You are not logged in.

#1 18-03-06 12:58:15

JUEHANKIE

secondary braking?

just read on another page about someone failing on secondary braking - whats that?

julie

come on some one answer - 6 of you have looked.... is there more than me who dosnt know? big_smile

18-03-06 12:58:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: secondary braking?

#2 18-03-06 14:01:50

markA.d.I

in what respect do you mean secondry braking ?

as in the em stop ?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 18-03-06 15:37:16

Andi

Jue,

Do you have a link to the page that you have seen this on??
To give a greater understanding of the context in which it is meant?
Did it refer to the ADI part 2 Test or Advanced driving?

Andi

1.gif

#4 18-03-06 17:11:38

Andi

Jue,

Secondary braking is the action of braking more than once on the approach to a hazard. It is often a sign of someone who has misjudged their braking, and has to re-apply the brakes a second or third time to reach the correct speed.

The best way to use the brakes is to employ a single, smooth application, and to release them with equal smoothness and sensitivity.

It's not the end of the world if a driver has to brake more than once - after all, it is better to arrive at the hazard at the correct speed than too fast - but it is safer, more comfortable and involves less wear and tear on the vehicle to judge correctly when and how hard to brake in the first place. wink

Hope this helps

Andi

1.gif

#5 18-03-06 17:28:30

luchell

Well said Andi.

#6 18-03-06 19:20:30

ExAdiNigel

Summed it up beautifully!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 18-03-06 22:22:19

Andi

can i ask you Andi, what you failed on on your 1st attempt at part 2. i think with all this knowledge you shud get 6/6 on part3.

Jue,

I failed my first attempt at part two because i apparently did not drive to the required standard for the SE on that day. i didnt make the grade! if i had passed part 2 first time then i would have been sadly lacking in some of the knowledge i have now, because the fail at the end of December allowed to to further my training and my standard of driving to a far higher level so better prepare me for my part 3 training.

As for any aspirations above my station of  reaching a 6/6 on the part 3, I dont think so! To be realistic, i am learning to be an ADI, i am not one yet, if i am good enough on the day, and achieve a 4/4 i would be happy, if its any more then that would be a bonus. if i do not reach the grade, i will take more training and try harder.

I only know what i have been taught Julie, and i also know that i am just at the beginning of a very long road of learning, compared to many people on these boards i know very little.

Before you can accept the help of others, we must accept that there are others that know more than us.

Andi

1.gif

#8 19-03-06 01:35:44

evan

A nice candid post there Andi, I failed my part 2 first time, went in for it too soon, my own fault, but I learned a lot from the debrief at the end.
Interesting thing about failing something is that it gives you a hunger to want it more.
Humility is a wonderful medium for teaching lessons in life, if all passed then no one would stand out.
I say this because if one of my pupils fails their test, I can say honestly I know how you feel.
Success is a lovely feeling, but it is how we deal with disappointment that is the measure of our personality.
Those who are the most inspirational in the world are those who conquer some of the easiest tasks but have physical disabilities.
My personal slant on all of lifes achievements is simple do what you can do to the best of your ability. If you know you put 100% in then it never matters what anyone else thinks.
When all is said and done every person who goes for a test of any kind knows the commitment and effort they have put in, if at the end of the test you pass then you feel rewarded, but if you fail and you know you have done your best, there is never any shame. We are essentially our OWN disciplinarians, task masters, assessors, and judges. We can never cheat ourselves on our performance, we know what we have put in, so really we should never have any surprises, if we know ourselves well enough. Ev

#9 19-03-06 13:23:20

Automan
Verified Member
Website

Andi your post is truly wonderful  big_smile and I would just like to add that one of the reasons we should try to avoid secondary braking especially when cornering is that it unsettles the car transferring weight thus loading and unloading the suspension. The problem with this system is that some drivers will try to use it rigidly thus approaching or negotiating hazards to fast when misjudged.
This reminds me of a motorcycle traffic cop on his test where upon reaching a bend too fast applied the brakes then realised that once he had released the brakes he was still going too fast but new that if he reapplied them again that he would probably fail the test so he continued negotiating the bend too fast resulting in falling of his bike. So as Andi so rightly saying driving is not rigid and if secondary braking is needed then do it. It is wrong to think that we shouldn’t secondary brake but rather try to avoid it. If we manage to avoid secondary braking it shows good awareness and planning, which helps use with good car control. It’s a road-craft thing, information, position, speed, gear then accelerate. What this means is that by the time you have finished the speed (braking) part of the system then you are ready to make progress and there should be no need for any more braking if any particular manoeuvre as been planed well. Having said that the system has to be used flexibly and can be restarted at any point through the system.

Evan, impressive post what more can I say. big_smile big_smile

Take care,

Automan.

#10 19-03-06 15:31:14

luchell

Sorry Jue, what would you be interested to hear? About secondary braking or part two failures and faults? I'm confused sorry neutral

#11 19-03-06 16:53:04

Andi

Hi,

Could i suggest that you start a second thread then please, as this one is now going way off topic.

Thanks

Andi

1.gif

#12 23-03-06 12:47:34

Andi

For some members reading this thread it will be apparent that it doesnt make alot of sense now, that is because the user JUEHANKIE removed some of her questions/posts, before deleting her membership.

I havent lost the plot just yet...i promise. My posts were in reply to the above named user.

You can please some of the people some of the time...etc...

Andi

1.gif

#13 23-03-06 14:30:13

luchell

Ah thankyou Andi makes more sense now i was wondering where half the thread had gone  roll

Board footer