You are not logged in.

#1 18-09-04 05:38:47

G GEE

ABS

hi peeps, looking for some info on what happens with regards to ABS on the emergency stop PST. If the SE brakes and the ABS kicks in, should this be treated as a fault or not. Dont quote me on this but im sure i'v heard or read somewhere that it is ok if the ABS kicks in because the car is still under control. Therefore should not be treated as af fault. Not sure though. My tutor is going to query this with an SE, but if you knowledgable guys and gals had any advice, it would be appreciated.
Ta muchly
Gary 8)

18-09-04 05:38:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ABS

#2 18-09-04 17:57:26

arwen
Website

doesnt matter if it comes on or not.
However on the briefing you need to explain what abs is,and how it works and explain that abs is pro active safety. :twisted:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 19-09-04 12:54:52

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I had the emergency stop PST on my first attempt. I explained ABS and what to expect. I also had to explain emergency brake assist which is on my Nissan. The correct way to brake in this car is to push the brake as hard as you can until you stop - ABS and brake assist kicked in on both his attempts. The SE seemed happy about all this and never picked it up in the de-brief.

You need to explain that ABS does not stop skidding but is an automatic cadence brake system that allows you to steer during a skid. You also need to brief him on how to cadence brake in a non-ABS car.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#4 19-09-04 23:38:02

Unplugged

I thought the whole idea of ABS was to kick in neutral it allows you to break right up to the point where the wheels will lock without allowing them to lock therefore offering maximum breaking performance. I could be wrong but my car manual says exactly that to break as firmly as possible until the car has stopped.

Mind you im not sure if my car has ABS or not  :? I dont get a warning light on ignition and the last time I tried a deliberate emergancy stop in the carpark at work I couldent get the wheels to lock but the car certainly stopped but there was no pedel vibration. I guess I should try when its wet smile

#5 20-09-04 14:34:43

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I partially agree with you unplugged - maximum pressure on ABS brakes is what I understood to be the case for most drivers. However, ABS does not prevent skidding, it detects the wheel stopping (skid starting) and does a quick release and re-application of the brakes. The end result is ABS cars will skid but you can steer during the skid; or more acurately, you can steer from the time the brake is released due to ABS and the skid re-starting.

However, I would expect an advanced driver to release a bit of pressure on the brake at the onset of skidding in an ABS car. The theory being that if you can hold maximum braking without actually skidding (ABS kicking in) you would have even more control over steering.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#6 21-09-04 01:25:27

Unplugged

Hmmm I always thought the purpose of ABS was to allow you to apply maximum pressure to the breaks and the ABS stops the skidding action hmm thus giving maximum possible performance.

In an ABS car your not supposed to release the brake at all coming off the footbrake and back on again like you would on a manual is effectvly doing what the ABS is already doing.

Board footer