You are not logged in.

#1 29-08-04 01:18:20

jonks

Toyota Yaris

Do you use a Toyota Yaris?

If so, tell us what you think about the car...

Pro's and cons of using the car for instruction.

What model do you use? (Eg. 1.4 Diesel)

How much does it cost to run?

29-08-04 01:18:20

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Toyota Yaris

#2 27-10-04 20:16:08

RD

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying a Yaris to teach in. Can anybody out there who has one let me know what they think?

#3 28-10-04 17:05:35

bajr

Have an 04 yaris diesel. Easy to drive with a clunky gear box you can tell what gear you're going into. I've driven a few and they're all the same, but the petrol version isn't as easy on the clutch apparently.
Visibility for manoevres is terrible out of the back.
I have recently taken a Kia Picanto 1.1LX on a long test drive and found the clutch easy as are the gears and visibility is great getting the manoevres first time for me and my tame learner!
The Yaris is nice but I'm ordering a Picanto- just waiting to see what CHEBS has to say as he's been using one for a few weeks now!

Bruce tongue

#4 28-05-05 21:24:26

Kev97

Hi all, Ive just took delivery of my Yaris and like it except for the gear box it's awful! Does anybody drive one or had one previously? if so please tell me wether it is just mine or not.  It's very difficult to select gears when the engine is cold and generally awkward and cluncky.  sad

#5 29-05-05 08:06:27

PM1

Nope didn't have that prob'. In fact I didn't have any prob's with the Yaris at all.

#6 29-05-05 10:29:16

Mmm

was it like that in the test drive? if not, then back to the dealers!! if you continue to use it like this, and its a fault with eg the clutch not disengaging properly then you'll wreck the 'box....

#7 29-05-05 22:22:28

mmc
Verified Member
Website

Got 1.3 Yaris 3 weeks ago
Love it and pups prefere it to corsa
gears stiff when got car(new) ............loosened up quite a bit already........reverse harder to select................not a bad thing
suprised not to see more of these used for teaching
Corsa very unreliable
2 clutch failures in 25k new rack and column crap hand brake and other niggles.........all warranty  work but  never again

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 01-09-05 19:55:20

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

HI, Im currently thinking about going on a pink, and changing my car. Had been thinking about the yaris or a corsa.
What is the standing regarding the speedo on the yaris. I understand it cant be seen from the passenger seat...Can this be modified, What do you yaris drivers do when teaching in one?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 01-09-05 21:03:16

Orcharddrive
Verified Member
Website

JonnyG wrote:

HI, Im currently thinking about going on a pink, and changing my car. Had been thinking about the yaris or a corsa.
What is the standing regarding the speedo on the yaris. I understand it cant be seen from the passenger seat...Can this be modified, What do you yaris drivers do when teaching in one?

An additional speedo is fitted, similar to a moped speedo, just near the instructor knee. Toyota have a driving school programme and will fit speedo and duals. I've driven five different Yaris, my father, an ADI of 30 years had a Yaris ( he's now retired ) so I bought...a Kia Picanto. Petrol engine but same spec as yaris, airbags, air-con, abs, etc. on-the-road with 3 years unlimited mileage warranty for £6250. Haggle with your dealer and see what you can get a Toymota for.

Visit www.instructor.org.uk for free help and training guides on becoming a driving instructor.

#10 01-09-05 21:04:38

markA.d.I

i had a brand new yaris, after about 1 month the gears became a nightmare, it was off the road for about a week to sort out the problem. it became really hard to change the gear, almost like when a learner starts the change with out the clutch fully down. setting that apart i liked the car and toyota sorted out the problems pretty fast!. Buy a mini though ( i am a little biased!)  ha ha ha .....

#11 02-09-05 05:29:43

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

We have run a Yaris D4D for 18 months (70000mls) and to date have had no problems with it.  Pupils find it easy to drive, instructor finds it economic, reliable and comfortable.

Comes with duals and speedo as part of the driving school package.

The instructor is likely to change back to a Fiesta though as the price of replacement is too high with no decent discounts.

Discounts may change at the end of the year however as they clear old stocks with the new model due out at the start of 2006.

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#12 04-09-05 15:13:42

stripeysox

Hi, i'm about to take my first attempt at part 3 next week. If i don't pass I'll be going on a pink.  I have a 1.0 Yaris and have had no problems at all.  I didn't buy it from new so toyota didn't include duals and second speedo so i've had to pay for these seperately.  The duals cost me £27 off ebay!(brand new veigels) £50 fitting. For the speedo I tried mirrors, i tried a spy camera attached to a monitor but i've ended up with a micro-fuzion - it's essentially a speed camera detector but you can turn the voice off and it shows your speed via GPS. It cost £99.99 and it just plugs into the cig lighter socket so i can move it from car to car. To have a speedo fitted by toyota was going to be £200 so i've saved myself a few quid.  I phoned DSA to ask if I would be ok to use it on my part 3 but nobody seemed to know so I guess I'll have to ask the SE when i get there.  smile

Amanda

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 04-09-05 20:19:52

Orcharddrive
Verified Member
Website

stripeysox wrote:

To have a speedo fitted by toyota was going to be £200 so i've saved myself a few quid.  I phoned DSA to ask if I would be ok to use it on my part 3 but nobody seemed to know so I guess I'll have to ask the SE when i get there.  smile

Amanda

There's no requirement for a second speedo, although you obviously would want one as an instructor.

Visit www.instructor.org.uk for free help and training guides on becoming a driving instructor.

#14 04-09-05 20:24:35

sparkle

I cant see the drivers speedo...

Dont use the second speedo supplied with my car

Useless anyway.

Examiners dont care.

#15 05-09-05 06:34:12

Ozzie

sparkle wrote:

Dont use the second speedo supplied with my car

Useless anyway.

Is that the whole car or just the speedo?  lol

Oz

#16 05-09-05 12:44:21

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Orcharddrive wrote:

There's no requirement for a second speedo, although you obviously would want one as an instructor.

I don't know the Yaris but it sounds like Australia's Toyota Echo, has a centrally mounted speed set deep in dash angled towards driver. Heard these are not allowed on tests in Queensland, tho they have been used here in Northern Territory (where even 1km/h over limit in school zone is an instant failure).
You can buy cars in UK with duals and extra speedos as part of package?  :shock: Lucky you that's not the case here.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#17 13-01-06 15:03:42

Treen
Verified Member

Has anyone looked at the new model Yaris yet? I had a test drive today and it seems to be OK for the job. The Which Magazine always rates the Yaris as a good reliable car. I wondered if there were any tales of caution I might like to hear before deciding.

Treen

#18 13-01-06 15:40:49

Born Saintly
Verified Member

I bought a yaris back in June, although not the new model, I have had no problems with it all, a fantastic car all round. Had its first service and cost about 85 quid, for a major garage i thought this was quite cheap.
Rich

#19 13-01-06 19:29:02

Carl

I've just got the brochure through on the new Yaris. Looks a nice little car. Definitely worth a look when it's time to change.

Carl

#20 13-01-06 19:41:33

Rob
Verified Member
Website

Beware being so new duals may not be available for it yet. They obviously will be but how long will design take.

#21 08-03-06 17:38:47

driverpete
Verified Member

At the beginning of February I ordered a new model Toyota Yaris (with duals of course). "No problem sir" says Mr Salesman "Delivery 1st week in March". Trusting ADI goes home and plans the next stage in his bid to dominate the Driving tuition market, i.e. try to find a few pupils.

March arrives but car doesn't; at least car arrives but Mr Salesman is unaware of its whereabouts 'cos he has a more pressing problem, that of dual controls. It appears that Toyota have not yet finalised their Driving School package for the new model although it will include Toyota "own brand" duals - but not for several weeks yet. They will not sanction the fitting of He-Man or Bestway duals by their dealers even though they are available.

ADI's dilemma. Do I say "Bye bye Toyota" and go and source a car elswhere (could be more weeks of delay and it smacks of cutting off my nose to spite my face) or do I take the car "as is", buy a set of duals from aforementioned manufacturers and see what I can get by way of recompense from the dealer?

Answers on a postcard please..............................

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#22 08-03-06 18:26:48

evan

You may have to watch that one Pete. If you take the car and have duals fitted (remembering that Toyota won't sanction it) could mean if something goes wrong with the car it could mess up the Warranty. I'd do a bit of research, lest you get your fingers burned. They have a habit of putting clauses in these warranty's in type sizes a flea would have trouble reading. Hope this helps Ev.

#23 18-03-06 23:16:48

johnp
Verified Member

Toyota have the best warranty possible. I bought one Yaris from Motorpoint imported from Belgium and fitted my own 2nd hand duals. I bought one Verso from London and fitted PJ cables as none were available.

Both brilliant cars and my local dealer have been just amazing. New carpet where I wore it because of duals. new seat covers because they gathered fluff. New light because the screw came loose. New engine air box because it rattled. Rebuild of sump because of a tiny oil leak.
Not heard of any problems from Toyota re Warranty.

Driving is books-
1. "safe and responsible INDEPENDENCE."
2. "DISABILITY into ABILITY" 
3. "PSYCHOLOGY than SYSTEMS.
www.drivingincludesu.co.uk

#24 18-03-06 23:59:48

evan

driverpete wrote:

They will not sanction the fitting of He-Man or Bestway duals by their dealers even though they are available.

/quote]
I'd still check. Ev

#25 19-03-06 09:37:36

driverpete
Verified Member

Thanks for your comments folks. I've since walked away from that deal (it felt distinctly uncomfortable) and gone for my 2nd choice which is a Nissan Micra. The Yaris is a better car but Nissan offered abetter deal.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

Board footer