You are not logged in.

#1 01-09-04 22:19:35

flock1

Having the very first pupil.

Hello All,

I've just recieved my trainee licence, and my trainer is arranging for me to get my car next monday (6th sept).

So obviously, I'm nervous as hell about having the first (and indeed the second and third) pupil to teach.

I've done quite a bit of part III training, and have all the books, but to drive up to some house, and then have the student sit next to me, the BIG question is what to do next?

QUESTION #1

How do I answer the following awkward questions?

1. "How long have you been instructing mate?"
        2. "What's your pass rate?"
        3. "Why's your licence thingy pink, and my old instructor's was green?"

QUESTION #2

I get the pupil in, where the hell do I take them? Do I do a recon of the area, spotting sutable crossroads etc? If so, surely this will take ages. For every hour taught, it would take two hours of preparation - spotting each an every road - referring to the A to Z.

QUESTION #4

What if my first ever pupil is A) Thick as two short planks?
                                              B) A banned driver
                                              C) Or a brand new pupil (never even sat in the driver's seat.)

QUESTION #5

What if I get lost?

QUESTION #6

What if the pupil starts to cry?

QUESTION # 7

What if the student stalls in the worst case scenario?

QUESTION #8

What if I cry?

QUESTION #9

What if some one crashes into the back of me with a student? or if the student crashes into, say, a garden wall?

QUESTION #10

How do you address the problem of a reluctant payer? What if they say my instruction is so bad that they only want tp pay half the money?

QUESTION # 11

Accountants. Where do I start with that? And how truthful to be?

I think I'll leave it at that because I could go on all night. However, the most pressing questions are QUESTION # 1 & 2.

Look forward to your speedy replies!!

Jason

01-09-04 22:19:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Having the very first pupil.

#2 02-09-04 07:15:16

Midge
Website

Q 2 & 5
I certainly spent a lot of my own time in the early days driving around looking for suitable routes (nursery, reverses, TIR, etc.).  It shouldn't be too much of a hassle, it's only at the beginning.   There is a suitable estate near us and I think that BSM instructors found it a few years ago and they haven't moved away from it since, how their pupils manage when driving  somewhere else I have no idea.   You need to have a variety of places to go. It will be less embarrassing to get lost without a pupil in the car.
Q 1.   You can make up a pass rate if you don't want to tell the truth, no one but you knows what it is anyway, same with your length of service.
Pink  Licence.    I would have thought it was illegal to tell an untruth here, although I'm pretty sure that a lot of "trainee's" dodge this one.
Q 4
Don't worry about your pupil being as thick as two short planks, I've got all those lol
If they are banned you can't take them anyway.
I would have thought that if you have got as far as a trainee licence you should already know what to do with a pupil with no driving experience at all.
Q 6 & 8.   Always keep a pack of tissues at the ready  ( no I'm not joking)
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#3 02-09-04 19:10:10

vickyrhodes

I worked as a trainee for awhile & no-one asked me about the difference in the badges. With some learners I used to throw it into to the conversation,( the ones I told weren't that bothered) but I would never have lied to them. So far no-one has asked me how long I've been working as ADI for or what my pass rate is
Route planning does take alot of time & as I found recently I can still get it wrong!! A learner on her 4th lesson had to carry out an impromptu reverse (with alot of help from me) when I accidently took her into a cul de sac!
I would agree with Midge ALWAYS carry tissues with you.
Try not to worry about it too much & enjoy the experience
Good luck smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 02-09-04 22:01:04

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

gdsgdf

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#5 02-09-04 22:02:59

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Sorry about the last post, I typed a really long helpful reply that disappeared into cyberspace! Haven't go time to retype now, but that was me exactly 1 year ago. Just try and relax and enjoy yourself, it won't be half as bad as you imagine!

Jason

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#6 02-09-04 22:20:31

foilerist
Verified Member
Website

I found that honesty was and is the best policy, if you tell the pupil that you're a newbie and that all your training and information is up to date with modern training standards, you will then use your lack of experience in your favour.  Using this approach helped (i think) to building up a "trust" between me and my pupils when i was on a pink.  The colour of badge never came up, pass rates hardly ever gets asked.
as regards #2 i will always take any prospective pupil somewhere relatively quiet so's I can control any situation I come across, if the pupil then shows that he can deal with the quiet roads i will then expand the area accordingly.  You might ask your franchiser or other instructors in your local area where they take new pupils.  This might just mean a visit to the local test centre to talk to the instructors whose pupils are on test, could be helpful.
The more lessons you do the more you develop a local map of junctions, speed limits, tricky bends or hills in all the local places.  If I do go anywhere I've not been before I'll say so to the pupil then if you come across a cul de sac or something you've covered yourself.

#7 02-09-04 22:27:52

arwen
Website

Hi hope this helps,my first day i started at 7am i picked up my diary which had 9hrs of piggybacked lessons with an hour for lunch,i was kindly handed an A-Z of the eastend of London an told by my boss to get on with my job. I did get lost an go round in circles but belive me the learners will not notice they are too busy trying to stay alive!! My boss's opinion was 'if you are still here in 2 weeks you will make it' that was 18 yrs ago.They will only know it is your first day if YOU tell them.You have a pink licence so you should know what to do with a pupil.If they stall tell them what to do or take over and get them through it.they shouldnt crash unless you dont have dual controls use your brake!!!! stop it before it gets out of control learners really can be easy to control;
so golden rules
1] arrive on time dont finish early
2]smile..it really does work
3]take control of the lessonl and keep it.
4]dont panic be confident..even if your acting!!!
5]ask them what they can do
6]most important NO CASH NO LESSON AND NO CREDIT FACILLITIES
if you want any advice pm me.
good luck and enjoy. :twisted:

#8 03-09-04 05:59:15

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I started just over a year ago,
I told people i had only just started, and they didnt seem that bothered. we were told in our induction, tell the truth IF asked.
I too started on a pink, but no-one ever asked about it. When i was approaching the time of my 3rd part3 i started to tell pupils that if i failed they would get a new instructor, as a new one had just joined LDC in our area, and explained the situation. It didnt bother any of them, and they all encouraged me to pass test!
I also told people my pass rate was 0% as i hadnt had any tests.

As for routes, you kind of know most of your local area, but i bought an A-Z, and a PC programme AA milemaster, and sat there studying areas and trying to find routes. Eventually you follow other instructors and work out better routes as you go.

Q10... get them to pay up front. if paying weekly take 2 lessons on their first and then 1 each week, then you already have a lesson of there's if they mess you around.  Get them to sign terms and conditions

#9 05-09-04 13:14:44

flock1

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies...much appreciated.

My first pupil is on Wednesday. She has had lessons before, but stopped 7 months ago. She wants an assessment lesson. And that will be my first ever lesson, and I feel barely qualified to do it. For instance, what sort of thigs happen on an assessment lesson?

And if any of you know the Huddersfield are (HD2), then please let me know of any suitable places to my her!!!

Jason

#10 05-09-04 20:10:52

arwen
Website

Hi Jason, first find out where your going(A2Z). Get there a little to early, at least 30 minuets, this will help get a good look for a suitable left turn square. This should be in a quiet area. This will help you to find out what the pupil can do for themself. Pick them up a little early,make sure of liscence and eyesight, and then drive the pupil to this safe location.
Then start asking questions " how many hours they had done 7  months back, how far they had progresed,what car they were driving  and then base your lesson on this information.  :twisted:

#11 05-09-04 20:13:34

arwen
Website

Oh , and good luck mate
                                                               :twisted:

#12 05-09-04 21:17:16

Badger

It may be a bit late now but if you can observe another ADI on a lesson or two before Wed it will help you.

How long is the lesson ?

You will spend the first 5 - 10 minutes meeting her introducing yourself & shaking her hand, getting her details down, licence, eyesight test etc, and finding out what she has covered previously.

Try and meet her outside the car and then put her in the passenger seat and close the door after her.

Why did she stop her lessons.

Use your sponsors record card asa a prompt for the questions to ask about what she has covered.

Pick her up from home or where ever and you drive to the nursery area. Change seats.

Go through the cockpit drill showing her how to adjuist seat etc and then ask her things about biting point etc. Find out what car she drove before and if it was different to yours go through it.  Reverse gear indicator stalk horn (for those weird French cars) etc.

If you can ring her tomorrow and ask what she has done before then you can work out what you are going to do. Otherwise you will have to do it on the hoof.

Do a route recce. Absolutely essential.  You dont want to be in a position where you turn left and suddenly find you are on a slip road onto a Motorway !

Recce a route that is much longer than you need.

As part of the assessment try to teach her something new - it goes down well with a new pupil.  She may not have done a bay park for example and if a supermarket car park is on your route include that as a new subject.

You will soon run out of time

Badger

Board footer