You are not logged in.

#1 07-10-04 13:03:06

VandADI
Administrator

Road Safety and Advanced Driving

I attended  a Meeting with the IAM last night, It was conducted by the Surrey Police Casualty Reduction Officers, it was a very interesting and infomative evening, we even got to play with the hand held speed cameras and tripod cameras!!!!
There were 25 people who attended this meeting, average age was about 55.  What I am very surprised (shocked even) at, is the fact that it would appear that youngsters really are not interested in road safety, which I would have thought, seeing as this meeting is open to anyone outside of the IAM, would have been extremely beneficial to the younger generation.  It was really a case of preaching to the converted, I hasten to add.
VandADI

07-10-04 13:03:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Road Safety and Advanced Driving

#2 07-10-04 16:48:30

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hi Vanda
Glad to see you are getting involved with the group meeting ect.
We at our group have a mixture of ages,most of them are between the ages of, 18 to 30 then some in the region of 45 to 70  which is good to see.

I would love to hear what age groups are actually in your group.

Gizmotime

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 09-10-04 22:03:42

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

The problem with most of these organisations is that they are seen as too square or stuffy by the youngsters - what they need is a youth wing. Something to get them interested, then there's an opportunity to drive home a safe driving message.

I've just been contacted by an organistion promoting safer driving to 17-25 year olds about distributing some promotional material to my pupils. Check out their website at www.fmg.org.uk

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#4 10-10-04 12:58:01

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hiya
Well Max Driver have brought a book out called "DRIVE LIKE A GOD" it's an essential Advanced Driving Guide
It's a really good book aimed at the younger driver,the book has been combined with expert help from IAM Observers and IAM fleet trainers,There words not mine.

The book is priced at £7.99 it can be bought from any good bookstore or the IAM.

IAM website is. www.IAM.org.uk

Max Driver website is.    www.max.driver.com

I have really enjoyed reading it and it's worth the money.

No I'm not on commission to say this. wink

#5 10-10-04 22:26:21

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

I'll have to have a look for this.

BTW the website address is www.max-driver.com

Jason Garbutt
GDlogom.gif

#6 10-10-04 22:46:02

Gizmotime
Administrator

So it is sorry I got my . and my - mixed up  roll

Thanks for correcting it. smile

#7 10-10-04 22:51:45

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

No problem  big_smile

Jason Garbutt
GDlogom.gif

#8 12-10-04 21:06:07

Stephen7738

Hello,
         Everyone I am new to the site and this is my first posting I have been a member of my local IAM group since 1992,and over the years there has been a small number of younger people joining ie 40s there seems to be a stigma attached to the IAM from the younger element ie the 20 - 30s however there seems to be a change in the air about the attitude that the IAM portraits and they are trying to address the imbalance,however they will have a hard job on there hands trying to get the younger ones to join as they have nothing to offer them in the terms of excitement which most of you will agree that when they pass there test they just want to get out there and drive how they want to and deal with the consequences when they present themselves. And like many groups up and down the country they all have the old dinasaur brigade the ones who will resist change,that being qualified observer and senior observer,the IAM needs to encourage the word of advanced driving by attending meetings where there are large groups of young drivers gathered together and doing all sorts of stupid stunts. Mostof the younger ones who join the IAM are normally converted as you put it so there is very little work needed on these ones.So you are right a lot of groups need to bring there observers into the 21st century.
                        Stephen

#9 12-10-04 21:47:35

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hello Stephen
Welcome to the site, whilst I agree with most of what you say, I have to say that at our local group we have brought the Observers into the 21st century.

Still we were all young once smile  must admit though I didn't want drive like a lunatic I had worked hard for my licence, and I think what a lot of young ones have to realise is, that the licence is a privilege not a God given right wink

Regards Giz

#10 12-10-04 21:53:01

Stephen7738

I agree but we still need to progress the younger ones in there driving style as most of them have no sense of danger,and why should we wait until they either spoil everything for themselves or some other innocent road users.
                                                           stephen

#11 12-10-04 21:58:57

Gizmotime
Administrator

I agree with you but we can't force them can we?

I think maybe if they were made to do either Pass Plus or Advance driving as a follow on to there driving test then maybe we would get somewhere with them.

This could go on all night,Sorry :oops:

#12 12-10-04 22:08:33

Stephen7738

Just all night ha ha.
                              Stephen

#13 12-10-04 22:14:49

Gizmotime
Administrator

Well that's for starters haha

Gizmotime

#14 30-10-04 21:58:11

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

The idea of getting on 'their level' is a good one, like attending local meeting for young drivers.

The excitement is what young people want and if they get safety rammed down them at every turn then its not going to be what they want to do.

One idea would be to deliver the course in such a way, that any young driver would want to take it and reccomed it to friends.
As a driving instructor i find my self getting on with young drivers very well because i get on their level, See it from there point of view and slowly but surley change it to a safety issue without them knowing.

One meeting i was at for Advanced driver course, the speaker said;
And this is aimed at the younger ones - we will not be speeding, driving fast nor will we be doing hand brake turns, the course it about safety.

Nothing wrong with that, but to the younger ones it sounds 'boring' i can hear them tell their mates now 'some old bloke banging on about safety'
It need to be structured in a much better way.

Regards

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 31-10-04 07:13:47

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

Gizmotime wrote:

Hello Stephen
I think what a lot of young ones have to realise is, that the licence is a privilege not a God given right wink
Regards Giz

I can imagine the reaction by many young people I know to that statement! - You are quite rightly saying the IAM needs to have a modern attitude yet this statement is the sort of 'old fashioned' view that holds you back. In today's modern world, it IS a right to hold a license, not a privilege. The young people are not stupid - they know their rights.

What you need to be teaching is that the right to hold a license needs to be earned by correct training, and to retain that right, you need to maintain certain standards and try to improve your skills.

The way to get through to todays youngsters is by giving them a feeling of responsibility and by using the safety message: tell them they are handling a lethal weapon, tell them they have the ability to wipe out whole families within seconds. That will get their attention, now tell them what they can do to make sure they stay safe and to protect other people.

In general, you do not want to stand up in front of a bunch of young people and lecture them on what they MUST do. You need to first explain 'why', then 'how', but the 'how' needs to be presented in an interesting and unusual way to keep their attention.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#16 31-10-04 08:47:35

Gizmotime
Administrator

MrBassMan wrote:
Gizmotime wrote:

Hello Stephen
I think what a lot of young ones have to realise is, that the licence is a privilege not a God given right wink
Regards Giz

What you need to be teaching is that the right to hold a license needs to be earned by correct training, and to retain that right, you need to maintain certain standards and try to improve your skills.

Can I just stop you there. We do NOT TEACH we are Observers,therefore we only offer Guidance.
If we TAUGHT we would have to be Adi's and 95% of us are not.

I just wanted to make the clear to you.

No Offence meant.

Gizmotime

#17 01-11-04 07:34:37

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

None taken Gizmotime, I am only just getting to grips with what the IAM does/does not do - I have my first observed drive next month.  :shock:

However, saying you do not teach and only give guidance is a play on words. The point of guidance is to inform people about a good way to do things, this is the same as educating them.

Also, the theme of this thread is about group meetings and getting young people to attend them - I imagine these meetings are intended to be educational? If they are purely social then you can forget getting young people to attend, socialising with anyone over the age of 25 simply is not cool  :cry:

BTW - You would not need to be ADIs to teach as long as you were not paid.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#18 01-11-04 08:53:55

Midge
Website

Anyone can teach, but you cannot receive money for teaching driving unless you are on the ADI register or  a licensed PDI.   If observers didn't "teach" there would be no point in them going out in the first place.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

Board footer