Got so many thoughts going through my head, but I'm looking forward to it

14-03-06 23:04:32

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Start on Pink April 3rd

#2 16-03-06 12:24:57

d9751260

hey don't worry starting on my pink tomorrow and defo looking forward to the whole learning experience. I am going to use it as a major boosting experience. the money i get from it will all be reinvested to further train. I will be training with a grade 6 trainer every week and my mate who is a grade 5 again every week. I am hoping to kill the test first time when i do come round to it.

#3 16-03-06 15:38:58

evan

Good luck to both of you guys. Have a great time and enjoy yourselves. Ev

#4 16-03-06 15:48:51

luchell

I second that. Make sure you evaluate how you feel you did after every lesson so that you find your own weaknesses. Then you can work on them. remember the money is not important its the hands on experience thats important when you are on a pink. Good luck smile

#5 16-03-06 19:51:24

markA.d.I

Good luck folks, great times ahead.

#6 18-03-06 17:42:18

butt2
Verified Member

I start on Pink on 27/3 and have a few pupils lined up ready to go!  I have agreed to do upto 25 hours over six days so that I have time for further training, practise and study.

Picked up my new car yesterday and have been out getting used to it and checking reference points etc.

I have prepared a self assessment form to help analyse my performance after each lesson as I want to ensure this remains first and foremost a training opportunity.

If either of you just starting on Pink want to have a look at the assessment form PM me with your email.  Happy to send it through.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 18-03-06 17:46:23

evan

Picked up my new car yesterday and have been out getting used to it and checking reference points etc.

I have prepared a self assessment form to help analyse my performance after each lesson as I want to ensure this remains first and foremost a training opportunity.

If either of you just starting on Pink want to have a look at the assessment form PM me with your email.  Happy to send it through.

What a sensible way to start on a trainee licence. I like your idea about the self assessment form and the fact that you are prepared to help others in the same situation. Just the qualitys the industry needs. Good luck, I think you will do well butt2. regards Ev

#8 18-03-06 21:28:09

d9751260

Hi guys ye i gave my first lesson yesterday - guess what it was to my own brother. he's had four tests and failed them all quite badley. any way teh lesson started and first thing first he didn't even know the cockpit drill. the only thing he knew was put the seat back until you can push the clutch pedal down. I was very surpriesed. any way, after that i got him to move off OH MY GOD- he did his obs and then put the hand brake down and then AGAIN checked over his RIGHT shoulder. i pulled him up straight away and asked him way. eventually we got the moving off down to a T. then when driving he was moving the steering wheel side to side i asked him WHY he said thats how he has always driven and his other instructors never said anything. AGAIN pulled him over and explained to him the dangers of doing this and how to operate hold the steering wheel properly. also he's hands were not at 10-2 and i again had to remind him.

any way there were a lot of faults in his driving which to be honest i ironed out at the end (BIG HEAD) and his driving was a lot better towards the end. overall the instructor who he had was only init for the money i believe cos to be fair my brothers driving at first was very very bad.

on the whole it went pretty o.k. apart from other instructors in my area looking at my car and staring at me.

i will let you buys know how i am getting on.

#9 18-03-06 22:11:53

luchell

Just to say well done on your first lesson. Remember that quarter to three is used also. I cant use ten to two, far to uncomfortable. Also do you mean he was checking his blindspot again as he was about to move off. If this is the case i encourage mine to do that. If you're not really quick you may have to check again.  Usually one will do but sometimes two is neccessary. Thought i would just mention this.

I also often take an extra quick peep back over the blindspot to check if its still safe. Depends where i am, degree of traffic. The town center for exaple i always check twice there as im pulling away i have another really quick peep. Thats after the handbrake is off. I will have done one before that as well.

As long as hes not staring in his blindspot whilst actually going forwards if it is just an extra quick blindspot check it will be ok. as long as it doesnt develop into some sort of hesitant technique if you see what i mean.

You're doing the same as i did. I was very critical of myself on a pink and i still am. If you go away from each lesson with a sense of achievement and work hard to become better at the things you find you are weaker at, you wont go far wrong.

#10 18-03-06 22:31:22

d9751260

hi luchell thanks for your advise mate. yes he was checking he's blind spot whilst the car was moving forwards. also when he was looking at the mirrors he was starring into them for longer than necessary so i pulled him over and explained to him that he cannot really do that as its dangerous.

i am giving my sister and my cous a session tomorrow on teh cockpit drill i might get them to move the car. it all really depends on teh time.

luchell i am really wanting to pass part 3 first time i can not tell you how much i am practicing. i am paying for extra tuition with a grade 6 also my mate who is a grade 5 is helping me out also another friend of mine who has been on a trainee for a whole is helping me.

the way i look at it the more i practice the better i will get. i had a mock test earlier this week got pst3- ended up getting a 4-4. so i am nearly there i think if i work hard and in my mocks got 5's i reckon on the day of the test i could end up with at least a 4.

take care

#11 18-03-06 22:36:37

luchell

With the amount of dedication you very obviously have you will make it. If you keep going the way you are you will be fine. Nice level head there. Yes if hes actually driving forward no he shouldnt check. BUT just as the car begins to move a quick check is ok as long as it is NOT prolonged. Obviously whats up front is the best place to be looking at this moment. As im steering out i may check though. It all depends on what context he is doing so. I think i will go on your judgement on this one as i can see you know what you are talking about lol

good luck, i think you will be just fine wink

#12 18-03-06 23:38:19

evan

Hi d9751260 (your user id is like a bar code). Agree with comments above, if there is a pause due to traffic situation, and the pupil checks again, this to me shows a good all around awareness. What you must remember when you are teaching, is the good driving practice you developed on your part 2 course. People do seem to disassociate the three tests.
If you look at the syllabus for learning to become a driving instructor it is basically a course split into 3 modules. Foundation: part 1 theory, all the rules and regulations
Part 2 Driving to a good all round standard and at a level need to teach at.
Part 3: Teaching the first 2 modules to a novice. If a pupil does anything in a car that you don't do ie safety checks, consideration for other road users, pedestrians etc, then it is probably wrong (assuming you are driving to part 2 standards, which should be the case anyway). The part 2 standard is the target you are aiming for, when you are teaching.
With regards to 10-2 9-3 hand position for steering. The onus is on constant control of the car whilst steering, where this becomes an issue for pupils is not so much the crossing of their hands, but when they keep their hands on the wheel as they turn and then their hands are crossed, (as if there hands are stuck to the wheel) they are then unable to move them, thus leaving them no control of the car.
I have taught a number of Asian pupils who have driven on an International Licence, who cross their hands and subsequently passed their test doing so. Rationale behind this is simple, if they have been driving for 10 years, and they are controlling the car safely and effectively, it would take longer to get them out of this habit and they would almost certainly revert back to it after. You seem to be on the right track with your lessons. Good that you look at your performance, always remember for every critical point you put down about your teaching, make sure you put down a positive. That is so important. When you are out there teaching full time you may have a day when all you have is difficult to learn pupils, that could knock your confidence in your ability, so get used to doing the negative positive assessment on yourself now. Good habits stay. Good luck Ev
That said I do actively encourage the pull push steering method, as it is more effective, for a good learning process.

#13 19-03-06 00:04:31

evan

Added the last line in the last post in case the pillars of hell dropped on me from all the pc driving instructors who would go onto inform me about the pluses of pull push steering. Ev

#14 19-03-06 06:30:06

butt2
Verified Member

Evan.  Good reminder about looking at positives from lessons.  Know your strengths and improve your weaker areas.

What you were saying about Part 1,2 & 3 being interlinked is so true but I am sure that so many PDIs including myself take them one bite at a time to make the task look less fearsome! It was not until I was into Part 3 training that I suddenly appreciated the importance of the first 2 parts to Part 3. 

With Part 1 I had done enough by learning the questions and practising HPT.  Because  the Theory Test is multiple choice you can get away with less than a comprehensive understanding of the theory.

For Part 2 my standard of driving improved immensly and I passed first time.  Unfortuately all my improved driving was being done subconsiously rather then me being able to break down to the nitty gritty of how I now did things.  Commentary driving assists with this.  This know how and the ability to talk about it stands you in great stead for Part 3.

I have had to play catch up since I realised the importance of Parts 1 & 2 to Part 3.  So to anybody starting out make sure you really understand the theory as oppossed to just knowing the question bank and also make sure that commentary driving is an intergral part of your Part 2 practise so you know how and why you drive to a high standard.  Its against this standard you will be judging others. 

#15 20-03-06 11:39:18

d9751260

hi butt2 and even. ye guys i gave the cockpit drill lesson tomy cousin and sis. boy oh boy........when i got home and i was analysing myself and my performance guess what i forgot to mention.....................the steering wheel............i am so annoyed with myself. any way i got them both to do everything thing par the steering wheel. which if i do that in my test (STRAIGHT FAIL). but i did explain the pull push method on the way to the location and how to hold the steering wheel but that was it.

any way had session this morning. god the person i was teaching was test standard but had not driven for 5 months. any way i re-explained the cockpit drill asked him what he was doing etc. we then went for a drive (junctions turing left-right) any way he did everything wrong you could think off and i really mean that. cutting in kurbing coasting etc. i had to pull him over l ot at the beginning but i am chuffed cos at the end of teh session he was spot on with everything and to make things better he said i had a good manner for explaining which went down pretty well.

any way guys time to go and have breakfast. i will keep you guys informed of my progress. honestly i want this so BAD.

take care

#16 21-03-06 10:14:44

Andi

hi all,

I wasnt about in a functioning way yesterday (bit of sad news in the family) but have read this thread with interest.

What a great attitutude you have, and also what a positive attitude to the pink. This is what the pink is all about, despite other threads that see alot of negatives in it, people are generally in support of a training aid used in such a positive manner.

Well done,and keep up the good work, its a breath of fresh ait to read someones postitive and correct use of the pink.

Andi

1.gif

Board footer