You are not logged in.

#1 25-09-04 15:55:43

VandADI
Administrator

I passed IAM test

Well, I took the IAM Advanced Driving test today, and passed with flying colours.
I really enjoyed the 90 minute drive, I wasn't at all nervous, not like when I was taking the DSA Part 2 Driving test. We covered all types of roads, e.g. country, town, Motorway, d/carriageways, driving in rain, the lot.  So, to say I am happy is an understatement. Am seriously thinking about becoming an Observer next.
VandADI.

25-09-04 15:55:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: I passed IAM test

#2 25-09-04 16:02:33

Gizmotime
Administrator

Vanda  lol  lol  I am really really pleased for you, Congratulations girl smile

You know where I am if you need any tips/help ect.

Regards Giz smile

#3 25-09-04 23:03:56

jonks

Congratulations Vanda

Well done indeed!!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 26-09-04 10:54:52

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

Well done VandADI

What preparations did you need beforehand?

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#5 26-09-04 12:21:29

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Mr Bass Man,
I needed very little preparation as having already taken the DSA Part 2 test, this helped tremendously.  I had 5 hours of observed drives before taking the test and to be honest, I found it very easy.
VandADI

#6 26-09-04 12:30:33

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hi VandaADI

I think you found it very easy because as you say, You had already done the DSA part 2, but for anyone else I think they would find it a little difficult at first.
I know I did,as I had been driving for such a long time and never done any other test.

Giz

#7 26-09-04 12:40:52

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Giz,
The IAM test does require a high standard of driving, which I have found, is way beyond the standard that is required for DSA Part 2, so yes, It is a difficult, and challenging test. My Examiner had commented that in the past he has had many a driving instructor take the IAM test, but have failed because their standard of driving has been abysmally poor   roll He probably thought, ''oh no, not another driving instructor that thinks they can drive''  wink
VandADI

#8 26-09-04 13:20:23

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hi VandaADI

Well I'm gob smacked now at that :oops: Does that mean I can hold my head up high now wink
I am so glad you have said that,as I often get criticized when I mention the Advanced Driving around some ADI'S the last remark I got was.

" !!!!!!!! bored housewife nothing else better to do on a Sunday" sorry excuse the language :oops:
Thanks very much for sharing that with us Vanda your a Star wink  and well done again.

Regards Giz smile

#9 26-09-04 13:30:26

VandADI
Administrator

Hey, Giz, you are the star for dedicating your time to help others reach a high standard of driving, and correct me if Im wrong, but you do this voluntarily :?:  wink
VandADI

#10 26-09-04 13:38:32

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hi Vanda

No need to correct you Vanda, it is Voluntary Yes, I also do midweek for those associates who can't get there on a Sunday for one reason or another.

We don't collect expenses either when we do the Demonstration drives.

Giz wink

#11 27-09-04 11:22:45

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I have been considering doing an IAM course but I have now been asked if I want to become a MIDAS instructor (Hampshire County Council's Minibus Driver Awarenes Scheme) so one thing at a time...

I definitely want to do the IAM at some time so where do I start?

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#12 27-09-04 12:09:40

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Mr Bass Man,
If you check out www.iam.org.uk and click on UK group postcode search, that will locate your nearest IAM group.
Regards
VandADI

#13 27-09-04 12:49:49

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hi Mr Bass Man

If you take a look at this link it also explains what goes on. Either Myself or Vanda are here to help you if you need any.

Regards Giz

http://www.iseekhere.com/learn2drivefor … .php?t=496

#14 30-09-04 22:39:17

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Hi Vanda

Well Done! I've just paid-up to do the IAM, and am awiting my first observed run.

I'm under the impression that the IAM are more focussed on a progressive-style of driving, but I'm not really certain. Perhaps you could highlight some of the differences between IAM and Part 2...

Regards,

Jason

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#15 01-10-04 07:45:14

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Igarbutt,
You are correct in saying that the IAM test requires a more progressive drive.  However, they were flexible on speed saying that 1 or 2 miles over the speed limit would be acceptable, anything over that would not be..  The Part 2 test was no flexibility on speed at all, if you were 1 or 2 miles over it would be marked against you. You must not commit a moving traffic offence, you must always be in the right gear at the right time, and be in the lane of least resistance.  Planning ahead is crucial as this will enable you to always be in the correct lane.  There was a fair amount of chat in the car, and I think this was deliberate as I found the Examiner would start talking to me when a particular situation arose regarding multiple hazards, where a certain degree of concentration is required, and he was trying to break that concentration to see how I would cope being given multiple tasks to do. (I could be wrong, maybe Gizmo could clarify).  The whole test felt very laid back,  wheras the part 2 was not, The IAM Examiner also said that If I wanted to, I could have the radio on, this also is not acceptable on the part 2.  Even though the IAM test was longer, I found it less stressful, but at the end of the day, it all boils down to the amount of stress you put upon yourself when taking any test.  Hope this helps.
VandADI

#16 01-10-04 08:19:00

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Vanda

That's made things a little clearer. I'll try and remember to post back here with my progress.

Jason

Jason Garbutt
GDlogom.gif

#17 01-10-04 11:10:57

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Jason,
I can assure you, that you will find your observed runs informative and enjoyable.  You've done your Part 2, that will help tremendously toward the IAM test, I hope you enjoy your observed runs as much as I did.
Regards
Vanda.

#18 01-10-04 15:40:45

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Vanda, I am looking forward to it.

BTW, I've been looking at various ADI websites as I'm in the process of creating one and noticed a link on your site to the national driving centre.

I'm looking to do a skid-pan course, and as Croydon is not too far from me, I wondered if you'd used them, and would recommend them?

Regards,

Jason

Jason Garbutt
GDlogom.gif

#19 01-10-04 17:06:32

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Jason,
I did go on a skid pan course, through Kent Police College, this was brilliant and if you want anymore info, please pm me .  National Driving Centre is also very good, but have not been there. See thread on skid pan courses.
http://iseekhere.com/learn2driveforum/v … t=skid+pan
Regards
Vanda.

#20 01-10-04 19:53:27

Gizmotime
Administrator

Vanda your correct with everything you say apart from a couple of minor things that our examiner doesn't do.

Our Examiner does NOT talk to you whilst your on your test,the only words you got out of him was the instructions of where to go.

As regards the Radio we were not allowed to have that on either.

As I said earlier I found it hard but I had not had any sort of training since passing my Learner test many years ago.

I wouldn't find it hard now as I have been well groomed shall we say smile

Best of luck Jason and if you need any help we are here.

Regards Gizmotime

#21 03-10-04 05:35:07

kevdyas
Verified Member
Website

I think the commentary if you choose to do one helps alot with regards to observation, anticipation and concentration as it makes you look for things to mention.

Kevin.

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Drive iQ Pro Coach
IAM Senior Observer/DIAmond Advanced Motorist/RoSPA - Gold
www.wheelsbydrivingschool.com

#22 04-10-04 00:09:09

Gizmotime
Administrator

Well if I had my way I would make it compusery to do a commentery,picking up all raod signs ect.
But who am I to comment on that. wink

#23 31-10-04 00:07:57

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Well done VandADI  big_smile

You say that you can go over the speed limit a little but not with Part 2, Also The whole test felt very laid back, wher as the part 2 was not.

This makes me even more sure that the IAM Assessment is not any where near as Hard to pass as part 2 is, A trainer of ADI's i know will advise people to take the IAM assessment to help them pass part 2

Get a few minors and you fail part 2, but not the IAM Assessment.

Of-Course every one assess thing in a different way, so please don't take offence to my post, I am just shocked that after passing part 2 you think the IAM is harder to pass.

Don't think I'm trying to say I'm better than anyone else, i assure I'm not.
And i think all the IAM Observers do a excellent job, and for free !!

Maybe because its late i have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, lol ..

Regards

#24 14-11-04 13:38:11

Stephen7738

Vanda, well done in passing your IAM I suppose we can welcome you to the elite corps,of drivers ha ha (for Lee's benefit) no doubt I will regret this.
                                                                                      Stephen

#25 14-11-04 15:36:47

Anonymous

so why do iam and rospa base so called advanced driving on police roadcraft and not the dsa way. its the wat everone uses to pass a driving test so a advanced test should be based on this . to me it makes more sence to do it based on dsa methods. i think its a case of keeping retired police men in work

Board footer