You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 18-09-04 11:18:11

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Size of car ?

As a driving instructor I've always believed that Learners prefer a small car, eg. Corsa, Fiesta etc. However, I've recently spoken to some instructors who are adamant that a larger car, eg. Focus, Astra is more popular with their pupils.

So what do you guys really think?

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

18-09-04 11:18:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Size of car ?

#2 18-09-04 16:18:30

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Prefer to use a small car as I reckon pupils  find  it easier to drive and manoeuvre than a medium sized one.

Lately however I notice a lot more Instructors upsizing from 206 to 307, Punto to Stilo and Fiesta to Focus.

I Don't think I would upsize to an Octavia, not for teaching, anyway the Fabia is sort of half way between small and medium.

I will be interested in the views of Learners on this one.

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#3 21-09-04 19:28:53

Lynne
Verified Member

When I went from a 1.0 Corsa to a 1.6 Zetec Focus my pupils all loved it.  They could see more as the Focus seats are higher up (and hardly ever shave vehicles as they used to in the Focus) and also felt a bit more confident pulling away with a larger engine.

None of them wanted to go back to the Corsa.

They're happy.  So am I.  I love the Focus too. 

Lynne   smile

#4 21-09-04 21:16:53

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I used a Focus for quite a while, most say that it looks big but surprised how easy it is 2 drive.

The 1.0 Corsa are hopeless going up hill with 2 or 3 in the car, try a 1.7  smile

#5 22-09-04 13:34:45

Darren

I dont like the corsa. I learn in a corsa (1.2) and its awful. I dont feel brave enough on the slip road with it, as im trying with my foot down to do 70, its only doing 55 and its nerveracking.

Within saying that, i am buying a small car myself (Fabia)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 22-09-04 14:09:41

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

mclaren wrote:

I dont like the corsa. I learn in a corsa (1.2) and its awful. I dont feel brave enough on the slip road with it, as im trying with my foot down to do 70, its only doing 55 and its nerveracking.

Within saying that, i am buying a small car myself (Fabia)

I've never driven this model, but it does sound under-powered - personally I don't enjoy driving underpowered cars, nor do I think it's best to learn in something underpowered.

Many learners will end up driving somethng more powerful once they've passed, and if they're not used to making the decision about when to use the power, and when not to they're likely to get into difficulties.

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

Board footer