You are not logged in.

#1 29-08-04 01:12:53

jonks

Nissan Micra

Do you use a Nissan Micra?

If so, tell us what you think about the car...

Pro's and cons of using the car for instruction.

What model do you use? (Eg. 1.4 Diesel)

How much does it cost to run?

29-08-04 01:12:53

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Nissan Micra

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 01-09-04 12:46:53

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

New shape Nissan Micra SE 85HP Diesel

It was low on my list of options, having always owned Fords before but one test drive was enough to decide it.

So far I am very happy with the car. Plenty of grunt in low gears and responds well when you need to accelerate. Steering is light and easy, brakes are very responsive. The free driving school pack from dealers includes passenger speedo, dual controls plus a few other bits & peices.

Seats and driving position are good, leg room is generous for a small car, even in the back it's not too bad. Good amount of boot space as well. Excellent visibility all round - it was poor blind spot visibility that excluded many other options - most notably the Mini.

Problems so far: all minor, plastic trim found in the footwell - I still cannot find where it came from  :? Dashboard trim not quite straight, speedo reads 7% too high compared to my GPS system. Electronic key ignition is 'different' so takes a little explaining to pupils. Expecially as the car beeps it's head off when I get out to change seats with a new pupil.

Fuel economy - this is my first school car so compared to my previous car (Ford Galaxy), the Nissan sips gracefully like a lady. Trip computer usually shows between 55 and 85 MPG.

It was not the cheapest option (that was a Corsa) but the extra you pay is well worth it, especially if your family want to use it as well.

One other thing - the roof has a relatively high arch so the roof box magnets do not lie completely flat on the roof. It seems to hold securely but I doubt if I would risk going on the motorway with it on.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#3 01-09-04 21:09:14

Ozzie

You can get specially curve based magnetic headerboards for Micras, I got one for one of my instructors from Lettercraft Topsigns, they charged £70 for a blank board.

Ozzie

#4 01-09-04 21:31:33

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Be careful. I bought a Micra for my first teaching car.

I'm afraid it went through 7 clutches in 2 yrs. I understand that there was a fault with them.

Whether this is now sorted out, I don't know. It wouldn't be my choice.

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#5 05-09-04 23:26:30

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:01 pm   Member - Badger
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corsa 1.2 Comfort 2 door.

Plus points:

I chose the two door version because the doors are bigger. I have had 11 Corsas and I found that on the two four door models I had I rarely used the back doors.

I am 6' 2", 15 1/2 stone.

I find the Corsa comfortable and have no discomfort after an eight hour day. It is economical to run and service (20K intervals) and the 1.2 Ecotec engine is peppy and likes to be driven fairly hard.

Visibility is good with no abnormal blind spots. Mirrors are excellent, big and easily adjustable.

If the car is run in carefully it will use no oil. The only Corsa I had that used oil was an ex rental model, all the rest I had from new.

Tyre consumption is very low. My current vehicle is the first one I have ever had to buy new tyres for. But I noticed that the tyre make has been changed. They still manged to cover 45,000 miles before worn out.

it does pay though, if you live in a rural area like mine, to have the steering alignment checked regularly.

Vauxhall give a deal you can't refuse on Driving School Cars and I have found that the dealer network to be very supportive and efficient.

The basic model has many small thoughtful ideas incorporated in the package.

* Rear Windscreen wipers that switch on automatically when Reverse gear is selected.

* Adjustable intermittent wipe interval.

* Plenty of storage space with little cubbyholes all over the place and good door pockets for pupils to dump their belongings in.

* Only need the ignition for one safety check - brakes.

* Radio automatically updates the time from radio stations

Gripes

Pupils who are hard on the gear stick and try to force it will strain the gear linkages and some gears then become hard to selct. Vauxhall will replace the linkages and restore the normally slick gear change.

The electronics don't like stalling and will get confused. Switch off - pause for a few seconds to allow the computer to reset itself and restart.

Car beeps annoyingly if the door is opened with the key in the ignition. A real pain during the debrief on Tests. Whip the key out.

Ignition does not have to turned off before restart making it possible for pupil to turn the key the wrong way when switching off causing the starter pinion to strike the starter ring on the flywheel making that awful noise.

Overall:

Pupils like the car and they all find it very user friendly.

I like the car. As a tool of the trade it performs well, is reliable and is pretty robust.

I have no intention of changing makes but will try the diesel next.

Badger

Board footer