You are not logged in.

#26 18-04-06 13:49:31

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Re: My first day on a Trainee Licence

Hiya,

just catching up after w/end away. I'm really glad it's working out well after the shaky start - if the first one has come back to you as well, you obviously managed to hide your panic well!

Keep us updated on the progress,
Andy.

Ambition Driving College

18-04-06 13:49:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 18-04-06 17:23:41

luchell

See, just goes to prove that pupil was none the wiser. Smile talk with confidence even if the odd ermmm urghhhh is in there! Please do keep us updated as to how you feel as time goes by, this will be very interesting for pdis and new adis who havent been out before with a 'real' pupil.

#28 19-04-06 14:08:12

sw
Verified Member

The 2nd lesson with my first ever pupil went ok today, better than the first one anyway! We did starting/stopping but only slowly in 1st gear as he was gradually picking it up but didnt want to bombard him with stuff before he could do it reasonably ok. We had to do a left emerge and later a left major to minor and his steering was awful. I briefed him on how we steer etc but it just didn't seem to be doing the trick, so now i'm not sure if next lesson we should concentrate on moving off and stopping getting into 2nd/3rd gear building up a little bit of speed or looking at his steering. I'm a little bit lost at the moment! My brain says look at his steering by moving off at an angle but not too close so theres a risk of his crashing into the car in front as there's no empty car parks round here really. When we did turn i had to help him with the steering and he suddenly floored the gas a couple of times as we turned into the new road. If there had been a parked car there it could have been nasty, so moving off at angle maybe isnt such a good idea at the mo!

Help!!

#29 19-04-06 14:14:07

evan

I would deal with the steering first whoosh. Try taking him to a car park or similar and get him doing figure of eights using pull push steering. Do you carry a Frisbee, tin lid or tray in the car, this is great to demo it so the pupil knows what they have to do, they can then practice it before doing it for real.

I ALWAYS sort the steering out before moving onto other things, remember you haven't got a steering wheel in front of you and as you say it could easily get tricky. Also give him homework if he struggling get him to do the pull push steering with tray in the house. I always make mine do it and it works. Ev

#30 19-04-06 14:25:31

sw
Verified Member

I'm thinking of suggesting an early lesson maybe 8am as theres a large out of town shopping complex where we should be able to do figure of 8 steering hopefully before it gets too busy. We wouldn't be bothering anyone at that time so hopefully they shouldn't have a problem with it. The problem is around here (or a lot of places I guess), is finding a car park thats large and empty enough without the owners getting annoyed. Ive suggested using a frisbee at home to practice and im going to take one in the car to the next lesson so hopefully that will help as well.

#31 19-04-06 14:31:00

evan

Good thinking whoosh, I tend to organise my lessons around pupils abilities, and availability of things like car parks. It's the same problem everywhere, you just have to use what's around. I think once you crack the steering you will see good results. Good luck and keep us posted mate. Ev

#32 19-04-06 21:44:13

luchell

If hes flooring it round turns etc be ready and gently brake the car if you need to to give him OR you the time to intervene with the steering. that will help if there are any parked cars. I do agree though sort the steering first. Turn in the road with you doing the pedals if his clutch control isnt sound enough might help.

Snaking round a car park in figure of 8's would be my first port of call if i could.

#33 27-04-06 21:30:29

sw
Verified Member

It's all starting to make sense (well almost!). Had the best day so far today. I've had a few pupils who have moved from two other instructors who have 'left'. They're at varying stages of learning ranging from 6 to about 25 hours. I'm quite aware of not trying to contradict what the other instructor has taught them. One of them had been taught by somebody else and had never heard of MSM, her instructor had told her we're not going to worry about mirrors for now, just how we drive the car. To me that sounded worrying and so we spent the time working on basics when to use mirrors, why and how etc. She said to me at the end she felt comfortable with me and that she'd learnt stuff and would be paying for 10 hours on her next lesson so thats a vote of confidence! I felt on both my lessons today I was actually dealing with the core competencies a lot better, something which i hadn't been doing enough on my previous lessons if im honest. If they were making the same mistake twice, they often knew why they were doing it the second time which I guess is a good sign.

On another note, I have a new pupil on Saturday. I spoke to her brother yesterday to confirm the lesson and he said she's Spanish and speaks very little English and so have to go very slow. Now I dont want to pre-judge her but i'm going to feel bad taking money from her if it's clear she doesn't understand. Would you decide early on if you can teach her or not, maybe advising she has a Spanish speaking instructor if there is one locally (id be happy to look into it for her) or keep going hoping the she'll understand and it will get better? I feel if she doesn't understand she's a) wasting her money as it'll take a lot longer for her or b) do I just perservere?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received as ever.

Board footer