You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#76 20-02-06 23:50:49

Andi

Re: sat nav?

big_smile big_smile big_smile

I like it! and very very true......
I couldnt have said that better myself Snowdog!  wink

Andi

1.gif

20-02-06 23:50:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#77 21-02-06 08:58:42

Target
Verified Member
Website

I often say to pupils.

Can you find your way home from here and the reply is i do not know where i live. The girlfriends the same. She cannot find her way around so easily.

Good thing with the Sav Nav is if a roads closed or theres diversions then the sat nav brings you back on track. It does not take the quickess route but usually the shortest. You can set favourites. For instance.. I know where i live but do i know how to find my house if i was in Bexley or Vauxhall. Very unlikley. Using a map i'd need to keep glancing down at the picture to check road names. Sure i could write the route down but then it always looks different when your actually on the road.

I've struggled with multidrop driving trying to find delivery entrances when you have the address of the front office.....Ever tried making a delivery at Canary Wharf?...Companys could save £10000'ssss if they gave drivers these. Any driver could run any route just by picking the address.

Theres a place for a map because you sometimes need the bigger picture but once this things set it takes all the pressure away from you.

As one of my pupils said... I've just spent £2000 on learning to drive £200 on a sat nav is nothing. Same with a car i guess. £5000-£100000 and £200 for something that could save you lots of time and stress.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#78 21-02-06 09:06:17

eric d
Verified Member

Ive got a sat nav in my own private car and its brilliant, if i had one for getting to pupils id save so much time as im not really good with roads until ive driven the route about a hundred times. Probably in thr wrong job,  big_smile

A friend of mine has a pda with sat nav and he says it works fine.

Also some mobile phones can take an upgrade to include sat nav so worth checking this out too, ( you can get the soft ware cheap if u know the right people ( copied software ) but obviously im not condoning such behaviour  wink

#79 21-02-06 09:08:47

sparkle

Sat nav lovers:

I have all the latest gadgets usually before most people... people that know me know this lol i had a pda early on..etc etc

Sat nav just does not float my boat..nothing to do with being stuck in the mud or whatever you wanna call it..its personal preference.

I cant use blue tooth.. bought one very early on..£80 it cost me..3 years ago..used it once.. i cannot talk and drive at the same time..i used the sat nav that came with my pda at the time.. hated having something talking along while i was driving.. very annoying...for ME distracting.

Just my correct opinion you understand lol

#80 21-02-06 09:13:54

Django

So what you are saying is that we should burn the books, rip down the signposts coz people can't use them. We should all get these over priced gadgets so that we can all find our way round this tiny island.  roll  roll  roll

I really don't know how I've managed to get around all these years without a little box 'telling me where to go'. I spose its a change from the missus. :evil:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#81 21-02-06 09:15:22

sparkle

I really don't know how I've managed to get around all these years with a little box 'telling me where to go'.

me neither! but then django we were couriers in previous lives and obviously have a head for directions and planning.. gifted aint we lol

#82 21-02-06 10:15:25

Target
Verified Member
Website

So how much does a map cost?

Ok £5.99 for a cheap little town map. £20 for a decent london A-Z then walk out the shop and its out of date.......I've probably got over £100 worth of maps at home. Covered the whole of the country when i was driving. Never going to remember all those places. Been once i can normally remember, but thats from a particular place.

Come find my house. With an old A-Z say more than 4 years your not find the place. Sure use multi-map but thats on the internet and computer cost £1500.

Not saying scrap the maps just that these really do work and having tried it think they are great and sure would save alot of time wasted pulling over and trying to read the next page or when your diverted can easily find another place.

Girlf wanted to find a restaurant the other evening. Keyed it in and hey presto its logged. I knew where Mill Hill was but no clue where the restaurant would be in that particular road.....So much time saved.

Does the map show the restaurant?

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#83 21-02-06 12:44:37

SnowDog

AAI, people took the p**s if:

- you got the first digital camera (early 90s)
- you got a small mobile phone (early 90s)
- you got a home computer (1980)
- you updated your home computer (80s)
- you bought your first CD (80s)
- you bought a portable music player (80s)
- you got a PC (1990)
- you updated your PC (etc.)
- you got 'online' (80s) using dial-up bulletin boards
- you got the Internet (90s)
- you got ISDN to get fast connection speeds then
- you got broadband (even now, they whine 'but why do you need THAT sort of speed?') wink

And anything else you can think of wink There really is one hell of a pattern and, of course, good ol' Ned Ludd started it way back.

So it is as amusing/boring as ever when people try to 'prove' that sat navs are a waste of time and paper-printed maps are best wink

I always think: 'Well, you can have both, you know'.

Roll on usable electronic book readers - I've already got a decent set of eBooks ready to put on it wink Sometimes, you have to actually wait for the technology to develop rather than just wait in the bushes to take pot shots at it wink

SnowDog

#84 21-02-06 15:38:32

sparkle

Snowdog> how bout people like me lol that cant use sat nav as i might crash and die.. will you let me off for that? or bluetooth.. i cant use them either.

#85 21-02-06 15:59:29

Andi

Ill let you off Sparks..... lol lol lol lol

People should stick to what they are happy with..lol...I like my sat nav, but still carry and use a map occasionally. big_smile big_smile

Andi

1.gif

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#86 21-02-06 16:21:44

Django

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa

This thread is great. Sat Navs to find a restaurant??? Your having a laugh. All you need to do is drive down the road and open your eyes FGS.  roll  roll  roll How much time did it save?? Did you know buildings, including restaurants have numbers? And they number consecutively so if your restaurant was number 74 you would find it between 72 and 76. wink Sorry but you don't need a in-car computer for that.

But if people really can't grasp maps then I suppose they must resort to drastic expensive measures.

Ok £5.99 for a cheap little town map. £20 for a decent london A-Z then walk out the shop and its out of date....... .

Yeah your right coz they dig up roads and relay them in different directs every minute. As for your house not being on a four year old map. Got the hint  wink lol lol lol lol :evil:  lol lol lol

#87 21-02-06 18:14:32

SnowDog

Snowdog> how bout people like me lol that cant use sat nav as i might crash and die..

You don't have to use sat nav, of course.

Thing is: you don't have to not use it either (aka the Luddite approach) wink

SnowDog

#88 21-02-06 18:20:37

sparkle

sparkle wrote:

Snowdog> how bout people like me lol that cant use sat nav as i might crash and die..

You don't have to use sat nav, of course.

Thing is: you don't have to not use it either (aka the Luddite approach) wink

can you translate that to my language please.. neutral

#89 21-02-06 19:59:00

SnowDog

can you translate that to my language please.. neutral

Use that new fangled thing in front of you and Google it wink

http://www.cottontimes.co.uk/luddo.htm or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

SnowDog

#90 21-02-06 20:08:09

la.monikita
Verified Member

thank you Snowdog,
very educational big_smile,

come on folks embrace technology, i don't have sat nav but hubby has (always gets lost and can't remember where he had been lol),

i know my local area, and can read a map, but can't read a map whilst driving, and if you don't have a co pilot who can read a map yikes, sat nav is a god send lol

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#91 21-02-06 20:28:53

Django

Its ok Sparks the Luddites smashed up the new machinery that took their old jobs. Looms and such if memory serves me correct.

I have nothing against advances in tech if they are useful. The only use these things have is to make people lazy. So they need to use their Sat Nav to find the shop they get their papers from. lol lol lol lol lol

#92 21-02-06 21:05:32

SnowDog

Hey, that was the exact same argument they used for mobile phones, computers, game systems, the Internet wink

You sure you're not related to old Neddy? You're from the Midlands, aren't you? smile

There's no way GPS could be described as not useful. It might not be useful to some people, but it is useful overall. Sat Nav is just a natural progression from the original GPS systems in much the same way modern Windows computers are a progressions from the original geeky ones people had back in the early days. Sat Nav is a GUI frontend to GPS, that's all wink

SnowDog

#93 10-03-06 18:23:56

Iwade Mike
Verified Member

I have a Tom Tom Go 300, which I got udated via e-bay with European maps, Speed Cameras, Police Stations, Hospitals,Low Bridges, Macdonalds, KFCs etc for a meagre £27.50.

It is invaluable, I do not have to muck around with maps and if you enter a postcode, it takes you to the doorstep. Iwould not be without it.
Mike

Part (1) 20/01/06  Maidstone pass 98/66
Part (2) 09/03/06  Maidstone pass 5 minors
Part (3) 30/01/07  Hither Green Pass 4/5

Board footer