You are not logged in.

#26 09-02-06 22:54:44

Graham

Re: sat nav?

The other plus with TomTom is the screen is normally bigger than a PDA. It makes sense when you have to locate the thing on the passenger window, as my Citroen has one of those heat reflecting windscreens that also bounces satelite signals back from whence they came!

My wife has the PDA type which she loves. As you say, they each have their own appeal, I just happen to like the stand alone versions.

Can't get it into my handbag though........... wink

09-02-06 22:54:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#27 09-02-06 22:57:37

Andi

The other plus with TomTom is the screen is normally bigger than a PDA. It makes sense when you have to locate the thing on the passenger window, as my Citroen has one of those heat reflecting windscreens that also bounces satelite signals back from whence they came!

My wife has the PDA type which she loves. As you say, they each have their own appeal, I just happen to like the stand alone versions.

Can't get it into my handbag though........... wink

I have a simple answer to that Graham...get a bigger handbag mate! lol....Ive got a Citroen and mine works just fine?? I have a C3 whats yours???? (i know how that sounds...dont go there!)

Andi

1.gif

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#28 09-02-06 23:02:10

Andi

Andi wrote:

But Pete,
Why would i want to use, the sun, moon and stars.....Charts????? when my electronic friend nearly always knows where i am??.....

Er cost for starters.

Also people will be so reliant on these things that they will be helpless when they go wrong and yes they will go wrong. They are like TVs, PCs and the like after a period of time they will go wrong. How will you you find your way to your families houses or take the kids to school in your 4x4s. Oh and you'll never be able to find Tescos.  :evil:

See, now then Pete, my little electronic friend, tells me when i am about to pass a mcfood outlet...where the nearest ATM is (now thats important) where the post office and Tesco is......tells me where the lovely little yellow speed box thingys are (not that it bothers me, i dont break the speed limit).....it has a host of other features that i love, an ofcoarse it talks to me, which just occasionally is the most sensible conversation i can get!!

We should embrace technology......Ology is the furure!! what did you do before you had a microwave or a dvd???

Andi

1.gif

#29 09-02-06 23:05:27

Graham

A C5...

And no jokes please, I've heard 'em all !!

The factory fitted option was £1500, so Tom was a real bargain.

I know what you mean about talking back to it.

My grandson was in the car recently and Tom was turned off.

We'd nearly got home when a little voice from the back said ' At the end of the road turn left, then you have reached your destination'.

Kept me chuckling for weeks...... big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

#30 10-02-06 00:43:55

la.monikita
Verified Member

hey, we could get them to navigate pups on their way whilst we did something else lol,

i don't think tom toms can beat my local knowledge, but further out, driving alone, no time to read maps, it can be useful.
i can navigate and read maps with compass (have one in the car-no sat nav), sat nav will be faster in unknown areas am sure, but still should know how to read a map (my hubby was never too good at it (map reading!) so he got a tom tom.
i like to see a birds eye view to see where am going lol

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#31 10-02-06 02:12:37

pdi

i would say it was an acceptable expense as in finding pupils houses to be able to get there on time

#32 10-02-06 19:23:50

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Anything from the TomTom range is spot on. Comes with a bracket to stick on the screen, but always remove the bracket when you leave the car 'cos the local oicks will know you've put the device in the glove box or under the seat!

Also wipe off the suction marks on the glass from the holder because theives look for these and will quite happily try their luck and see if you have stuffed it under the seat.

For me, still don't understand the sat nav thing much prefer planning a journey with maps and I know every part of my local area otherwise. But years ago I was travelling all over on business and can see the attraction in this situation.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#33 10-02-06 20:10:59

Van Man
Verified Member

you wont know how useful they are tongue. unless you have used one. When in unfamiliar areas as i often am, i have set the destination and I can just get on with the driving and dont have to worry about reading a map big_smile and I dont have to buy a local a-z to find that cul de sac to make that call. Also find it useful for checking  speedo's. :evil:

DON'T GET ME STARTED.
I'm not doing it wrong,Its just another way of doing it right!
IAM observer

#34 10-02-06 20:19:54

Django

i would say it was an acceptable expense as in finding pupils houses to be able to get there on time

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Now that is funny.

#35 10-02-06 21:18:24

luchell

big_smile I can't see me using one to find my pupils. I prefer good old A-Z to find mine smile Money well spent maybe for longer journeys but not for local stuff.

#36 10-02-06 21:23:04

Andi

In all honesty  yikes ( and i have a sat nav so i am able to clarify this) it would possibly take longer to get a satalite signal, then put the address and/or postcode in for a local address, than just look it up in the a to z, especially as most people do seem to be familiar with their own area / pupil bank! wink

Ta Da....

Andi

1.gif

#37 10-02-06 21:24:12

Andi

big_smile I can't see me using one to find my pupils. I prefer good old A-Z to find mine smile Money well spent maybe for longer journeys but not for local stuff.

Ill strike that one off your Christmas list then?? Mmmmm big_smile big_smile big_smile

Andi

1.gif

#38 10-02-06 21:57:23

Django

Well yes, this is why I found pdi's comment funny. An ADI should know the area he/she works but I reckon it could be worth a shout to see if the taxman could help with the expenses. TBH I would prefer to give my money to private enterprise than the taxman. wink

#39 10-02-06 22:18:35

la.monikita
Verified Member

Well yes, this is why I found pdi's comment funny. An ADI should know the area he/she works but I reckon it could be worth a shout to see if the taxman could help with the expenses. TBH I would prefer to give my money to private enterprise than the taxman. wink

i know my local area but i think on the next pass plus, i'll get lost deliberately in a country lane and let my hubby's tom tom find its way to................. whatever, just part of the fun,

when i did my sons PP, it was his car and we did not take the map out of mine :evil:, lets see what happens :evil:, the beautiful parts of Kent we had found big_smile.....stunning, can't plan it but....i like the map to map out my head..... honest, won't need to look again  lol lol

Abraham Maslow

#40 11-02-06 00:15:44

Andi

Just a little comment regarding speed calcultion on Satalite Navigation equiptment...it is always 3MPH different/slower than your speedometer reading...its the satalite signal delay, the same with speed detctor things..(you know the ones) but they are calibrated as they are specifically for the purpose of measuring speed. :evil: :evil:

Andi

1.gif

#41 12-02-06 08:01:10

bigyin43
Verified Member

Tell me that when im lost and screamong down the phone to someone...." i dont know where i am....no im sat in a farmers layby thing...landmarks??..oh...hang on there is a sheep ill just ask!"

Behave! They are bloomin ace, whilst i was stayin in Hull last wekend, it was the only way i could find my way back to the travel lodge!! honestly....it was....i have no sense of direction...im useless im afraid.

Im ok on motorways and A class mostly...its them darling little B roads that get me every time.....road signs in Staffordshire are rubbish anyway! lol....

Im keeping mine....i love it!! keeps me safe when out alone!!

should have said you were coming over this way , i would have directed you !!!!!

#42 12-02-06 23:12:22

Jellybean
Verified Member

I can use maps no problem.  But I always thought it was illegal to read it while driving? neutral  You try getting a 13yr old to map read for you while you are trying to find the Canoe Race.  Tricky, nearly always ends up in a row.  Also for some strange reason Canoe Clubs are always in some out of the way place that most people have never heard of.  We got ourselves a Tom Tom one for Christmas, and I am so looking forward to just seeing a roundabout once instead of going round it about 4 times while he works out which turnoff we need.  Getting lost is not an option with 2 canoes on the roof and a caravan behind.  We managed to do that going to Belgium last September.  I was towing a caravan round Dunkirk on the wrong side of the road.  How I wish I had had the Sat Nav then.  And this was my first time driving abroad in a right hand drive car, never mind we had only got the caravan in May so I was newish to towing anyway.  Its an absolutely wonderful invention.

Jellybean

#43 12-02-06 23:15:24

Django

I can use maps no problem.  But I always thought it was illegal to read it while driving? neutral

Can you punch in the information when your driving? No you do it before you start. Just like I look in my atlas before I start out.

Next one please.

#44 12-02-06 23:18:16

la.monikita
Verified Member

jellybean, you should look at treens post in international licences.
btw sat nav will not prevent you from driving on the wrong side of the road lol

Abraham Maslow

#45 12-02-06 23:24:23

Jellybean
Verified Member

Hi La Mon, yes I have been reading Treen's post on International Licence's, so I know just what they mean.  I have driven abroad before but only in a rental car so it is easier as the drivers seat is in the correct position.  When I said wrong side I meant driving on the right as I am sure you knew.  I found it very nerveracking to be driving my own car with its imperfect view sat in the wrong position and yet again the 13yr old had to navigate. But he did really well big_smile big_smile

Jellybean

#46 12-02-06 23:27:29

Jellybean
Verified Member

Django, The Sat Nav is programmed before you leave the house.  :? Great I have looked at the map, maybe you have a photographic memory but most of us don't and I cannot remember that I have to turn left at the B??? and right again on the A??? 200miles and 2 hours down the road.  What happens is I have to stop and check up where to next.  So for me the Sat Nav will be great and I won't need to touch it.

Jellybean

#47 12-02-06 23:36:55

la.monikita
Verified Member

best to try is overtaking on a single carriageway yikes, need to make sure you have good co pilot who drives too, and a turbo charge if he's opinions differ to yours re time and speed on oncoming cars yikes yikes yikes yikes, oh what fun. just don't try it with a caravan yikes big_smile

Abraham Maslow

#48 13-02-06 13:51:30

Django

What happens is I have to stop and check up where to next.

I'm sure you don't need the Sat Nav for the whole journey so you only need to remember a few turns. I really don't know how people coped before Sat Nav. Must have been a lot of lost souls out there.

#49 13-02-06 14:31:54

Andi

Ive got one....a sat nav...andim still bloomin lost!   roll

I obviously wasnt a homeing pigeon in my last life was i?

Im sure there must be a homeing device available for people like me? What ya think??
wait till i get lost with a pup...lol

Andi

1.gif

#50 13-02-06 14:34:27

Django

Hi Andi,
I reckon you should stay at home looking after the kids and let your man do the driving. :evil: :evil:

Right where's my tin helmet gone coz I reckon I'm gonna need it.  lol lol lol

Board footer