You are not logged in.

#1 20-03-06 10:02:59

pippa
Verified Member

Should I consider getting a little car?

I'm just about to embark on my part 2 training.  I will want to get some practise on my own.  Currently, hubby and I run one car, a mondeo. It's great for general driving and towing, though when it gets around to manoeuvres, it's !!!!!!!! awkward, can use ref points on the sides, but front is difficult to judge and visibility through the back window is far from good, (tow-bar sometimes referred to as "the parking sensor!")  Basically, it's too big to be a training car.

Is it worth getting something half decent that I could use for now, which potentially could have dual contols fitted at a later date, if I go the indy route? If not, could always sell it on. Considering looking for a corsa, or similar, up to 4 years old, newer if I can afford it.  Often, we get to a point when need two cars anyway.

Any thoughts?

Pippa

20-03-06 10:02:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Should I consider getting a little car?

#2 20-03-06 10:04:10

luchell

Personally yes i think it's a good idea. You are going to have to do alot of practise in your car so you need something you will feel comfortable with.

#3 20-03-06 10:30:22

jegtag
Verified Member

Hi Pippa, I was in the same position as you, having recently passed my Part 1 with Part 2 looming on the horizon!  We had two cars; one a VW Passat estate, and the other a Saab convertible (which I mainly drove).  Apart from the fact I couldn't take my test in a convertible, it was almost impossible to see out of the back window making reversing manoevures very tricky!!  So we went out looking for a small car and ended up buying a Mini One diesel which I have just picked up and am totally in love with!! Can't see me wanting to take pupils out in it though (when the time comes........) 

#4 20-03-06 10:43:25

pippa
Verified Member

Luchell,

Thanks, it does help when someone else can justify my logic!

Jegtag,

So, you are really happy with your Mini, lucky you! Have lots of fun practising! It goes to show I'm not the only one with a big car dilemma.

Pippa

#5 20-03-06 10:47:41

luchell

If you can get another car it will make the world of difference. You need to really practice what you are learning. It would be rather hard to get your driving to part two standard i think personally without a car to practice in. Go for it if you can. As you say if you get a suitable car you can put dual controls in when the time is right so it will serve more than one purpose. lol

#6 20-03-06 11:24:12

HooHaa
Verified Member

Hi Pippa

I agree with Luchell, it will make a world of difference. Im currently half way through part 2 training and having an appropriate vehicle to practive in is invaluable, and has helped me greatly, Im so glad I changed my car before starting training.

Mark

Part 1: Passed - 23/03/06 - 100/61
Part 2: Passed - 30/05/06 - 4m
Part 3: Booked - 27/09/06

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 20-03-06 13:37:22

Andi

I was in a similar situation, i had a 4X4..totally unsuitable for part 2, so i bought a small car to get going in, i have recently changed it again, for something a little different but yes, certainly, you need all the practise you can get, a smaller more suitable car is a massive advantage at this stage in your training. wink

Andi

1.gif

#8 20-03-06 13:59:51

pippa
Verified Member

Besides, hubby got the arse when i wanted to stick blind spot mirrors and have an extra rear view mirror on the modeo. MEN! Taking past performances into account, I think I can work my way around this one. Once suggested that we got a horse, he said that if it hadn't got an engine, it was no good, so I took some flying lessons instead. I'll apply the same priciples!

Pippa

#9 20-03-06 20:05:37

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

Go for it.............I was in the same boat and I was going to use my mums KA for part 2 the only problem was the practice sessions came complete with mum big_smile big_smile big_smile now .....much as I love her, the stories of her driving lessons 45 years ago were a distraction I could manage without so I bought a second hand corsa which will start me off when I qualify. Buy the newest you can afford and practice all you can  roll
Alex

#10 20-03-06 20:34:37

Kate Ryder

It really helped me having a car to practise in when I qualified, everyone was taught how to reverse park including my then boyfriend who is now my husband! 

I have a Corsa SXi 1.2 which I'm in the process of selling if anyone is interested.  It's in Flame Red, 52 plate registered in Sept 2002, 5 door with airconditioning and He-Man duals.  I actually work for Vauxhall fulltime and only teach as a bit of a hobby so although its done 35k miles only 10% of that has been with learners.  It's got a full Vauxhall service history, MOT'd til Sept and taxed til Aug.  I'm looking for about £4500 but am open to sensible offers!

I'm changing it because my husband is now covering some mileage with his job and so we're getting a diesel for him and I'm inheriting his Astra.  I can send photos by email if anyone wants to see it.

If anyone is interested please contact me on 07775 682706 or crabtree@boltblue.com

#11 20-03-06 20:41:17

Iwade Mike
Verified Member

Pippa,

I recently passed my part two and had the same dilemma, I had a Rover 75 which has limited rear vision and could n't borrow one of the college cars for the test because of the early appointment, I also wasn't in a position to change the car. I practised in the Rover  and come the day of the test I adjusted the rear view mirrors downward to give me a better view of the kerb, white lines etc.

It did bother me but fortunately I passed, if you are in a position to do it, change the car it is one less worry.

Mike

Part (1) 20/01/06  Maidstone pass 98/66
Part (2) 09/03/06  Maidstone pass 5 minors
Part (3) 30/01/07  Hither Green Pass 4/5

#12 20-03-06 22:42:33

pippa
Verified Member

Thanks everyone,

I think I'll have a scout around the local garages, get  feel for price and spec b4 making a decision. Is there anything I should really avoid...?  Are there any common faults to look for on Corsas? Any better suggestions?

Pippa

#13 21-03-06 22:53:02

Iwade Mike
Verified Member

I have been looking at cars over the last few days and tried a Corsa the 1.2 was ok but the handbrake is suspect - in fact the car I drove rolled backwards very slightly on a steep hill with the handbrake applied.
Today I drove a Mini 1 (seven) and fell in love with it. I have made up my mind even though they are a bit more expensive.

By the way I did look at and test drive a micra, they are very basic but a lot of car for a little money.

Part (1) 20/01/06  Maidstone pass 98/66
Part (2) 09/03/06  Maidstone pass 5 minors
Part (3) 30/01/07  Hither Green Pass 4/5

#14 28-03-06 20:07:07

evan

A car you feel confident driving and teaching in is a really big psychological boost of that there is no doubt. The confidence comes from knowing what you can do yourself in a vehicle with regards to driving and manoeuvres. The other thing to consider, is that fact that once you have passed your part 2 all you have learned you will be using to teach your pupils. So if you know exactly how to do everything asked of you in your part 2 in your car, you will find it that much easier transferring the knowledge into lesson plans and then teaching it to an SE/pupil. Look at the part 2 test this way and you will see that Part 2 leads naturally into the part 3 training and test. Ev

#15 28-03-06 21:15:59

pippa
Verified Member

Little car is definitely on the agenda now. I've got to have a good tyre kicking session, get around a few garages and decide what's right.  Can't afford new, besides, depreciation is a nightmare. I've got to get the best within budget, £5k-ish. Fiesta, Corsa, pref 2003+, whichever is the better drive. Shame I can't run to a mini. Other suggestions welcome!

Pippa

#16 28-03-06 21:23:45

evan

Hi pippa I've been using the corsa's for the last few years, they are pretty user friendly vehicles. If you can, try get a drive in the CDTI good on fuel and dead easy for manoeuvres. Best of luck in whatever you choose. Regards Ev

#17 28-03-06 21:35:36

pippa
Verified Member

Thanks Ev,

My trainer runs a diesel corsa.  Nice drive. 

Even a petrol corsa will be miles more economical than the mondeo. Averaging 29mpg in that. School run knackers it. Kid's will be back to Mummy-enforced cycling as soon as its warm enough, not too windy, not raining....!

Pippa

#18 28-03-06 21:39:18

evan

Ah well you are pretty well versed in the corsa's then. With regards to cycling without too much wind or rain, you definetely don't live in Wales. Kids get given umbrellas and wellies here as Christening presents. Ev

#19 28-03-06 21:45:23

pippa
Verified Member

Hertfordshire!  I've got a nice quiet country lane route to school avoiding a busier road, even if it is a bit further. It's flat too!  Great teaching the kids a little independence, I'll have them comprehending the Highway Code soon, even if they are just 6 & 8!

Pippa

#20 28-03-06 21:49:57

evan

That's a coincidence I was brought up in Stevenage, don't know if you know it at all. Ev

#21 28-03-06 21:53:51

pippa
Verified Member

Er, well..., did my Pt 1 there today!  It's still grey and concrete.  I'm just the other side of Baldock (which has a lovely new by-pass, opened last week.)

#22 18-06-12 18:21:19

Barry500
Website

Defo get a small car, look at the local schools it will give you an idea what to get and if all goes well all you have to do is put duels in it and away you go.

I bought a Yaris back in 2003 and used it for part 3 and practiced and practiced saving my self a lot of money by the trainer not being there and I did not have to fit into when THEY are available.

Evening, weekends etc I was out practicing and it defo pays off, there is no question. IF the worse happens or you change your mind you can always sell it and you may not even be out of pocket.

Get a car that is 4 years or so old, not a new one, and even if you only keep it for a couple years it will do a turn.

Good Luck all.

#23 18-06-12 19:47:37

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Is there a competition or prize for reviving old threads ATM?

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

Board footer