You are not logged in.

#1 07-03-06 22:50:39

eli
Verified Member

daytime lights

Hi all Just scanning the daily papers found a topic that might interest you. The powers that be at the EU have decided that we should use headlights in the daytime regardless of weather or light if it's passed and you don't have lights on expect a £60 fine  yikes

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger

07-03-06 22:50:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: daytime lights

#2 07-03-06 22:54:00

Karenadi

Expect if that's the case, then all cars will be like Volvo's: engine on lights on automatically.

Think it's a little pointless here though: fair enough in Sweden, where good daylight for any length of time, I believe  is a rarity.

I wonder if they have shares in a bulb company or something?

#3 07-03-06 22:59:38

evan

Or like BMW's lights on nobody's home!!!

#4 07-03-06 23:10:41

eli
Verified Member

going by the article car manufacturers are going to install led type running lights but what about the older cars  and what about all the excessive emissions having to run the engine to prevent flat batteries and wear on alternators not to mention engines and bulbs and higher fuel bills very eco-friendly

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger

#5 08-03-06 16:24:46

posh
Verified Member

that'l take some getting used to in daylight remembering to put your lights on all the time if  they ever pass it.

#6 08-03-06 23:01:46

Mmm

I think Italy went over to this system quite recently.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 09-03-06 01:14:13

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

This has been in the ''think bank'' for a while, busses now have to keep their lights on, daft idea i think, and a waste of energy.

I think it harder to tell how quickly a car is coming to wards you, when it has lights on, in the day time.

#8 09-03-06 02:35:21

luchell

I agree A.I

#9 09-03-06 09:15:17

Karenadi

And when they are parked, they leave them on, so you think its coming towards you and it's not.  Confused?

#10 09-03-06 09:18:40

evan

Another one to think about is the possibilities of having lights on and inadvertently knocking them onto main beam as the light starts to diminish you drive around for a while blinding everyone till you realise. Could also end up in misinterpretation, people thinking they are being flashed and all sorts, of scenarios spring to mind.

#11 09-03-06 09:21:25

Karenadi

Slight aside: couple of weeks back, I didn't realise that my dipped headlights were coming on every time I braked.  Thought everyone was picking on me pulling out of junctions and things. :-[

Didn't know until I was parallel parking, and saw the lights on the car in front.

#12 09-03-06 09:23:21

evan

So easy to do Karen, especially this time of year. Illustrates the problems that could arise though doesn't it.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 09-03-06 15:07:00

mattg

I didn't realise that my dipped headlights were coming on every time I braked.

yikes Intresting electical fault

#14 09-03-06 18:44:06

Karenadi

Apparently when I'd changed brake light bulb couple of days earlier, I'd put the wrong bulb in and caused it to short across: easily sorted once we knew it was happening. wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 13-03-06 22:18:20

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

Think it's a little pointless here though: fair enough in Sweden, where good daylight for any length of time, I believe  is a rarity.

For five months of the year or there abouts they have longer daylight times than we do. About 24 hrs per day in the far North, at Mid Summer.
For the same reason Scotland has longer daylight times in the summer than London.

#16 13-03-06 22:46:05

ExAdiNigel

My concern is what Motor bikes should now do to stand out from the crowd?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#17 14-03-06 00:56:01

Automan
Verified Member
Website

If the law did change any vehicles register before the new legislation would probably not need to comply with it. This is what I think would happen, the lights would come on automatically when the engine is started but they will not run at 100% of dipped headlamps but instead would run at 15% of dipped head lamps. This is called dim dip and I think you’ll find that most if not all Volvos use this system. Some other vehicles have the same sort of system but they only operate when the sidelights are on and the engine is switched on, when the engine is switched off and the sidelights are left on then the dim dip switches off, leaving the two 5 watt side lights on. If you think back it was Volvo that designed and first introduced the three point seatbelt to their vehicles and it was the same with side impact protection bars. Now the point is that in time the safety aspects that Volvo use become the benchmark for other manufactures, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it didn’t happen but it’s odds on that the lights will run at dim dip, which even that is not necessary in Britain in the summer time and as has already been mentioned it could be misleading and shield motor cyclists making them blend into any vehicle following the motorbike. I believe the powers that be have some sort of road accident reduction target in mind by year 2010 so that might have an influence in the thought processes. If they do introduce the lights on compulsory for every one, then I suspect a lot of revenue will be made unless car owners have their lighting system rewired. :x :evil:

take care,

Automan.

Board footer