelled. We set of & tried to turn on motorway but it was blocked off then further up you could see loads of fire engines. So we turned off at the D/C and you could see that the whole motorway was completly empty at both sides. It was the M62 at J27, don't know whats happened but I'm not having much luck anyway. Got it booked again for the 4th.

#21 25-04-06 20:00:41

Jewels

Well found out why the motorway was blocked off, a lorry caught fire which was carrying acid. Good job my lesson was not any earlier as someone I know was stood still for 2 hours innit.
God I'd hate to be stuck on motorway like that.

#22 25-04-06 20:22:40

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Judging by the road reports, on radio today, lots of the network has been at a standstill.

M1 south of the M6 junction

M42 then got blocked by an accident when people were trying to avoid the M1/M6 junction.

M25 in 2 different places on the northern half.

Your M62 incident would have probably have caused problems on the M621 as well.

#23 25-04-06 20:42:27

Jewels

M621 Gildersome

#24 25-04-06 20:44:36

evan

Jewels put some more funnies on to cheer us all up. Ev

#25 25-04-06 20:56:33

Jewels

I can't find any sad