You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 09-03-04 01:50:40

Unplugged

Beat the Cameras

The person responsible for scribbling on this camera needs a spelling lesson. This is one of several Truvelos that have just been installed in Kent and they are obviously not proving very popular. This camera is only a short distance from the one above and may have been attacked by the same person.

g112.jpg

Hmmm my spellings bad but it wasent me lol

09-03-04 01:50:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Beat the Cameras

#2 09-03-04 08:09:44

Liesa

Well whether or not you agree with these things, just remember we shouldn't condone what these vandals have done.

#3 09-03-04 14:44:25

Unplugged

Maybe not but recent polls show that a majority 70% + beleaves that the majority of the cameras are placed to make money. But then of course you always find them outside schools and never on Motorways and downhill slopes and hidden behind signs on a 60 to 30 speed change.

g151.jpg

Beleave it or not theres a gatso in this picture

g59.jpg

Oh there it is  roll

g61.jpg

Maybe shouldent but I laugth everytime I pass a gutted out camera I kinda think its justice in a way. I dont speed often but hey it happens esp if you traveling down hill and you wanna concentrate on the road and not the speedo, and theres definatly nothing funny about being flashed by a camera hidden behind a signpost when you ragging it like micheal scumacker at 35mph down a hill.

#4 09-03-04 21:51:30

Liesa

Hi unplugged

I know what you mean.

Not too far from where I live, there are 2 cameras placed on the wall of a petrol station forecourt. Around the perimeter of the forecourt are trees, but the cameras are placed in such a way that they are totally hidden from veiw.

I only noticed them, when I saw a flash comming from 1 of them, whilst sitting on the forecourt waiting for a pupil to get cash out of the ATM

I hope you weren't offended by what I wrote earlier?

#5 10-03-04 00:29:54

Unplugged

Not at all ive been in numerous debates and the consensus is always the same and the trouble is like it or not more will get vandlised and once people work out all you have to do to avoid a £60 fine and 3 points is to put an old tire round it and torch it I see more of it happening :? when they first started coming out people accepted them and now people are viewing it as a stealth tax.

Its still a fact that the two worst roads in britain for accidents are speed camera free and the two safest were plastered in speed cameras.

We are pretty lucky Kent isnt to bad they are about but not anywhere near other places ive been to. I cant think of that many badly placed ones but they do exist theres one pretty annoying one in Sturry Cantebury that is hidden behind a bus shelter but it has been moved and is now just visible above it.

In Hythe the one down London Road has been moved as it was hidden behind a bush on a steep down hill slope.

The Truvelo in Sandgate has been there since the summer I think and I always see long panic marks going up to it as I pass it as its positioned on a 30 Road which most people do 40 - 50+ down as there is a cliff one side and sea the other :?

If you ever have the pleasure of visiting Northhamptonshire the whole county is littered with them its not uncommon to see one every 400 yards or so on a Dual Carrigeway and just driving up to a roundabout you will see the SPECS cameras littered about the place which brings the argument if speed cameras are there to make you slow down then why position them on a pole 10ft off the ground that can be mistaken for road cameras.

They are small not particually visable and are designed to catch you speeding over distances. Not a very effective way of making you slow down imo

#6 10-03-04 08:12:07

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Am I losing my sense of humour?

When you've seen the devastation that speed causes to peoples lives you just can't laugh so much at wrecked speed cameras.

There is a debate to be had about them. But not in the funny section.

Regards,

#7 10-03-04 09:01:34

Midge
Website

Thanks, Big Red. 
In my area they are putting speed cushions on two major roads, although the only  serious accidents have been caused my motocycles speeding. (This type don't slow the motorbykes down). No one living in the area wants them, they are being forced on us by county coucillors, none of whom live in the area, just to use money provided by central government (your taxes). We've asked for speed cameras, among other methods of traffic calming , but they won't listen (the money can be spent on any traffic calming measures) The really sick thing is the two roads are the route to the local cemetary, and the funeral firms have stated that they cannot take their hearses over these humps, due to the damage to the underneath of the vehicles.
As far as I'm concerned the humps punish the innocent, speed cameras only punish the guilty,
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#8 10-03-04 13:56:01

Unplugged

Yes speed kills and most of the ones I see in my area are placed for safety as before stated there aren’t many of them but ive seen some and it makes you think "police fund please give generously" 

If motorways are still some of the safest roads in Europe why not move the Speed Cameras they have littered across them outside schools. When they first started using them people were sympathetic towards them now they are just viewing them as another way to rinse tax out of motorists and more will get destroyed. Councils were told "Either paint them bright colours or you wont be able to keep any of the cash" I think only two councils said "Yes their all for safety so that doesn’t bother us"

I also think it was Northampton that were making so much they couldn’t spend all the proceeds and had to give the money back into the government but instead of putting it back into the road the government are thinking of giving it to "The victims of crime" so somebody gets mugged and the motorists pay up. There was also the camera that was catching nearly 100 people a day on a motorway or dual carriageway and was dubbed "The most profitable in Britain" until somebody backed into it with a truck.

Most ive seen in Kent are ok but I don’t see any one in a rush to place one for example outside the school in Coolinge Lane to replace that pathetic speed hump instead they decided to place another along the seafront and two near the dual carriageway on the way into Ramsgate and when you consider how much these cost and where they are being placed is it any wonder that people are starting to take a negative view towards them?

If their was no money to be made out of them other than say £10 fine to replace the films and 3 points you can almost be certain that there wouldn’t be anywhere near as many. They were supposed to make people Slow Down rather than catch people but that soon changed when they turned into a profit-making feature and started hiding them in obscure locations and top of 10ft poles.

This is Probably why they are thinking of removing over 500 of them and replacing them with the flashing signs.

Maybe this should be moved to a more appropriate location.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 10-03-04 13:58:29

Unplugged

Midge wrote:

Thanks, Big Red. 
In my area they are putting speed cushions on two major roads, although the only  serious accidents have been caused my motocycles speeding. (This type don't slow the motorbykes down).

Most speed cameras don’t effect motorcyclists at all as they are not required to have a front number plate and the new trend with near enough every speed camera now is to catch a picture from the front. I know many motorcyclists who laugh at the new Truevelo cameras and brag that they speed up because they know theirs no fear they will get caught.

#10 17-03-04 22:19:28

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

In Tiddington (Oxfordshire)  a Gatso speed camera was hidden by a large tree.   Instead of moving the camera they chopped down the tree !!

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#11 17-03-04 23:17:12

DAVE-ADI

SPEED KILLS? 

No it doesn't.    I regularly get my pupils driving at 60mph on sutable roads without a problem.

INAPROPRIATE SPEED KILLS.

#12 18-03-04 00:51:00

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I feel the problem is the government are trying to tackle this on a large scale when they don't have to !

People who cause harm to others by speeding get a long term in jail and are banned for life.To dam soft, thats what we are.

like a lot of things in life; if the risk is small we will take a chance.

#13 18-03-04 23:11:25

skier

Unplugged, you admit to speeding, and inappropriate speed kills. Anything over a speed limit is inappropriate. Have you booked a day in your diary in the future as when you are going to have that unlucky day when tragedy strikes you or an innocent person :?:

#14 19-03-04 00:17:43

Unplugged

Yup I admit to speeding and anyone who says they don’t speed occasionally is lying.

There’s speeding deliberately (IE 45/50 in a 30 zone) and theres speeding when your not unaware for example going down a hill you glance down whoops im doing 35/40. or your overtaking on a dual carriageway doing 60/65 and find yourself doing 75/80 (and you still get people up your behind lol ) point is my car picks up from 70 to 80 pretty easily and rather than overtaking them bang on 70 I usually speed up to 75 until I clear them then slow down. rather than spend the whole time overtaking looking at my Speedo to make sure im not going over 70 I would rather keep my eyes on what the cars next to me are doing if there’s a camera there and you drift to 76 then you get busted.

9 times out of 10 I stick to the speed limit if I glance down and see im over then I will slow down and have done for 4 years and hence my licence is still clean. My point is I like to look at the road when im driving and not having to spend half my time looking at the Speedo.

My other point was that I dont see many people getting mown down on Dual Carriageways and Motorways which are statistically the safest roads. The majority of accidents on this type of road are caused by Driver Error and NOT SPEED however they insist on installing the cameras here to get money rather than placing them outside schools and in town centres. Hence why these are the cameras are being seen as Revenue Generating and are getting smashed up.

Condone it or not its happening and its going to happen more as stated in  my first post public opinion has now changed towards them and people are viewing them as a tax rather than to save life’s.

Its also a theory and one I can believe totally is that if you take 3 cars and put one in each lane of a motorway and get them to drive at 70 mph you will gridlock the entire motorway while technically breaking no laws smile

#15 19-03-04 00:51:29

pageant

Blimey, at last!!! Politically incorrect debate!!! Just when I thought this place was soooooo boring ( in a nice way of course ). Unplugged, whether I agree or disagree with you, you are indeed a breath of fresh air. You and skier would have THE most interesting debates. Go to the 'life in the fast lane' post and really get it off your chest!

Board footer