You are not logged in.

#1 06-02-06 11:52:10

danbrown

Fitting cable duals

hello, going to fit a set of universal cable duals at the weekend, wondered if anyone knows of any common difficulties in fitting or easy ways of doing things.

thanks

Dan

06-02-06 11:52:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fitting cable duals

#2 07-02-06 11:55:29

The Mod

Get a decent cordless drill. You will need it. Box of elastoplast, you will need those too. Make sure you know what is behind where you are drilling (wiring loom, brake/fuel lines, etc) keep cable as straight as you can. Lube up the cable & pulleys before fitting then it dont go all over yer carpet. Stick duct tape on back of carpet if you have to cut them (prevents fraying). Its a swine on most cars esp with air con. All depends what duals you got and what car they are going in to.

#3 07-02-06 11:59:06

luchell

Personally considering what they are to be used for (Emergencies) i would get a garage to do it as i wouldn't want to risk it. However i suppose its ok if you know what you're doing smile

#4 07-02-06 12:24:40

danbrown

im currently a fitter building gas turbines, so am confident i can do it safely,

they are peheja cable controls, in a mk 4 vauxhall astra with aircon only thing that puzzles me is the spring on the clutch seems to act the rong direction, with no cables connected it depresses the clutch , anyone know if thats right

#5 07-02-06 12:45:43

The Mod

Not had anything to do with peheja. Indian arent they?
Its only a guess but maybe the spring is acting as a cable pretensioner, or the cable goes around a pulley once fitted so the spring acts in the opposite direction once in situ? Just a thought.

#6 07-02-06 13:14:25

IanG

Hi.

When I shopped around for insurance the first time when I went on a pink the guy on the phone asked if I was fitting my own dual controls.

I said "No."

He said "Good."

I asked why and he stated that they would not insure me unless the dual controls were fitted by a professional who knew what he was doing !!

"Sounds very sensible." says I.

I still think its a damn good idea !!!

Ian.

P.S. Please don't drive too close to my rear end, thanks.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 07-02-06 14:39:08

danbrown

99% of mechanics in my local garages have never seen, let alone fittd dual controlls so whos to say that they would do a better job then me, i AM going to do it properly as its my safety at risk, where as a monkey at a local garage might not be as bothered as he wouldnt have to use it

plus, i am a fully qualified marine grade machanical and electrical engineering test fitter

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 07-02-06 14:41:15

danbrown

Not had anything to do with peheja. Indian arent they?
Its only a guess but maybe the spring is acting as a cable pretensioner, or the cable goes around a pulley once fitted so the spring acts in the opposite direction once in situ? Just a thought.

thats what i though, thanks for the constructive feed back

Board footer