You are not logged in.

#1 13-04-06 20:38:35

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Continued Professional Development

Can anyone tell me me what courses are available on CPD ?
Has DSA made any comments regards the CPD ?

13-04-06 20:38:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Continued Professional Development

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 13-04-06 20:48:38

Moominhater

Don't think so,  don't recall anyone here mentioning it yet?  Could be wrong tough.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 13-04-06 21:14:37

ExAdiNigel

Can anyone tell me me what courses are available on CPD ?
Has DSA made any comments regards the CPD ?

Absolutely loads, what sort of course do you fancy?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 13-04-06 21:18:38

Roadmaster
Verified Member

yikes Not sure which course that is why I asked !

#5 13-04-06 21:22:27

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Ask yourself if you want to improve your driving skills, your knowledge of driving, your teaching skills or your business skills.

It's a lot easier to think of a course if you know what you want to acheive.

I'm sure we'll tell you more if you tell us more 8-)

Regards,

#6 13-04-06 21:24:00

Moominhater

OK, I was wrong (again!) sorry.  I think I spend most of my waking life aleep.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

#7 13-04-06 21:25:35

sipin
Verified Member

The DSA like you to have taken the Cardington test, got nothing to do with £117 they charge for it

Even when things go wrong you can learn from them

#8 13-04-06 21:28:25

Roadmaster
Verified Member

I am interested in having guidance on HPT as i only managed to score 60%
Also lesson structure and planning check test training

#9 14-04-06 05:53:36

ExAdiNigel

Personally, I wouldn't bother with HPT.  You've passed it and will gain nothing more from trying to improve your score on it - spend that time on something more productive.

There are lots of companies offering check test training, I'm sure someone who has attended such and then had a good check test pass can recommend someone close to you. 

Lesson structure?  Where did you learn?  Your original trainer should have gone through this with you when you trained.  Would it be possible for you go back to your original trainer and just ask advice on that?  Others on here may well be able to help you through the forum too (not me though - I'm far too disorganised and could probably benefit from any advice given on this too!)

Good Luck

Nigel

#10 14-04-06 07:26:26

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Just a quick question - did you pass the hazard perception? 60% of 75 is 45.

If you do need any advice then please ask, but basically I would suggest clicking as soon as you see a potential, and 2 or 3 times when it develops.

No double clicking or rythmical clicking.

I ended up with a good score, but with 10 to 15 flags on almost every clip.

The problem with this exam is that there is not much chance of practicing the same standard of clip as on the test and you can't get an accurate assessment of whether you will pass or not.

Regards,

#11 14-04-06 10:37:50

whodareswins
Verified Member

Again,

Pardon me for being "thick" (newbie-itis?) but - how can any "provider" advertise CPD courses before the DSA has even defined what it is going to consist of ??    Also, it seems to me that any courses advertised now will not count towards the DSA requirements (whatever they are?) anyway. I am going to wait until I understand exactly what the requirements ARE, who the accredited providers will be, and compare the course prices if various providers are offering the same things.

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 14-04-06 11:21:47

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Again,

Pardon me for being "thick" (newbie-itis?) but - how can any "provider" advertise CPD courses before the DSA has even defined what it is going to consist of ??    Also, it seems to me that any courses advertised now will not count towards the DSA requirements (whatever they are?) anyway. I am going to wait until I understand exactly what the requirements ARE, who the accredited providers will be, and compare the course prices if various providers are offering the same things.

Percy

CPD has been around for many years, the difference is the take up has been so poor by many ADI's that the DSA now see the need to make it a compulsory part of our professional carreer.

When considering any cpd start with what you feel your particular need is, It may be fleet, your own personal driving, HPT or the management of your business to name but a few. Any CPD requirements from the DSA are going to contain an elective and compulsory element so you choose your elective parts.

Much talk has been put out on previous qualifications not counting towards CPD and well to quote myself I have been doing CPD in some form or another for some years now and just because the DSA say its now compulsory wont change things for me all that will happen is I will look for the next element to progress my carreer but now the DSA will aknowledge it. My CPD I have done will only make further CPD easier. That being proven now as my Diploma is making my 7407 city and guilds so much easier.

Some of the Orginisations can help with CPD by offering various courses

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#13 14-04-06 19:37:30

whodareswins
Verified Member

Marconi,

I tend to hide my light under a bushel (so to speak).

I am an ADI (Grade 6), I am fleet registered, I have the Dip. DI, I have an MBA from a previous life, I am a fellow of the Institute of Sales and Marketing Management and a few other "things" from BTEC and C&G. I reckon I'm pretty much on top of my game. Probably more qualified than the vast majority of the so-called professionals at the DSA and those that will be running the CPD courses that I will have to attend.

What exactly do YOU suggest I do to "further" my career??

Percy

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#14 14-04-06 20:02:08

jr
Verified Member

Get Trevors Job, you seem more qualified wink

#15 14-04-06 20:09:11

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Ahhh I see your point, a question I have often thought about, what to do when we can not go any further.
There must come a point where saturation is achieved.

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

#16 14-04-06 20:22:04

ExAdiNigel

....There must come a point where saturation is achieved.

Yep!  After about 10 cans of Stella!  Hic!

#17 16-04-06 20:20:09

Jed

Be careful with some of the CPD courses because like the DSA some companies want to line their pockets with your money !

#18 16-04-06 21:59:40

blindspot

""There must come a point where saturation is achieved.""

Never will.

Take the RoSPA test and you have to retest periodically.

Its not all about qualifications but also up-dating existing knowledge and skills .

The DipDI taken 10 years ago was then. What about now and the changes in law and technology etc ?

B'spot

#19 16-04-06 22:34:45

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Good and valid point blindspot

CPD will never end for us. Thank god I was getting worried I would run out.

The DIAmond special test is to become renewable in line with the ROSPA

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

#20 17-04-06 10:00:16

gearstick

CPD is good news for the industry i think we can all agree on that.
But until finalised i will not be taking any courses as i want to know that the course i take counts for the cpd.
I do however keep up to date with any changes within the industry concerning rule changes etc.

Just imagine like marconi you take loads of different cpd courses being offered now, then when finalised you are told none of them count towards your cpd even though they form part of the cpd,because you took them earlier.This is a possible scenario. Would you then pay again and retake them.

Lets keep up to date,but wait for CPD to be finalised!!

#21 17-04-06 10:38:11

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

CPD is about continuing to improve your development, why shoul qualifications taken years ago count. What do people think that when the COMPULSORY cpd comes in they take a few courses and thats it? No it CONTINUES as I will continue like many like me. I don't expect what I have done in the past to count that would not be a continuation would it.

We each need to look at where are careers are going and what angle or need we each have that needs developing, it may be fleet or instructor training, perhaps you need more skill in your driving technique the choices are plentyful. And don't forget that there will be an elective part.

Not getting on with it now is like sitting back and whatching the oppertunities pass you by because when it is compulsory every body will be on the band wagon with further qualifications.

I suppose to some it up it about getting ahead of the pack. whether qualifications gained previously count towards CPD or not they are still knowledge and skills obtained and practised.

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

#22 17-04-06 11:22:01

Jed

What about those who are happy where they are and don't want to expand their career?

#23 17-04-06 11:34:49

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Thats OK but things change even there for example the DT1 is always being updated as are changes in the DL25 Driving the essential skill has changed and the Highway code is undergoing a major revamp at the moment, on the practical side in 2007 the 'eco-safe driving' will be introduced into the test. New technology in motor cars is always around.

You may be the sort of person who keeps ahead and up to date with these things but I am sure you are aware there are instructors out there who have not seen a highway code for years and don't carry one in the car. This is why the compulsory element is needed.

One of the things I often talk about is the ADI who is happy teaching learners only. I could fit into that catogory just I have expanded my tree but my heart lies with learners.

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

#24 17-04-06 11:43:38

Jed

So because a few ADIs are dropping their standards I, and lots of other good ADIs,  are being forced to start paying for something we are already doing now for free?

#25 17-04-06 12:17:54

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

unfortunatly yes.

Well thats how I see it

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

Board footer