You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#51 14-03-06 13:48:10

SammyJ

Re: First Solo Drive on the Motorway! Arrrggghhh!

The only thing that hasn't happened is an accident and that's more by luck than judgement.

Why do you keep on saying that? I'm sorry if I'm being sensitive but I really do take offence at this. You are suggesting that I am a bad and unsafe driver. I realise that a newly qualified driver is more likely to have an accident than someone more experienced that is common sense and is backed up RTA statistics and so on but to say that I myself narrowly avoided an accident last night  because I am a new driver is unfair. 

14-03-06 13:48:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#52 14-03-06 13:53:50

Django

I reckon Graham is on a wind up now lol

Yeah he does make a valid point about attacking the unknown, unprepared. But.........

How is driving on an unlit motorway harder than driving on an unlit dual carriageway? I would suggest it is actually easier. But that is a different thread innit lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#53 14-03-06 13:54:05

DampDog
Verified Member

You are kidding?....right?

Assumption Just because Sammy printed off a route you assume, if not assumed inferred she'd sit with it on her lap. Condescending to say the least.

You've printed off the route and so everything will be fine. You'll be able to pop the interior light on every now and then to take a look at the route whilst you hold it on the steering wheel. Or maybe it will be on the front passenger seat.

Assumption/insult You then go on to infer, Sammy's ignorant or stupid enough to try and read said route while driving....

Either way, you will be able to refocus your eyes for a few seconds to take a look to read your next instruction. How far will you travel whilst you get your eyes back on the road? At 70mph. it will be enough to almost pass your exit.

Assumption/scare story

But I forget, you're extremely nervous so you might be travelling at 40mph. That will ensure you have enough cars immediately behind to provide protection for you and your car when the rear end shunt arrives 100 yard behind you.

Does it not state in a number of DSA approved reading materials criticism/advice should be applied constructively???

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#54 14-03-06 14:05:32

DrivenMad
Website

At least Sammie, has asked,  a lot of people go out without preperation.My own daughter bought a car then drove to edinburgh, never having driven there before, but she had 3 other people in the car, map reading. Not something I would do but it happens. At least Sammie is asking for advice, however close to the journey. I cant imagine she'll bother next time after this lot. Talk about puttin people off.. roll

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5972/iconexclaimhm6.gif[/img][/URL] www.sleepinggirls.co.uk - for girls AND boys!!

#55 14-03-06 14:07:00

Graham

Sammyj

Please take this as constructive critcism. The journey happed last night, AFTER I read your post.

You asked for help on this forum, with no time to absorb any advice, (assuming that somebody was able to give you any before you set out) after reading you post. It stood out as a cry for help.

Again, my point is that you undertook this journey and you didn't feel at all confident. You wouldn't have posted if you were.

So, rewind the video. What do you think you should have done?

I'll tell you. Prepared properly. If that meant postponing the journey, so be it. You had time to take some instruction after your test. Did you think that you would never drive on a motorway? Ever?

So you can see that your journey wasn't a wise one. Get the right experience and training and you will have endless hours of fun driving all over the place.

But you have to take things at the right pace. You'll look back on this in years to come and agree.

And to show there's no hard feeling, I'll take you on a motorway lesson for free! And if you haven't done your Pass Plus, I'll do that for cost!

And I'll still buy you a pint. But not when we're driving!

Ok?

#56 14-03-06 14:11:23

Graham

Django

No wind up, honest!

But if the dual carriageway/motorway thing is such a close call, why are learners prevented from driving on them? And why is it a mandatory part of Pass Plus training?

You're right, probably another thread. God, don't start me off again!

#57 14-03-06 14:14:09

SammyJ

When I passed my test on the very DAY I passed I asked my ADI for a Motorway lesson and she said, and I kid you not "You don't need one - you will be fine" so I didn't get my lesson. She didn't do Pass Plus so I didn't do that either also cost had something to do with that as I'm a stay-at-home-Mum with no income of my own. I WOULD like to do Pass Plus at some point. I WANT to be a safe driver for LIFE and I take driving very seriously. Some members of my family think I take it too seriously.   

#58 14-03-06 14:16:07

Graham

DampDog

Sammyj's post was all about her apprehension about driving on the motorway. I repeat, motorway. If the print out wasn't meant to be used for that part of the journey, why mention it?

The inference was that it would be used to help the motorway part easier.

If not, it's just as irrelevant as her destination or what she had for tea before she left.

#59 14-03-06 14:20:34

markA.d.I

Good on you Sammy,

There are loads of ADiS who offer the pass plus, if its a financial reason that you haven't been able to do it, you could always do a couple of hours motorway tuition. i am surprised your ADI didn't think it was a good idea, i don't think there is anyone on the road who wouldn't benefit from further training, thats why i and fellow Adis are constantly updating are skills by taking further training, such as ROSPA or IAM etc.

You sound like a very responsible person, i just wish a few of my ex-pupils where so !

Good luck with the driving and i wish you the best.

#60 14-03-06 14:22:55

Graham

Sammyj

I never criticise other ADI's and I'm not going to start now.

But if an ADI doesn't do Pass Plus then they won't want to give instruction on a motorway.

Any ADI who says a new driver doesn't need motorway instruction is plain crazy. That's probably why you were nervous last night.

That's not to say you can't get good instruction from someone who is not an ADI . Your husband for instance.

But my offer still stands. How about it?

#61 14-03-06 14:24:10

Graham

Whoops, just did what I said I never do........

#62 14-03-06 14:31:53

SammyJ

Where abouts are you though Graham? As you now know I'm in Southampton.

#63 14-03-06 14:40:01

Graham

Me too, that's why I offered!

#64 14-03-06 14:43:52

la.monikita
Verified Member

graham, when analyzing what some one had written, try to see ALL possibilities, to weigh out the answers, if it was ambiguous, and not absolutely clear, few questions to clarifying the initial statements made, rather then what you have thought was being said.
take into account all options  roll,

BTW dual carriageways are in my opinion far more dangerous then motorways

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#65 14-03-06 14:51:35

Graham

Maybe some thought should be given by people on how their point will sound before they post.

I'm very analytical and always try see both sides. I've worked on team building/problem solving/personal development projects for many years.

I have responded to what people have actually said, not what I thought was said.

But I now find your post offensive.

And please don't roll your eyes at me.......

#66 14-03-06 14:54:09

DrivenMad
Website

There's a dual carriageway near us that has loads of sliproads going onto it. The speed limit is 50mph, but drivers take no notice. Some stick to the 50, other at 60, then you get the ones going 70 and over. The reason its 50 is because of all the sliproads, fair enough but people treat it like a motorway,and its dangerous, I hate going on it.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5972/iconexclaimhm6.gif[/img][/URL] www.sleepinggirls.co.uk - for girls AND boys!!

#67 14-03-06 14:54:39

Graham

Statistically, your right about dual carriageways and I agree with you.

But that doesn't alter the facts that I have stated above.

#68 14-03-06 15:05:13

la.monikita
Verified Member

Maybe some thought should be given by people on how their point will sound before they post.

I'm very analytical and always try see both sides. I've worked on team building/problem solving/personal development projects for many years.

I have responded to what people have actually said, not what I thought was said.

But I now find your post offensive.

And please don't roll your eyes at me.......

oh dear  roll,

if you give, be prepared to receive.
you don't achieve anything by slaying people without finding out the whole story.

not much of a team building spirit if you are on a me, me, me trip.

going to hide now lol

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#69 14-03-06 15:10:58

Gizmotime
Administrator

Graham me owd mate big_smile I new you didn't mean anything by it, I just felt at the time things were starting to get a little heated wink

Ok I'll shut up now :oops: big_smile wink

#70 14-03-06 15:12:50

Graham

Full of positive posts aren't we LA..

As you've reduced things to that level LA, the post is now dead.

I'll be happy for a mod to lock it...........

#71 14-03-06 15:20:08

Gizmotime
Administrator

I have read and re-read this now and it's obvious to me that it's now a case of let's try and have a go at each other.
SammyJ you can post another question anytime you want but I am locking this now, I can see it just turning nasty.

Giz

Board footer