You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#51 18-03-06 23:25:01

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Re: PDI to ADI, my Story

Just came back to browse and discovered all these replies!!

Im really glad I discovered this forum, The help and support of everyone is incredible and I really, honestly appreciate it.

I am listening to all this GREAT advice and am definately changing my schedule!
I am getting an extra 2 hours sleep at night now, and am noticing the difference, I wake up not feeling tired, and can also get some afternoon sleep on my day off. A total of 13 hours extra sleep a week is what has changed since my accident.

I have always had a very active life outside of work, I had been a voluntary youth worker 3 nights a week for about 8 years and have stood down from all that since February to cope with the lessons.

The motivation that is driving me is the fact that I have an active Christian faith and a good supporting church. I know that this is Gods plan for the next stage of my life, so I have confidence I'll make it.

18-03-06 23:25:01

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#52 18-03-06 23:36:09

luchell

I am so chuffed at such a positive response smile. I really thought it may not seem nice but it is only because we care. Im so pleased you have made the changes. It goes to show you're putting your training first. If you want to be an Adi something has to give to allow you to give your best without feeling too tired. If you feel coming up to part three things are not quite as together as you would like them i would always say do not go! Dont waste a chance or a life if you will.

Hopefully you will know the week before if you feel ready enough BUT if you feel it strongly too late to cancel i know its alot of money but lose it. Money can be made again, that attempt cannot be claimed back.

#53 24-03-06 15:20:44

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Major spanner in the works today!!!

Took the car to Vauxhall yesterday because there was a shuddering sound coming from what I thought was the suspension, and a squelching when negotiating speed ramps even at slow speed.

Their response: "When did you last check the tyre pressures?"
Me: "Just yesterday, I set them to handbook guidelines"

Then up on ramp to check suspension/ shock absorbers.
Turns out the garage I have always used to inflate my tyres, their guage is way out...i mean i had anything ranging from 42psi- 32psi!!

Anyway, they deflate the tyres to what they say they should be and see no problems with any of the suspension etc and send me home.

Car felt ok going home, until....

Going to work this morning, there is this horrible shuddering and squeaking even as Im moving off. refused to go more than 30mph for fear of doing serious damage, bit at 4am there isnt much else i can do only keep going, ended up 20 mins late for work.

Called back at same Vauxhall dealership straight after work, got hi to drive it and he reckons the noise is from the gearbox :'(

Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with this before?
My car is a Corsa 1.3 cdti, its 18 months old with 19000 miles.
Is the gearbox covered by warranty or am I looking at a huge repair bill or replacement?

Either way looks like im out of action for my teaching for a bit :-

Ah well, at least I can moan about it!

#54 24-03-06 16:05:37

evan

Was your car making these noises before your recent bump?, Because I have exactly the same car it has 18,500 miles on it, but it is only 6 months old, and has not developed any of the noises you describe. Ev

#55 24-03-06 17:47:29

Andi

I hada 6 month old 1.3 cdti, and had major problems with gearbox/linkage and clutch + various bits falling off and it leaked!

I got rid after many arguments with VX...clutch not covered even though this car had only done 10,000 miles! Gearbox, maybe? They are a law unto them selves...take no messing and threaten them with Trading Standards!

Andi

1.gif

#56 24-03-06 17:56:03

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Thanks. I think there were slight noises before the bump, but apparantly all suspension etc was thoroughly checked and all sound.
Im about to go to a friend who is a mechanic and works in MOT centre for a second opinion of the problem. I trust his judgement entirely.

Begining to wonder about the cars history.
It was registered in GB 09/04 and possibly was a demonstrator.  The original tax book had the name of a garage as its owner, car then sent to N.Ireland with 8000 miles sometime after then.  I bought with cash in sept 05.

VX said it could be that its been driven by a boy racer at some stage and this has damaged the gearbox, but who knows?

#57 24-03-06 18:14:50

Andi

It  is moe likely to have been and EX demo or Ex rental car johny1 Mine was an Ex rental car. Either way....do get it checked out matey....ive got a C3 now, in approx 5 weeks ive put 4000 miles on the clock (its now at 8,000) and its sweet! Not a murmer from anywhere.....best thing i did, was get rid of the Corsa.

But...previously i had a 02 petrol Corsa sport and it was fantastic! shame i ever got rid of that one... neutral

Andi

1.gif

#58 24-03-06 18:29:09

evan

Corsa's are funny beasts, I had 12 during my time with BSM and every one was different, I had 2 out of the 12 with what I call friendly clutches the others were dogs. The CDTI corsa I have now is brilliant, but I personally think BSM get Friday afternoon cars. Ev

#59 24-03-06 18:46:00

luchell

Yes interesting. I had four corsas with Bsm and every single one something went wrong with. In the end i really developed this feeling that vauxhall were sending all the unsellable corsas to bsm or something. Just couldnt put my fingers on it. Mainly brake failure with the ones i had  roll

Is it under any sort of warranty? If not welcome to my world. My clio has cost me a fortune in repairs and downtime but i love it. Just wish the garage that sold it to me told me it had rather bad starting problems BEFORE i bought it  roll Welcome to the world of car trouble  neutral

#60 24-03-06 18:59:58

evan

If you are having starting problems Hayley this is normally down to heater plug malfunction (diesel) which should be easy to sort out. If one plug goes down on a diesel, it can cause major probs it just a case of changing them. Ev

#61 24-03-06 19:54:49

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

;D ;D
I can now officially laugh at Vauxhall!!!

I took the car to my mechanic friend tonight and he diagnosed the problem before he had even brought the clutch fully out from moving off at an angle.

I even fixed it myself within 2 minutes!!!

The wheel nuts had came loose ;D !!!!

Gearbox??? Ill show them a gearbox !!

Thats cheered me up  smile

#62 26-03-06 01:08:03

Andi

OMG.....once had that with a fiat   :oops: :oops:...bad...very very bad.... yikes

Andi

1.gif

#63 31-03-06 18:34:26

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Its now 5 weeks till my 1st attempt at part3 and lately Ive been feeling like I'd taken a back step.
I was unprepared for my training sessions and was just not even getting the briefing right.

Last week I was unable to have my lesson as I had car "problems" (see my last post) but promised my trainer that he would see an improvement next time.

I have had some mediocre lessons with my pupils this week and was really feeling like Im not able to do this, but today I had what i see as my biggest breakthrough lesson yet!!

I came prepared to do the reverse park and meet/anticipate/clearance.
The rev park briefing was even better than my trainers one (so he said anyway) and I kept right on him from the start, keeping him slow, giving me loadsa time.

The meet etc briefing wasnt quite as good and got confused a bit, but I did cover everything but need to be quicker!

On the drive I wasnt focussing on the lesson and watching for his mirror checks, when I should've been asking about the pelican crossing around the corner.

He did a talkthrough for a bit and then I was back in control again.  He was particularly impressed as I spotted a woman with umbrella turn into a road ahead, which we were then going to turn into.  I said " see the lady there...where might she go next, when we cant see her?"  "she may decide to cross the road" 
Then as we entered the road she was walking toward a car parked half on half off the pavement.  I said she may actually walk round the car onto the road.  Guess what...she did

That made both our days.  It was like I almost made her do it cos I had just said so. It was brill!

I feel like the final pieces of the jigsaw are falling into place at last and just in time too.

PS, any tips for my 1st lesson with a guy who has been driving for years in, and need to Egypt and has just got his provisional over here and needs to get a full licence for his new job?

#64 07-04-06 16:41:08

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

...Now the downside again.  I had a bummer lesson today. I just dont seem to be analysing and rectifying faults as I should be.  I know that Im doing it, but just cant think of anything to ask or say when the fault occurs, other than "c'mon lets keep up with these cars in front and not hold up traffic too much." (Progress hesitancy lesson)

I have now only 27 days until my 1st attempt and with huge waiting times (now July) I may only get 2 attempts!

Im really beginning to panic now.

I need to try and really focus on fault analysis, while Im out with my pupils, but Im finding this a real struggle.

worried

#65 07-04-06 16:44:48

evan

How do you find fault analysis when you are in the car with your trainer JonnyG, because you have just highlighted an interesting point in your post. Ev

#66 10-04-06 12:37:07

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I find it hard when Im with my trainer.  I tend to not treat him like a pupil, and am more relaxed. He does make mistakes and I usually spot them, but fail to make any comment on them sometimes.  Other times I see the fault and tell him not to do that, but instead do this... He tells me that doing this is not enough, I need to help him understand why he cant do it that way, and then make sure he doesnt do it next time. 
I know this is what Im supposed to do, but am finding it difficult to follow through on the identification.

I think after my last lesson I have improved on my analysis, with my own pupils. One example is approaching roundabouts too fast, and speeding up going around them.  I got him into 2nd gear and staying in it, without him having to stop, handbrake 1st gear, when we could have progressed on.  I think it was the fact he then didnt need to change into 2nd then do his left checks all on top of each other, that convinced him it was better to plan early and approach at a slower speed.

Ive 3 pupils this afternoon and am going to try and focus on going that bit further in my analysis.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#67 10-04-06 18:27:32

evan

I find it hard when Im with my trainer.  I tend to not treat him like a pupil, and am more relaxed.

Well done Jonny you've just highlighted the difference between a trainer doing PST's and a pupil on a real driving lesson.
If things goes wrong with your trainer, at the back of your mind you know he can get himself out of it. With a pupil things can go a little faster than you would like and that is why you are having problems analyzing and rectifying the faults the same with a pupil. You know that you have a big responsibility, so by the time you have analyzed the fault you could be heading towards another problem ahead.
This is where the planning of your lesson routes and lesson plans come in for each of your pupils. Before you go for your lessons try to remember what the last lesson went like, and work a route out so that you can address certain issues of their driving before moving on. Make sure what you are doing with each pupil matches their ability with a little more challenge brought in as they improve.
If things are going to fast you need to slow it down, get them back into a safe route and go over things with them again. Pupils won't mind this as they want to get it right as well, not continue having re-occurring problems so evaluate your lessons and plan, you'll get the hang of it, we have all gone through the ''oh my God that didn't go as I wanted'' scenario.

Hope this helps you a bit. Ev

#68 24-04-06 12:36:11

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Hi again people. Im back from my Easter break and Im realising that I take my 1st attempt in 10 days time yikes

Im hoping that the break has done me some good and that I canreally focus on these core comps on my lessons.

Im having 2 more sessions with my trainer before then so I hope to expose my weaknesses and get them ironed out!

anyway Im off to take my slow progress pupil around some more roundabouts...

#69 24-04-06 14:33:07

corsa
Verified Member
Website

try doing a commentary drive when you are out on your own you might find that a help good luck

if in doubt don t pull out
www.cartuition.co.uk

#70 27-04-06 19:44:36

JRIsidore
Verified Member

JonnyG

Congratulations on passing part 2!!

JR

#71 27-04-06 19:47:57

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Thanks JR. smile

#72 28-04-06 16:54:24

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Bad lesson today... So bad in fact I was left asking myself, what is phase 2??!!
When we started into phase 2 on meet adequate clearance anticipation, I just went blank...I couldnt even open my mouth, I got so confused about what to do.
I really need a question bankfor phase2 and get it sorted quick.!

Am I ever going to be good enough to pass this?? :'(

#73 28-04-06 17:07:02

Andi

You need to get your ''best head on'' on also get reading them books!!

4th May will soon be here....

Maybe you are just having a bad day johnny??

Andi

1.gif

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#74 28-04-06 19:22:17

evan

Bad lesson today... So bad in fact I was left asking myself, what is phase 2??!!
When we started into phase 2 on meet adequate clearance anticipation, I just went blank...I couldnt even open my mouth, I got so confused about what to do.
I really need a question bankfor phase2 and get it sorted quick.!

Am I ever going to be good enough to pass this?? :'(

With regards to a question bank for phase 2 Jonny, if you look at what you teach for phase 1, these are the answers you want to your questions for phase 2.

ie: you teach a pupil on phase one approaching junctions to turn left or right:

PHASE 1
you teach the pupil that the clutch must be up no coasting

PHASE 2 approaching junctions to turn left or right:

Question: where must the clutch be when we are turning left or right?

What happens to the car if we keep the clutch down?

and the questions just keep leading on if you see what I mean.

Hope this helps a bit. Ev

#75 02-05-06 18:34:36

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

OK its right on my doorstep...(The ADI green badge that is) Ive got 43 hours left before im sitting at the test centre waiting to take out my new "pupil". Apparantly Im meeting him there and he's going to tell me what he needs taught when I get there.

Im as prepared as I can be, and have briefings, diagrams all ready for whatever I get. Iv just gottas keep thinking, what's he going to do wrong, and how can I make sure he doesnt even get a chance to do it??  by taking control from the minute my hand touches that door handle!

Last week I was a nervous wreck, but was actually more nervous about leaving my work!! yikes even though I cant stand the place.  I realised I couldnt possibly go into my test feeling like this, so I gave my notice on Saturday!!

Now im looking forward to thursday and am thinking positive about success and that envelope containing my ADI licence lying in the hallway!!

Ive waited 2 years for this (almost to the day) and Im not falling at this final hurdle now!!!

Board footer