You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 24-02-06 16:32:29

Russ
Verified Member
Website

check test result

Didnt do so good got 'E'.

Didn't react quick enough to need to change original subject.

Agggh could kick myself as I pick this up on lessons.

having less than 12 hrs forpupil change didn'thelp matter.

Russ

24-02-06 16:32:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: check test result

#2 24-02-06 16:36:29

VandADI
Administrator

Sorry to hear that Russ. You were pretty much dumped on in the last minute so to speak and had very little preparation time.
When will your next check test be?

#3 24-02-06 16:44:28

Russ
Verified Member
Website

Toldvery polity bout 6 months, just brusdh up on change of lesson plan to top priority.
Russ

#4 24-02-06 16:57:02

sparkle

Dont worry Russ!

I know someone got an 'E' at first go..now grade 5 big_smile (no its not me lol)

Like Vanda said, you were dumped :cry:..and did the BEST you could do.

Chin up-and you'll be more aware of what the SE wants in 6 months wink

#5 24-02-06 17:04:39

markA.d.I

No worries ....... you know what its all about now and will fly it next time,

better luck next time.

#6 24-02-06 17:18:44

Russ
Verified Member
Website

just feel narked with myself it was so obvious, identified speed on approach at 2nd junction tried to talk it through went back to plan.

idiot. the main comment from se was keep practicing in 6 months you should be alright.

might be a bit longer hopefully.

russ

#7 24-02-06 17:39:42

VandADI
Administrator

Was it your daughter you took? How did she handle it all, was she nervous?

#8 24-02-06 17:44:13

bigears

Chin Up Russ,It did'nt help much with the pupil bailing out at the last minute,a bit of a rush to get get another organised and prepare another subject.LOOK you'll be better prepared next time.It could happen to anyone in that situation. wink

Two things are Infinite:The Universe and Human Stupidity;and I'm not sure about the Universe.

#9 24-02-06 18:19:10

Russ
Verified Member
Website

Yup daugher was nervous. think we were both on par with each other.
Now i know this is in hindsight, I had prepared , planned, briefed original pup, had built up the lat 2 lessons for today.

Still as mentioned I now know whatto expect, and will copeok next time. (Hopefully).

Thanks all of you for your support and your re-assuring comments.

Russ

#10 24-02-06 19:16:43

TDC
Verified Member

but surely if you talk it thru and gain acceptance from pupil and they know what and why they did wrong and its not something they normally do, then why the hell would you bail out of your intended topic to spend time on something that you both know isnt a real problem,  sod the SE theyre @!%& , your giving the lesson to your pupil not that trumped up civil servant

i tell you ,you may have noticed , they pee me off ;-)

Im so good its unbelievable

#11 24-02-06 20:31:13

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Don't fret Russ, it was an educational after all.

You will learn from it and move on to 5 or 6 (I did - 5)

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#12 24-02-06 21:32:20

blayd
Verified Member
Website

Hi Russ,
Sorry to hear you did`nt do to well,first one`s are always hardest.(I have my first check test next Tues.,,)
One thing that does concern me after reading your thread is how much initial preperation you have done.

Have I got the whole idea wrong.But I was under the impression that it was supposed to be a check on your normall lesson techniques,The extent of my planning has been that I have told the pupil that there will be someone in the car with us that day so she will get a two hour lesson for the price of a one hr lesson.And I have decided what I`m gonna teach and that`s about it.

Someone needs to put me straight on this DO I need to put more into it.

#13 24-02-06 22:27:24

petersull

Hi Blayd

You are quite right in your way of thinking. It is a test of your instructional ability and you should not need any further preparation than you already do for a lesson. The SE will know if you have prompted the pupil on what to do, prior to this lesson. He/she wants to see your pupil learn something with you teaching it. Core comps are the key to getting graded.

I had my 1st check test this week after 15 months of teaching and my wife also had hers (just a coincidence) after 3 months. We both got graded and used the SE as role play - hence no prompting of the pup prior to the lesson. We just taught the lesson as we usually do and prepared the normal things prior - route etc.

good luck next week and use it as it is meant to be - a valuable learning facility.

Pete

#14 24-02-06 22:43:29

luchell

All i did for mine is took my mum (My pupil) Our for a two hour lesson as shes been driving for 20 odd years but is frightened to drive nowadays out. I put mspsl in her driving and prompted etc as necessary and briefed her that shes coming on my checktest she IS NOT being assessed i am.

She worried about making mistakes and i told her not to worry it was my job to help her get it right and thats the whole point of it. she would not look a prat and it would be fine. The subject was forward planning and anticipation. I had no route actually planned as i don't with pupils i just know the areas SO well as in back of my hand i just went for it as i normally would. Did town driving which was a bit over baring as there was no where to pull in so did it all on the move.

Ill remember that for next time!! I got a four he said he was impressed as he doesn't know anyone who can talk as quickly and clearly as i do! yikes I would have been chasing my tail big time if it wasn't for that, it was fault a minute being thrown out, subject changed twice through other problems but we were still laughing at the end of it. I missed a 5 on my remedial action purely as it had to be kept to the bare minimum to rectify the fault so i could tackle the next fault and it went on and on.

So i suppose no i didn't really do much planning at all just what i would normally do for any lesson. Oh and i forgot to mention the Se's weight in the back even though id said to mum i need to remember that it was really fresh in my mind then went walkies as we started  roll I asked the Se about missing a grade and he said him in the back has NO bearing on the core comps at all so wont cause you to lose a grade UNLESS your pupil suffers from the extra weight as in needs extra gas etc and the instructor doesn't mention as part of the analysis of the problem there is extra weight in the back blah blah....

I suppose because my mum can drive (If you know what i mean)it had no bearing on her as she controls a car really well albeit those naughty little habits she has wink

#15 24-02-06 23:08:03

Russ
Verified Member
Website

Thinking back over this morning, whilst my daughter was  willing too help and freely admited she had problems with door mirrors timing and use, was what i put into place. as i mentioned earlier within the first couple of minutes i noticed speed on approach was an issue, and I know if it was a 'normal' lesson i would have changed tack imediatly.

Somhow the though process happened but the end result didn't. Boy am I kicking myself now, I just got caught up in the moment, I think i now know I was trying to please the se, not carrying out the lesson address the issue apparent.

Learnt from my mistakenot going down that routeon the 2nd chance.

At least I got 6 months (+?)to ensure it don't happen again.
Russ

#16 24-02-06 23:15:57

luchell

Its got to be great experience for your next one though. You'll breeze it im sure wink To me it sounds as if you did blooming well with what you had to work with. Talk about a last minute nightmare. I think instead of beating yourself up you need to look at it in a different light.

You did well with what you had, you made the most of it. You've learnt it and will take that with you and be better prepared and even more knowledgable for the future.  lol.

#17 25-02-06 09:15:57

TDC
Verified Member

russ why would you change tack ?? if its not a normal problem and you and the pupil know that, why would you go over it , sure if it happens a few time smore then sort it  but if its something thats not a problem just a one off , sort it on the move , agree , and move on . DSA have got it wrong as they dont know our pupils like we do.

Im so good its unbelievable

#18 25-02-06 16:01:13

DAVE-ADI

Trouble is even when DSA get it wrong it is the ADI who cops it.
A checktest is not a normal lesson.   

This time Russ was lucky and it was an educational.  On another occasion it would have been a 3.

Russ,  before your next CT,  organise TWO pupils to help you on checcktest, then you have a back up in case one of them ducks out.

#19 25-02-06 16:04:26

VandADI
Administrator

My check test was around exam time and all my pupils had exams on that particular day.  I really wanted to get the CT done and dusted so I 'borrowed' a pupil from another ADI which worked out really well in the end.

#20 30-03-06 13:33:27

skiffle
Verified Member
Website

Had my check test yesterday - would agree with Dave-ADI... have two prepared!!

On sunday afternoon I got a message to say the pupil couldn't make the lesson as she was ill.   ???

Did get another one - but next time, there will be no doubt! I'll have two "available"!!!!

It was my second check test - first was before christmas and didn't go well... (nerves... mind was kidnapped by little blue pixies...)

This time however, got a 4, but was only a gnats whisker off a 5....  roll over instructing a TAD too much on an "anticipation, meeting and adequate clearance" kinda theme. 

Next time watch out... it WILL be a 6!!!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#21 31-03-06 13:05:17

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...DSA have got it wrong as they don't know our pupils like we do...

That's a valid point TDC.
It's what they call the "snapshot" syndrome here in Australia (and probably in the UK too coz that's where we get a lot of our ideas from).  E.g. it's our bureaucrat's answer to complaints that the driving test unfairly picks up on certain deficiencies while sometimes ignoring more important ones - they say what can they do, they only have a 40-or-so minute "snapshot" of the candidate's driving skills to work with. And they are right.

Perhaps the answer is, be aware of this and while doing the check test, treat every problem with the student's driving as if it is an ongoing one.

Of course I'm saying this from a position of ignorance!
In my instructing experience, I've been audited many times but each situation has been when I've been assessing (e.g. for a Provisional Licence under the competency-based logbook system), not while teaching. The auditor isn't interested in my teaching skills (and most can't themselves teach!), but they are interested in my assessing skills and in my knowledge of the required standards to gain a Provisional Licence.

Your situation in the UK is obviously different.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#22 31-03-06 13:34:13

Badger

I completely forgot about the SE on my last check test because I had chosen a particularly difficult pupil.

He had to remind me that it was time to get back to the TC !

Thought I had blown it because of timing but he wasnt bothered about it and said he enjoyed the test.  I didnt!

Badger

Board footer