You are not logged in.

#1 07-02-06 15:29:49

eric d
Verified Member

Help with peugeot 1.4 hdi...

Any help would be appreciated... I am teaching in Peugeot 1.4 hdi, and the car seems to have a very different feel to any other car i have driven in the past. When travelling at low speeds and particularly when coming to a stop the car shakes an awful lot. i know the obvious answer is put the clutch down earlier when stopping but is this an acceptable form of coasting. Also whereas in other cars taking a left/right turn I have always used 2nd gear (unless extremely slow, then 1st ) in my peugeot taking a turn in 2nd seems to make the car build up speed. Whereas I seem to have mastered it personally some pupils who i have taken over are finding it hard to handle. Funnily enough, my beginner pupils are fine with it as they haven't any experience with other cars. Have tried teaching with the "what do I do method" but pupils still finding it hard.

Is this a characteristic with the peugeot diesel or am i driving a dodgy car ?

Help please !!!!

Eric   :? :? :?

07-02-06 15:29:49

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Help with peugeot 1.4 hdi...

#2 07-02-06 15:51:37

markA.d.I

i have a mini 1 d which has the same characteristics you describe, as a basic rule when stopping etc i normally advise putting the clutch down when in 1st 1 cars length from intended stop pos, 2nd 2 car lengths etc .... makes things smoother.

as for left and right turns in second, i stand to be corrected though, i think what happens in my car is that a pupil doing a turn in 2nd braking too hard the car will drive itself and the revs will pick up..... i was always led to believe that this is to do with modern car engine computers detecting that there isn't enough fuel going to the engine so it compensates itself and thats why it feels like its pulling itself.

the remedy is to see what speed you can slow the car down to without this over run happening, then if they need to brake harder then a lower gear will be needed, hope that helps, you will just have to practice in each of the gears and see what the min speed is ???

i was told a theory which i didn't like by an Adi in my local Tc, which was to  press the clutch down slightly as you are doing the turn ...... which i thought was bull, that in my opinion is teaching pupils to coast !!!!!

#3 07-02-06 15:58:39

New Girl
Verified Member

Hi Eric

Was thinking of posting something similar myself as I find the same problem happens with my Fiesta 1.4TDi....Praps its because of the diesel element?

You feel you have to speed up (Not ideal approaching a junction!!) or change down to 1st, which again should not be the correct gear for that sort of speed.

I too would be interested to hear any comments on this!

eric...sorry for stealing your thread!!

#4 07-02-06 16:34:51

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
This overspeeding seems to be a problem of some diesels and indeed my previous Multi-point injection petrol.
I believe it is the engine management sytem trying to prevent what it discerns as an incipient stall.

On some corners it may well be that using 1st gear would in such a car be more suitable than 2nd.

I did raise this with a previous SEADI and he agreed with me that there were also some corners where feathering the clutch (in the same manner as that which you use in 1st) in 2nd is a reasonable method of controlling the car on a lowish speed corner.

It all depends on the corner.

Mark: 
This is not what is defined as coasting.
Coasting is either having the clutch totally disengaged or even worse knocking the gear stick into neutral.

#5 07-02-06 16:38:54

luchell

Same happens with my diesel clio. The advice above is sound. The pupils will get used to it the main thing is to make sure they don't lose control and let the car pull them forwards for instance on an emerge and end up approaching far too fast due to the gear and the engine picking up speed to prevent stalling.

They will get used to it lol

#6 07-02-06 16:43:42

markA.d.I

if thats not coasting what is ????

only 2 times the clutch should be disengaged,  just before stopping, and changing gears ??

what you are saying is "riding the clutch" then ?, if its not then you would be fully disengaging the clutch??

#7 07-02-06 16:48:29

luchell

Mark we've had it confirmed here that if you have a diesel that behaves in this way if you need to feather the clutch to stop the car from pulling you forwards for instance around a bend when 1st would be too low a gear there will be no mark for it. I haven't had to do this at all but we checked with the Se, instructors in diesels were having quite a problem and wanted to know if it was acceptable.

#8 07-02-06 17:04:02

markA.d.I

Thats the thing i hate about this job .......

so many !!!!!!!! grey areas, i guess it would make sense for me to check with my de's ..... although i havent had to resort to that method so far.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#9 07-02-06 19:46:57

Russ
Verified Member
Website

its called 'dipping the Clutch' no problem at all on test last 206 1.4hdi had to get all pups to use this only on certain junctions when too fast for 1st too slow for 2nd, only depress clutch down to above biting point.

My 1.4 hdi C3 does the same the hard thing is is making sure they don't do it at every oppetunity.

I think you will find all these cars use the same basic PSA group diesel engine, patent is leased out too ford and Mazda 206, 307, C2,C3, Fiesta TDCI  mazda 2 Diesel.

The 1.6 16v hdi or tdcinew version also in 206, 307, 407, C3, C5, focus, Mazda 3.

Russ

As mentioned coasting is clutch fully down when it should'nt.

#10 07-02-06 19:49:11

BUAPAITY
Verified Member

If approaching a junction either press clutch slightly earlier OR approach slightly faster and brake more at end -this probably won't work with the inexperienced.
For turns - brake to just below the speed you want as you depress the clutch so that you are gently accelerating into the turn.This will help to avoid the judder if you  can get the balance with gas and clutch- a bit like when you are emerging.
hope this makes sense

#11 07-02-06 20:12:41

eric d
Verified Member

Guys, thanks for all the tips, honestly thought i had leased a dodgy car but seems like a common thing by the sounds of it. Will print all your useful tips and see what works best.

Ive only been qualified a few weeks, teaching for last two weeks and finding it brilliant, especially knowing ive got help at the touch of a keyboard. Thanks again  :mrgreen:

ps New Girl...Dont mind sharing my thread with you  wink

#12 07-02-06 20:18:03

sparkle

Our examiners here dont mind dipping clutch on diesels at all.. my micra used to surge something CHRONIC!..... but pupils DID get used to it  :mrgreen:

#13 07-02-06 20:54:10

eric d
Verified Member

Hi guys me again,

Also got the fear that am teaching pupils to drive "my car" and then they get in their own car after passing test and needlessly over use the clutch or are in incorrect gear for their car.

How do i put it in such a way that they drive according to how the car wants/needs to be driven. I dont want to put a bunch of people out on the road driving incorrectly.

God so many fears and its onlt week 2.  :?

#14 07-02-06 23:23:18

bcsom
Verified Member
Website

This surging business:

Diesels do this, when the engine speed is brought down beyond it's normal tick-over rate.  On release of the brake, the engine speed picks back up... & so does the car's.

Ease the clutch in slowly.  Perfectly acceptable.

Russ Green DSA ADI
BLUE CAR School of Motoring
Sheffield

ORDIT 1, 2 & 3 Approved 1-2-1 Pay-As-You-Go Driving Instructor Training

DIAmond Advanced Tests
DIAmond Special Tests

www.blue-car.co.uk (thanks Jonks!)

#15 08-02-06 03:45:10

Cantona

Yeah, I had the same issue but if you think youve got it bad with the 1.4 hdi imagine it on a 2 litre hdi 206 yikes coz thats what i taught in 6 months ago when i passed  :cry:

Now ive got a 1 litre Micra - Heaven smile (for the moment)

Everything looks dull..................Until you open your eyes!!

Board footer