You are not logged in.

#1 08-09-04 08:41:43

Briano

Choosing

Hey all!

Thought I'd share my thoughts and opinions with you after meeting up with LDC and BSM yesterday, it was very useful meeting with the induction guys.

I also found I definitely prefer LDC, I had my list of questions and he answered nearly all of them during the general briefing. Seemed very good, and was very friendly.
BSM did just about everything wrong for me though! They spent 3/4 hr with a general briefing and answered one of my questions during this. The meeting took place with myself and another guy and I also felt I was 'looked down upon' the minute I walked through the door.
If I did want to continue with BSM I would also have to attend a 1 to 1 interview later on, meaning I would have to book another day of work (which isn't easy) and it just made me feel I was wasting my time being there yesterday.

This of course is my own experience and may well go completely differently for anyone else. I just felt they were trading on their name and that was partly the reason why they charged more... because you would be working for the name BSM!

My only other query is if I should go and see Let'sDrive before joining LDC? Is there anyone who has any thoughts on this?

See ya round!   roll

Briano

08-09-04 08:41:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Choosing

#2 08-09-04 12:08:10

alys
Website

I had a three interviews with companies before I chose LDC and I didn't see Let's Drive so I am biased!  I decided that 3 would be a good number to eventually visit with.

I had an appointment to visit BSM but didn't go in the end as they were so impersonal and inflexible on the phone.

I had also contacted The Instructor College for information but heard too many bad things about them so decided not to waste my time.

The first company I met up with was LDC - the appointment was 1 to 1 and made near where I worked and I got a lot of info off the web before hand so I already had a good feeling about the company.

The second was Passmasters who arranged to see me on a Saturday morning (with two others but it was ok).

The third was with NITC/A+ and this was a one to one at a Services on my route home from work - again arranged to be flexible around me.

In the end my real choice was between LDC and NITC, what decided it was cost and Ordit registration.

I can understand your not wanting to waste any time off work so I would suggest that unless you think from the info you have already that it would suit you better than LDC then don't bother. (Did Imention that I am biased.....!)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Alys

Alys smile

#3 08-09-04 14:15:56

kev146g
Website

if this was car insurance would you stick with just 2 or 3 quotes or would you get more. don't forget that some small schools will train you or even do the first bit on your own and then get some help

kev
w w w.drivingschool.me.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 09-09-04 05:34:59

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Hi Briano,
I am an LDC instructor, and i also had the same sort of experience as you !
I applied for info from the following companies:
Passmasters,
lets drive
RED,
Instructor college,
BSM,
LDC,

The price of training for the first 4 put me off straight away, so i was left with BSM, ,and LDC. i went to BSM on the tuesday, and again there was 2 of us, and Ian the bloke who interviewed me also made me feel unwanted and like a piece of dogs**t on his shoe. that put me off altogether being an instructor + the franchise fee!  I nearly didnt go for my interview the next day with LDC, BUT i'mglad i did. Mike Ardell, wanted ME as an instructor, and gave me lots of time and answered all my questions, so when i came out i wanted to do it, and here i am now.......................

NO LOOKING BACK!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your decision

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 09-09-04 09:21:42

alys
Website

if this was car insurance would you stick with just 2 or 3 quotes or would you get more

If I had to make appointments to find out about car insurance quotes I would probably stick to 2 or 3.  Before I decided on my 2 or 3 I trawled the internet to get as much info as I could off there.

don't forget that some small schools will train you or even do the first bit on your own and then get some help

Very good point.

I also considered this but I know how I work - if I am left to my own devices too much I let things drift so, although it would probably have been even cheaper to opt for a more DIY approach I decided against it.

Alys

Alys smile

#6 09-09-04 09:51:23

Briano

Funnily enough I am exactly the same, left to my own devices I am sometimes my own enemy for getting things done!  tongue

I am also possibly going to be moving to a different part of the country at some point in the next year or so, which means a larger company would be much better as I could transfer.
I met a trainer who works by himself a while ago and had an interview, he sounded very good and was very well qualified, I just couldn't be sure we would get on too well personality wise. This could lead to problems if I didn't have anyone I could turn too.

Thanks for all your responses, it's a great help to be able to discuss things like this!  big_smile

I also found kev146g's reply somewhat amusing about if I was looking for car insurance since I just use a broker! Now wouldn't that be a bit easier, to have a broker find you the best course to go on!!  tongue

Briano

#7 09-09-04 21:14:20

Nimrod

Hi everybody,

I can't inderstand why TIC seem to get so much "flak" in this forum. My initial meeting was on a one-to-one basis; all the options and prices were carefully explained; they have always bent over backwards to arrange training around my schedules and committments and their training is second to none.

I hear all those comments about TIC not being ORDIT registered and cannot understand what all the fuss is about. Most of the trainers I came into contact with were VERY highly qualified (more so than most ORDIT assessors) and appeared to be both motivated and commited to getting their students through the ADI tests.

I have personally seen Part 2 test results with 0 (zero) failures and first time Part 3 test results of 5/6. Also, the TIC pass rate is higher than most (if not all) of the  other training institutions mentioned in this thread.

As far as costs are concerned; I believe you get what you pay for. Its rather like driving lessons in a way. You can charge £10 - £24 per lesson but it is the pupils who will decide if they have received value for money.

I passed my Part 1 and Part 2 at the first attempt and fully intend to do the same with my Part 3 (on Mon 13th).

I may be biased but I can only recommend TIC to anyone who wants thorough, professional and high-quality training.

Nim

#8 10-09-04 06:05:33

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Good Luck for Monday, Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

#9 10-09-04 08:35:58

Briano

Hi Nimrod

The very best of luck for Monday!

I can only imagine not everyone has been as lucky as you regarding TIC.
Just a quick question though,  you say -

"I have personally seen Part 2 test results with 0 (zero) failures"

- I don't quite understand what you mean, over what time period? How many pupils? Are you saying no one has ever failed?

You also say -

"the TIC pass rate is higher than most (if not all) of the other training institutions mentioned in this thread"

- Says who? Where did you get this information from? Again over what time period? Does this include all the pupils who dropped out before stage 3?

I hope you don't mind me asking these questions but I get a bit fed up of statistics being thrown around by all the institutions (inc LDC!), they are all read differently to suit themselves. LDC told me they have a +90% pass rate, however he couldn't be sure where this figure came from and if it included all the pupils who actually registered to start with them. BSM don't even know their pass rate but told me it was better than others!! A local trainer I spoke to said it was difficult keeping track so he wasn't sure.
Being ORDIT registered is one way in my opinion of knowing that a company/individual has at least been checked and that they perform above a certain level.

Briano  :shock:

#10 10-09-04 09:15:47

Natalie

Nimrod

I am really glad you managed to get TIC to give you training when and where you need it.  Kent must have a better training staff than at Leeds.   They haven't been able to fit me in round my job I have to take days off when they need me to.  They couldn't fit me in for all my part 2 sessions before my test date and I failed my Part 2 first attempt on Wednesday so the fact that they have no failures on first attempt at part 2 test cannot be right can it.

I think at the end of the day TIC need to sort out their trainers and get them all to teach the same thing.  I have never had the same trainer twice and have been told different things by each one and it isn't easy trying to get things right with each one as they say you are wrong.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit but I have had to pay out another £300 with another driving school for extra training and they are the only reason I am where I am.

Nats

#11 10-09-04 16:16:19

adi
Verified Member
Website

I trained with TIC and passed all three parts first time. I put this down to the trainer i was allocated to and not the establishment itself. I think you are right in saying that training methods from each trainer are not consistent across the board, but that is just like the ADI industry full stop. We all pass the same exams and tests yet after a few years ADI's develop their own training methods. Some can be very good and others poor. At the end of the day if you don't feel happy inside then find someone who you do feel happy to learn from. Don't be afraid to ask for a different trainer, after all you are paying for it. I am sure every ADI training establishment have some excellent teachers/instructors but i am sure they ALL have there rubbish too. You need to identify the good ones within your particular college and request to be allocated to them if possible, even if you have to wait for those that are with them to move on a stage.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 10-09-04 23:22:22

Nimrod

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply.

I have personally seen Part 2 test results with 0 (zero) failures"

- I don't quite understand what you mean, over what time period? How many pupils? Are you saying no one has ever failed?

Maybe I didn't express myself well enough. What I meant was that I had seen individual Part 2 test results where the candidate had not received ANY minor faults and (first time) Part 3 test results where the candidate had received 5/6.

"the TIC pass rate is higher than most (if not all) of the other training institutions mentioned in this thread"

- Says who? Where did you get this information from? Again over what time period? Does this include all the pupils who dropped out before stage 3?

Statistically, in the UK, only 10% (or less) of all people embarking on a career as an ADI go on to complete the training or to take their Part 3 test. I have not taken this into account in my assertions. Let's just say that of all the students that choose TIC as their training organisation, over 70% successfully complete the course and qualify as ADI's.

They couldn't fit me in for all my part 2 sessions before my test date and I failed my Part 2 first attempt

Just a quick question here, Natalie. maybe it would have been better to get all of your Part 2 training BEFORE you arranged your test date??  TIC will normally advise you if they think you are not ready for any of the tests and provide all the necessary EXTRA training free of charge to ensure the best chance of success. There was probably NO need to pay another school the extra money.

It is not unusual to get different trainers for the Part 2 training. For me, this was a plus. They weren't telling me different things - just the same things in different ways!  I found it tough going as I had been driving for 35 years (driving in India, Pakistan, Jordan, Iraq, Kuwait, Vietnam, Philippines, Hong Kong, USA etc etc) and had picked up a lot of bad habits. I had to bite the bullet and accept that I wasn't as good as (maybe) I thought I was.

The job of the trainers is to point out your bad habits and talk you through any corrective actions that are necessary to prepare you for the test. BUT.................... the Part 2 test is a test of YOUR driving ability.  If I had failed, it would have been wrong (in my opinion) to blame any of my training ADI's.

To put this in context, many ADI's I have spoken to say that some pupils will tell you that they passed their driving test due to their "superior" driving ability. Some pupils that fail will tell you that it was because they had lousy instruction.

Anyway, I hope you find what you are looking for at the new "school" and that you are successful with your Part 2 next time.  Good luck.

Nim

#13 13-09-04 08:12:53

Natalie

Your right adi I have found one trainer that I can get on with and learn from.  Its a long wait to train with him but I am happy to wait.

Nats

Board footer