You are not logged in.

#1 17-03-06 10:52:15

luchell

Are my Hazard warning lights broken?? HELPPPPPPP

When i press my hazard warning lights button the flashers come on  as i walked all round the car to check. but theres no ticking noise!!! Its been like that since the shunt i think. They work as in bulb wise but is there any sort of requirement to have the ticking noise working. Ive got a test this afternoon so want to clarify.

Any thoughts on why it would do this? You can see the flashing arrows on the dash panel to whilst they are on. The normal indicators still make the normal ticking noise. Im puzzled neutral

17-03-06 10:52:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Are my Hazard warning lights broken?? HELPPPPPPP

#2 17-03-06 11:39:05

Gizmotime
Administrator

Could be a loose wire to the Hazards, can't be 100% sure but I think as long as they are working correctly then there is no problem.

#3 17-03-06 13:30:51

ExAdiNigel

I don't think there is any requirement that the hazards are accompanied by a sound.  It doesn't really matter anyway, just demonstrate the indicators by usung the indicators rather than the hazards and the examiner will be none the wiser anyway.  Using the indicator stalk to show the indicators are working is more complete than using the hazards anyway.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 17-03-06 13:56:18

Andi

The ticking noise is just the relay you can here in the car i think Hayley??

As long as your lights are working it should be fine wink

Andi

1.gif

#5 17-03-06 17:56:03

luchell

Thanks guys, for some odd reason it started to make the accompanying tick tock just before the test  roll

#6 17-03-06 18:16:17

Automan
Verified Member
Website

Hi luchell

The relay for the indicators and hazards make a noise because they are electromagnetic points that open and close clicking as they do so. So as the hazard lights flash the relay will make a clicking noise of some sort. Some flasher relays can be on the quiet side giving a slight clicking noise as it operates. Some makes of vehicles use a separate relay for the signals and hazards, others will use the same relay for both. French manufactured vehicles usually use just the one relay. So if you can hear the relay clicking when the direction indicators are on then theoretically you should hear it when the hazards are on.
Strange it should stop clicking and then start again or is it another one for the x-files.  :evil:
I promise you it is impossible for the relay to operate and not make a noise.  yikes

take care

Automan.

#7 17-03-06 18:22:34

Andi

I promise you it is impossible for the relay to operate and not make a noise. 

Mmm, I thought that myself! wink

Andi

1.gif

#8 17-03-06 18:38:50

luchell

Ok... both left and right indicators work with no problems including permanant ticking sound. Since last week when you turn the hazards on they are 100 percent silent. you could only tell by looking at the arrows flashing on the dash panel that you had the hazards still on. All this time the indicators were working with no problems. Hazards im well aware used to make the same ticking noise. It was after a lad got the indicator question on his test last week, since trying them after that no noise.

Checked hazards on a lesson yesterday walked round, no noise from relay but all bulbs functioning. No noise from the hazards AT ALL until today when we go for test. suddenly as if by  magic theres the usual noise to go with them?  Obviously i check all bulbs frequently infact daily. So that is why i know it is literally today they decide to work  roll

Any thoughts automan :? I seriously do mean there is NO noise quiet as a mouse. unless its soooooooo tiny i cannot hear it. But to me it seems silent when operating.

#9 17-03-06 18:40:52

luchell

P.s How much would you require for me to pay you so that you can be my personal mechanic!! I have to say ladies and gents we are lucky people to have Automan on board here.  so thankyou for the advice you gave me elsewhere which was fanstic and again here. wink

#10 17-03-06 20:05:29

DEVILS ADVOCATE
Verified Member
Website

Hi, when you open your doors do you get a warning beep?

Try having a signal on then open your door, you might find that the door open beep will switch off the signal noise.

ADI since '85
Instructed miles;33 times round the planet.
Survived 6 checks
Enjoy the job, when it works
http://www.L2D.co.uk
email tw@L2D.co.uk

#11 17-03-06 22:19:53

Allan
Verified Member
Website

Does it make any difference if the ignition is on? I have a Clio and when the ignition is on the hazards tick; when it's off they still work but they don't tick.

www.PassNow.net
Pass Now...and drive safely ever after.

#12 17-03-06 22:32:36

luchell

Allan thankyou thats VERY interesting!! I think you could have the answer. Im sure when they were making no noise the engine was off each time. I will try this tomorrow and let you know. If you've solved this Allan you're a star lol wink

Devils advocate, im not quite sure what you mean sorry :oops:

#13 17-03-06 22:34:17

Allan
Verified Member
Website

Not so much a star.......just worried at first when I couldn't hear the damm things ticking

www.PassNow.net

#14 17-03-06 22:37:29

LeanneADI
Verified Member

I thought the ticking noise was to help blind drivers know if they have put the hazards on or not!  big_smile big_smile

Leanne

#15 17-03-06 22:37:42

luchell

How funny, the same as me then. I thought they weren't working properly or were about to stop working or something! It would have helped if i had received the bl0ooming manual with the car. It might stay in there. Im looking at Ebay for one all thew time. I presume i could get another manual from renault though perhaps?

#16 17-03-06 22:39:44

LeanneADI
Verified Member

Try google for a manual.  i got an e-manual one for my partners vectra.  We had no manual for that when we bought it.

Leanne

#17 17-03-06 22:44:06

Allan
Verified Member
Website

My manual doesn't give any useful information about the hazards, only the slightly misleading .."are obliged to stop in a normally prohibited location"..., which I think encourages people to park on double yellows.

Yes, you should be able to get a new manual from the dealer, it will have a part number and can be ordered like any other bit. Check the price first!

www.PassNow.net

#18 17-03-06 22:46:04

luchell

Yes i bet it will be pricey hopefully Ebay will save my life again lol

I remember going to an Iam meeting when i was about 18, we had a policeman to talk for the evening. The one think i remember him saying clearly was how sad it was that if people wanted to do what ever they wanted, they seemed to think the hazards being put on makes them invisible  roll

#19 19-03-06 14:10:49

Automan
Verified Member
Website

Hi luchell I still don’t know why the relay is able to go quiet but it obviously can,  :oops: what I’ll do is explain the hazard flasher system and the relays used.

This is what you would expect from the four way flasher circuit…..4* 12V 21W BAU15s front and rear flasher bulbs and 2 * 12V 1.2W Capless side flasher bulbs. One 15 amp relay.
Ok there are two types of relays, electromagnetic and solid state, now solid state relays do not make a noise but to the best of my knowledge they only go up to 3 amps. This means they are not suitable for the hazards, I’ll show you why.

Watts = volts * amps so what we do is add up the wattage of all the bulbs, 4*21=84+(2*1.2=2.4)=86.4 watts of power.

Now we want to work out the amps, so remembering that watts = volts * amps so we just change the formula to amps = watts / volts. Watts = 86.4 and volts = 12 so 86.4 divided by 12 = 7.2 amps which is more than a solid state relay can cope with.

So this effectively means I have no idea why the relay can go 100% quiet but as soon as I find out you will be the first to know.   big_smile

Take care,

Automan.

#20 19-03-06 14:21:26

luchell

it wasnt what someone mentioned. Somewtimes when the engine is off it still makes the ticking noise!! It seems to be totally random. Yesterday it was ticking with the engine off and the ley out so that gets rid of that theory neutral

#21 19-03-06 14:54:15

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi Haley
I had a Renault once that went quiet.
What I found was that the flasher unit had come of the clip that held it against one of the structural members under the dash.
When it was in contact it was louder, when hanging loose it was quieter, it would appear that the structure of the car was acting as a sounding board.
An accoustics engineer confirmed that this is possible.
So it might be worth checking that the bump didn't shake it loose, it could be moving slightly so that sometimes it is in contact and at others it isn't.
I had one car that was normally very quiet,could only be heard when on tickover or with the engine not running, so I used super glue to fasten an empty shoe polish tin to the flasher unit and it made it loud enough to hear when driving, this flasher wasn't normally attached to the car just plugged into the harness and suspended under the dash, so that tends to confirm the sounding board idea.

Board footer