You are not logged in.

#26 07-02-06 18:08:24

DampDog
Verified Member

Re: Stupid questions!

My reasoning behind the going it alone for the part1 is that even with the big guys some advertise it as "distance learning" ie: here's the books you need, go and read em.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys who use this forum would be more than willing to suggest the best reading materials, and help with stuff you're not up to..If I'm wrong I'm sure the guys will point me in the right direction. Just out of intrest which way did you choose?

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

07-02-06 18:08:24

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 07-02-06 20:32:52

trcferguson

Hi DampDog,
I have just started studying for my part one today and met with my trainer for the very first time this afternoon also.

I'm going the same route as you are thinking about.  I'm doing pt1 myself, although my trainer was good enough to give me some study materials and suggest books such as:

'Highway Code', 'Know your road signs', 'Driving.. the essential skills', 'Driving Instructors Handbook', 'The official Driving Test'.

I'm then doing pt2 and pt3 with a local pay-as-you-go instructor.  I feel happier doing it this way than with a large company, but everyone is different, I just feel happier as my training will be very personal.

When you are ready the first thing you will have to do is contact the DSA to register.  You can call them on 0870 121 4202 and ask for an ADI starter pack (or ADI14 as its known) which will cost you £5 and contains the registration form.  Also, if you want the Question Bank, which is every possible question you could be asked on your theory test, make sure you ask for it as it is an extra £6, but I think well worth it.

Hope this helps a bit.
Tracy  big_smile

#28 07-02-06 21:44:17

Karenadi

Hi Dampdog.

Pt 1 is marked out of 100.  It is split into 4 sections: 25 questions in each.  You must score a minimum of 20 out of 25 in each section, but your overall score has to be 85% if you can work that lot out.  Each section has a heading, and this is where I'm a bit fuzzy: Vehicle Maintenance/how it works is one, Teaching theory is another, Road signs etc, and then the highway code bit (I think is how it is).  Much of the info you need can be found in the Driving Instructors Handbook by Margaret Stacey, the Driving Manual DSA, Highway Code and the Know your Signs book.  If you want to practice questions and the haz. perception test, then Focus do an interactive cd which has the learner section, an ADI section a highway code, and a hazard perception test.  You can also get a disc which is just hazard perception by Focus.  It isn't a true representation of the test, but it's the best I've seen so far - and I've seen loads, and it's only £7.99.  Also worth a look is the DSA interactive DVD Roadsense.

You can also ask the DSA to send you the ADI question bank, with the answers: might cost about £2 if I remember rightly.   Personally, I'd try this little lot, before I went for paying RCMs £99.  You might just have all you need.  And at the end of the day, you'll need the above books anyway: I keep mine updated and in my car (Except the driving instructors Manual - which I still read occasionally).

Infact, if you ask enough questions, you'll get all the training you need on here free of charge. big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile wink

#29 07-02-06 22:00:09

Karenadi

Just been looking in the PDI bit.  Apparently the question bank is now £11.  Have a look in there too: seems to be some interesting info coming out that might assist you too.

#30 08-02-06 08:59:38

MiniClassic
Verified Member

I got the question bank from the DSA for £2 only last week, so not quite sure what the £9/£11 options are.

When you phone up to get the AD14 - make sure you get the full pack including the questions together; they do it seperately for those who are doing their training through an organisation that keeps their own stocks of the questions.

Also, when you get the AD14 pack through, check that the two forms you need for your referees are included as they seem to be missing them out at the moment - if they're missing just give them another call and they'll pop them in the post for you.

Ambition Driving College

#31 08-02-06 13:34:00

Karenadi

Well, I must be honest, I thought it was only £2, but I read the £11 thing on here: infact I think it was a post on the ADI section, posted by another who has just started training.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#32 08-02-06 14:39:22

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

I have been following this post and have some advice that might help Dampdog and others.

When looking for a training organisation contact local schools who do not train instructors. They will give you an impartial view based on their experiences with local trainers and instructors that have come from them because they are not interested in selling you training.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#33 08-02-06 14:55:37

DampDog
Verified Member

Just out of interest anyone had any dealings with these chappies, good or bad.
http://www.passmasters.net/

I'm going to one of their informal introduction sessions. I plan to do the AA and BSM too, but this is the first to come through. It'll will be a fact finding exercise really just to see what they have to offer. Just wondered if any of you guys had come across them as they appear to be national. Likely I'll also pop into my local test centre tomorrow while I'm still off.

I had read about the AD14 and question bank but with reading all this stuff I'd forgotten the obvious.. smile doh!!

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#34 08-02-06 15:09:23

1stdrive

The only dealing I've had with passmasters was meeting one of thier trainees at a test centre (he is now fully qualified), his opinion was that he had received excellent training and couldn't speak highly enough of them. Only an opinion though lol

#35 08-02-06 15:46:36

DampDog
Verified Member

Ah well here we go!
Starter pack and question bank are in the post £11, all in. I may have found a local pay as you go chappie, literally a mile down the road, I'm starting to get all enthused, he he.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#36 08-02-06 16:12:29

1stdrive

Thats good news. Bit of advice, get your part 2/3 trainer sorted before you take part 1. You only have 2 years to do it, it may sound like a long time, but if you fail, say, your 1st part 2, with test waiting times and extra training it soon runs out. Your probably doing this anyway but I cut mine real fine.  big_smile

#37 08-02-06 16:32:43

DampDog
Verified Member

I notice a number of the training website claim that there is a national shortage of instructors, would you say that is fair comment, or advertising bluster? I'd imagine it changes region to region. There's definitely more cars on the road today than ever, I guess that means more people need to learn to drive. Just out of interest if you're disqualified from driving for any length of time do you have to re-take your test? See I'm already becoming "Market aware" and looking for customers...lol. smile smile

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#38 08-02-06 16:35:29

Django

I notice a number of the training website claim that there is a national shortage of instructors, would you say that is fair comment, or advertising bluster?

Now then if you were going to sell courses to train teachers would you advertise that there was a shortage of them in our schools? wink

#39 08-02-06 16:36:51

DampDog
Verified Member

lol....nuff said. (That was a stupid question!!!!!)

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#40 08-02-06 19:10:38

Karenadi

If you are disqualified from driving, as an instructor, then as you need to of held a full licence for a minimum of 4 years, you have to wait 4 years after getting your licence back: then you have to requalify.   Best not to lose it in the first place?

As a standard member of the public: if disqualified a retake of the test (usually extended) is ordered by the courts.  No order: no retest.  Learner drivers totalling 6 points on their licence within the first 2 years of passing have their licence revoked (not a ban): they then have to reapply for their provisional, retake their theory and their practical.  However, the points remain on their licence, and if they get another 6, then the standard ban as per the rest stands.

If an ADI gets 6 points, then they are off the register.  Requalify job after they are removed: so no more speeding about!

#41 08-02-06 19:18:25

DampDog
Verified Member

No worries there my boy racer days are long gone.... not that I ever was. I see some of these young lads and lasses today and the frighten me to death, no idea of the damage and hurt it will cause if it all goes wrong.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#42 09-02-06 19:11:21

DampDog
Verified Member

Well peeps, Ive had a great day.

I've had an informal interview with "PassMasters" just seeing what they had to offer and managed to find a great local guy who does pay as you go.

Then the fun began, having exchanged half a dozen e-mails with "Andi" on the various merits of the "big guys" V "PAYG" various coincidence's just kept popping up it conversation

PassMasters  "yeah I used them,"
Newcastle-under-lyme office  "yeah I know that!"
I live close to Newcastle  "yeah, so do I!"
Where you live? "Talke"
So do I pretty much!!!!.....
How mad is that? you meet by chance on a forum, which is not the worlds best known....spend half the day nattering by e-mail, only to discover you live less than a mile apart. Ah well, not all perfect until about an hour ago I thought Mrs Andi was a Mr...lol smile smile smile
It's been a fun day...

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#43 09-02-06 19:57:43

1stdrive

Great news big_smile Maybe it's fate that you met (if you believe in that stuff). Good Luck for when you get started.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#44 12-02-06 10:18:44

Andi

Well peeps, Ive had a great day.

I've had an informal interview with "PassMasters" just seeing what they had to offer and managed to find a great local guy who does pay as you go.

Then the fun began, having exchanged half a dozen e-mails with "Andi" on the various merits of the "big guys" V "PAYG" various coincidence's just kept popping up it conversation

PassMasters  "yeah I used them,"
Newcastle-under-lyme office  "yeah I know that!"
I live close to Newcastle  "yeah, so do I!"
Where you live? "Talke"
So do I pretty much!!!!.....
How mad is that? you meet by chance on a forum, which is not the worlds best known....spend half the day nattering by e-mail, only to discover you live less than a mile apart. Ah well, not all perfect until about an hour ago I thought Mrs Andi was a Mr...lol smile smile smile
It's been a fun day...

Ah...but you are older and wiser by one day already, !!
You are now able to make an informed choice about who to train with, and know the pitfalls and merits of the different training establishments. All because a place like Learners exists.

The world is indeed a very small place really, isnt it? I dare say that we both have a view of wedgewoods monument and mow cop....how wierd is that?? lol

Do let us know Who you choose, (although i think i know) and how you go on...

Andi

1.gif

#45 12-02-06 11:06:25

DampDog
Verified Member

lol......"Older and wiser"......you're having a laugh. I can just about remember where this forum is.... smile smile

Decided to go with local guy, to be honest it was a "no-contest" the amount of support even with just chatting has been terrific.

He's really friendly, easy to talk to, and got a great information pack to get me going. He's done it himself, but you can tell a lot of thought went into it, recommended reading, hints on what to read first, getting your starter pack from the DSA, all really good stuff.  Most of the reading materials he'd got to hand, DVDs, CDs etc. I told him I already had some and he said great just let me know what you want and when you're ready and we'll go from there. No pressure, no hard sell, just good friendly advice and lots of it.

So once I've got all the stuff sorted at work (redundancy 2-4 wks time) off I go.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#46 20-02-06 22:26:12

Hopton
Verified Member

Totally agree with Lunchell the best advice ive heard in a long time.
Doing a pink and giving up work is hard as when i started only 28% passed the part 3 i was one of the 28% and i did give up work but i was moving soon any way and it would have made not difference.

Good luck

Driving me Crazy, and thats just the wife !

#47 21-02-06 21:43:36

Andi

Yes Hopton...Lunchell certainly does give good advice doesnt she?  big_smile big_smile lol lol

Andi....

1.gif

#48 21-02-06 21:44:56

sparkle

..........no its Lurchell lol lol

#49 21-02-06 21:47:36

Andi

LOL...she's got more names than us anyway... lol lol lol (that we know of anyway?)

Andi

1.gif

#50 21-02-06 21:50:34

sparkle

lol lol lol i wont tell you what they call you behind closed doors lol lol lol lol (im kidding big_smile)

Board footer