You are not logged in.

#1 20-09-04 16:55:14

dorey

bad habits (not the picking of nose at traffic lights type)

How naughty is it to use the inside of the steering wheel (hand upside down) when im reversing.  If i hold it at the top (like i should) i find it uncomfortable to reverse, if i hold it at the top but use the inside, i find it much easier.  Will i get marked down for this in my test?

Also wanna get my instructor a little pressie, after i have driven him up the wall and round the bendand eventually passed my test, anybody got any ideas for any wacky, individual ideas? don't think he is a choccie/beer/flower kinda guy.

cheers
Dorey xx tongue

20-09-04 16:55:14

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: bad habits (not the picking of nose at traffic lights type)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 24-09-04 01:14:23

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure about what you mean, but in general when you are turning the wheel in reverse you should have 2 hands on the wheel.

Try one at the top and one at the bottom, you may find your elbow gets in the way when you put one hand at the bottom of the wheel so turn a little to the left in your seat to help you get more space.

A Thank You card would be great as a pressie.

#3 24-09-04 08:09:06

Midge
Website

I always teach my pupils to use just one hand on the wheel, probably at the top, while reversing in a straight line,  you need to steady it with the other hand when you start going round the corner.   In twenty years I've never had anyone get a fault, minor or serious, for it.   Most people find it very uncomfortable to hold the wheel with both hands while reversing for any length of time, if they're looking round properly that is.
It could be dangerous to hold the wheel on the inside though.   I've heard of someone knock their thumb out of joint when he lost control and the wheel spun back.   You should always be careful to keep control of the wheel with at least one hand at a time and that means on the outside of the wheel.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#4 28-09-04 15:46:26

TimApps

It's vital that whatever technique you employ, it's comfy. Otherwise you won't improve.
Don't hold the inside of the wheel, this puts your arm at an unnatural angle and would compromise control
One hand at the top of the wheel is fine for a straight reverse. You might mention that is your intention to the instructor/examiner as you do so... it's an invasion of space thing as you turn around.
The problem with the one hand thing is that you may just momentarily remove your hand from the wheel whilst moving the vehicle, resulting in a fault.
Best continue practicing with both hands on the wheel, remembering to stop as you finish the straight bit of the reverse and take effective observation before starting the turn.
Thank you card is a great pressie ... and no danger of misinterpretation  big_smile

Board footer