You are not logged in.

#1 08-03-04 16:07:52

Liesa

NVQ

As the subject came up earlier I thought I'd start this one off.

Could someone please explain exactly how the NVQ works, sylabus, timescale, exams involved etc.

I'll look forward to reading all about it.

08-03-04 16:07:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: NVQ

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 08-03-04 19:16:26

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Liesa,

To try and explain all about an NVQ is on a par with describing the taste of a banana to some one who has never had one.

I've just looked through my notes and this is the best I can come up with.

- I did mine through the Instructor College. I paid several hundred pounds for it and was given a folder and allocated an assessor.

An NVQ is not a training programme or a formal course.

There is no time limit - You will be competent on some aspects quickly and others may take you longer, although it's a good idea to set and agree your targets with your assessor.

Their NVQ is made up of a number of 15 UNITS of competance. Each UNIT then has a number of ELEMENTS of competence. I made plans with my assessor and he came down once every month or so to assess my achievments.

Each element has a number of PERFORMANCE CRITERIA. You need to then demonstrate that you can meet the requirements of this CRITERIA. Finally, each element has RANGE STATEMENTS. These relate to the PERF CRITERIA. You need to demonstrate that you can cover the RANGE and meet this PERF CRITERIA, by applying your acquired knowledge and understanding of your job.

(Some bits taken from the Instructor College Notes given pre course)

What I think it boils down to is proving to your assessor that your good over a wide range of criteria pertinant to being an ADI. To be honest I don't think I learned too much, but it certainly made me think about how I do things and why; Possibly even how to do them better. The course really is what you make of it.

Overall I would say it was a good course, but somewhat overpriced.

Regards,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 09-03-04 08:05:10

Liesa

Hi Bigred

I was just starting to get a bit overwelmed by your post, until I read your last paragragh. :? 

What I think it boils down to is proving to your assessor that your good over a wide range of criteria pertinant to being an ADI. To be honest I don't think I learned too much, but it certainly made me think about how I do things and why; Possibly even how to do them better. The course really is what you make of it.

Maybe that's what it's all about, and maybe you learnt more from it than you think!  roll

Just a thought!

Anyone else taken the NVQ?

I'd be interested in how you veiwed the course.

#4 09-03-04 08:24:50

Badger

Are these 15 elements published anywhere ?

Badger

#5 09-03-04 10:24:07

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Badger,

That was one awful post I made about the NVQ. But the whole course seemed to be written like that! I had to ask what it meant on several occasions.

Get through the jargon and it does make sense.

I'll look up the 15 UNIT titles for you later.

Regards,

#6 09-03-04 18:24:17

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi again Badger,

I've just looked up the UNIT titles for the NVQ course and decided I'm not going to bother typing them all out.

Without seeing the Elements, Performance Criteria and Range statements that go alongside the UNITS it would make no sense.

If you want me to send the 2 information packs to you I'd be more than happy. But first i've got to let  Jeff Williams see them.

Let me know.

Regards,

#7 09-03-04 19:08:01

Badger

Hi Big Red

Thanks for that

Please dont go to a heap  of bother - if you can just let me know where I can source this stuff I will do my own leg work

Badger

Board footer