You are not logged in.

#1 04-02-06 15:16:45

DampDog
Verified Member

Stupid questions!

Hello, I'm new to this forum, so hello all.

I've been thinking about the possibility of becoming a driving instructor for a couple of years, but as yet it's only an idea. However there is a chance I may be made redundant in a few months, so I thought now is as good a time as any to give it some serious consideration, so any comments or views would be appreciated.

1. Assuming I'm competent enough to pass 1,2 & 3. what would be a realistic cost. There are several company's who offer training packages BSM, AA, PassMaster, etc but course costs vary greatly. Some as low as £1400 some almost double that. What would be a reasonable outlay?

2. Almost all offer a franchise package on successfully passing as an instructor, but most I have seen look to take around 40-45% of your earnings, not including petrol. It would appear you would have to log a minimum of 20 hours tuition each week before breaking even. Is that fairly typical of the industry?

3. Would becoming immediately self employed be financial suicide? I assume a client base takes time to build relying on advertising, word of mouth and may take months to establish.

Sorry if these questions are a little simplistic, but unless you ask you don't find out. smile

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

04-02-06 15:16:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Stupid questions!

#2 04-02-06 20:06:20

1stdrive

No such thing as a stupid question.

1. Larger schools offer training packages at a set cost, some of these also have hidden costs i.e exam fees, any extra tuition needed if you fail etc, this can work out expensive. The general advice would be to do p1 yourself, then ask around at test centre's etc and find a good local ADI to do p2&3 on a 'pay as you go' basis. Obviously the cost of this would be directly related to your area and amount of training you require.

2. Dont want to start a franchise v indpendant argument big_smile it's all a matter of choice. Franchise's have the benefit of taking care of advertising etc but as you rightly say your 1st 16-20 hours per week will pay for that. Being independant, as soon as you have your car then it's 100% profit, but you do need to cover your advertising costs. Really all you need is a roofbox and a good website, and if you choose maybe a yellow pages add too.
I personally spent 12 months with a large school on franchise and found I was having to work 40-45 hours per week to earn a decent wage. After the initial fear of will I get work etc I went indy and have never looked back, I now work 26-28 hours for the same amount. As I said before franchise's suit some but not others, it's whats best for you.

3. Hopefully whilst doing your part 3 training you would build up a client base, once you have the amount of hours you wish to do it's just a question of replacing test passes and the odd drop out. Most ADI's will tell you a large % of work come's from recomendations and if you get a couple of people in a college you'll soon have all thier mates.
As for financial suicide, the biggest outlay is a car, there are places that lease ADI cars for around £3-350 per month, you can get one on a 7 month contract. This way you have a car and no initial outlay, if your business works maybe then you can look at buying.
One advantage of training with a school is that when you go out on a 'pink' they will quickly fill your diary up, there is nothing wrong with you doing your training with them then leaving. Doing it with a local ADI means finding your own work, but if you put the word around whilst doing part 2 and get a couple of pupils it's suprising how quickly they come in.
Hope this helps.

#3 04-02-06 21:58:58

DampDog
Verified Member

Thanks for your help it's much appreciated.

I've spent the afternoon browsing this forum and it covers a lot of ground, some of which I knew a little about, and considerably more I knew nothing about. While searching for information I actually came across the Renault website and noticed they offer an Instructor leasing package for around the £300 mark, that includes pretty much everything, dual control modification, insurance, servicing, breakdown but is over a 24 months. In real terms, not including petrol you'd be earning for yourself after 4-5 lessons.
Generating a website I'd probably be able to manage myself, so I'd save a few pounds there, and as for the advertising I guess the local papers, free press, and maybe the local college would seem a good bet.
One of the things you mentioned was a "pink" What is that? a provisional instructors licence? Sorry to appear ignorant but I'm trying to learn as much as I can before "jumping in at the deep end"

From what you've said part 3 is pupil based and that's where the selling youself starts? The 25-30 hours a week is what I'm looking for, I don't want to get rich I just want to earn enough to keep the "wolf from the door" and be my own master for a change, while doing something thats interesting and rewarding to do.

Thanks again, if I can think of any more "stupid questions smile" I'll post them.

1st one where do you source a roof box?

Dave

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 05-02-06 15:56:42

1stdrive

www.drivingschoolcontracthire.co.uk  these do a range of cars for instructors you can have 7 or 12 month contract, they also do a limited range of marketing inc roof boxes.

www.rcmmarketing.co.uk   these do a full range of ADI marketing and usually have a few offers on too.

A pink is a trainee license which you apply for after passing part 2. This allows you to go out and teach pupils to gain experience towards your part 3.
Until you are fully qualified you are not allowed to advertise as an instructor but if you can get a couple try the old 'reccommend a friend and get a free lesson' offer you'll soon see how many mates they have and its a good way to fill up your diary initially.
The advantage of training through a school is they will have a customer base and will give you the work you need to go out and start teaching while a trainee. This is the most expensive route but there's nothing wrong with training with a school then leaving and taking your customers with you.
Pay as you go tuition is far cheaper but you will need to find your own customers and that can be difficult if you cant advertise. If you spread the word whilst doing part 2 and can get a couple in then great or if you know anybody, the reccomendations will soon come.
The pink is only an option and not essential, it does give you experience towards part 3 but it is possible to train around your current job. As you said your being made redundant it may be the best option, that way you start earning and building your business straight away.
Hope this helps.

#5 05-02-06 16:43:44

DampDog
Verified Member

Thanks again, I'm a bit overwhelmed by your help really, I didn't expect anyone to be so generous with information in their reply, Thank you.

I've had a little look at the links you posted and they're pretty much bang on for the sort of information I've been looking for. I've also had a little look at your own website which has some nice ideas. I especially like the map which details your area of coverage.

I'm surprised that if you undertake training that they will allow you to take customers with you, I'd of thought they'd of had something in the contract which stops you taking their pupils. I've now got a couple of information packs fro the AA, and PassMaster and as they both appear to have informal meetings to get a taste, I may go and have a little look. The local test centre is only a couple of miles down the road so I may just pop in. Basically the more information and options I have open will help me come to a decision one way or the other.

While sniffing around for information I noticed that you can get "lesson plans" that are already done. I wasn't thinking of using them, generating my own would be more worthwhile. But as I've never seen one, the layout and format would be useful.

Some of the dual controls I've seen appear to be removable is that the norm? If I were to purchase or lease a car then if the controls were removable then it could also double as the family vehicle, or is that unwise?

I noticed that you say you do 26-28 hours a week are those hours, normal working hours, or are you flexible. I would imagine that during the day most people are at work, so I assume some of those hours are in the evening or at weekends.

Sorry to keep launching questions at you, but your answers are so informative that it's sets "the cogs whirring" and I'm off again. Problem is you don't know, what you don't know... if that makes sense.

Thanks
Dave

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#6 05-02-06 17:02:45

luchell

Hi Dave. Thought i'd try to help you with a couple of questions.

With regards to taking pupils with you, they are NOT anyones property and are free to learn with whoever they choose. I was with Bsm, all i did was say to my pupils " I'm leaving, you will be given a new instructor." I gave them a buisness card and said along the lines of if you need me you know where i am. Later that night most rang and all came with me as i became independent. I didn't ring them.

With references to 'normal' working hours. Depends on what you mean. I was a nurse so normal for me was lates and nights smile

I do about 6 hours a day 4 and a half days a week. I have wednesday and sunday off. Evenings are popular as are saturdays. If i didn't want to work saturdys or evenings in this area i would still have choice of working hours. In some areas you may not be so lucky though. You may have to accept what comes to you initially then become fussier about when you're going to work later.

I do a 10 til 12, 12.30 til 2.30 then a 3 til 5 mon tues thurs fri. 9.30 til 11, 11.30 til 1.30 then 2 til 3.30

Sometimes if im doing an evening lessons from 5.30 til 7.30 i will just start at 12.30 instead so i have a lie in! lol

Some good books i would recommend for you which include info on lesson plans as well as just about anything Driving instructor related are

The driving instructors handbook.By Margarate stacey.

Practical teaching skills for Driving instructors. By Margaret stacy, John Miller and Tony Scriven

Instructional techniques and practise. (I forget who this one is by) I got hold of all three on Ebay for a great price each. lol

I dont know about removable duals im afraid. I just make sure i tell my passenger to move their feet either side of the duals when my car isnt being taught in. Works fine.

What sort of time limit are you looking at to qualify within?

With regards to a pink licence, i had no choice but to leave my job so the pink allowed me to earn a reasonable amount of money as i did it full time with a large company, most importantly experience with real pupils. Some on a pink can also get into their own 'bad habits' whilst left unsupervised teaching so again lots to think about as to weather you want to go in straight for your Green or if you are interested in a pink.

You need to pass part two AND have 40 hours compulsory part three training before your trainer can send the form off. You MUST have a sponsor whilst you are on your pink also.

You need to remember the pink is for LEARNING NOT EARNING. It is very important not to over do it as the studying is quite intense for the part three test and the pass rate low, lots of work to put in to make sure you are as fully prepared as possible. I wouldnt suggest anyone leaves their job to go on a pink as a part three pass is NOT guaranteed. If like yourself you were being made redundant well you're not jacking the job is so no harm going on a pink full time as long as you set aside study time.

Hope some of this helps. Feel free to ask away. I got my headboard from Rcm whose webaite is given by 1st drive. Great pric, i also bought magnetic door panels and had em stolen! Now my car is signwritten for 120 pounds so no one can steal that!

#7 05-02-06 18:56:58

1stdrive

My hours are totally flexible, generally I do 2-3 evenings per week up till 8 pm but don't start till 12-1 and work Saturdays. Sunday and Thursday I have off. You do have to fit in round pupils to a certain degree but when you say 'sorry cant do that time' its amazing that suddenly they're free.
As Luchell says the pupils are no ones property and can choose who they learn with and anyway you've paid for them through your franchise. I to was with BSM and left to go indy, I told all my pupils they could stick with me or have a new instructor, I didn't force them and all said they'd stay with me. Large schools do have a fairly high turnover of instructors and do not expect pupils back when you leave.

With regards to the lesson plans, theres plenty available on the market and if you do choose a large school to train with you'll probably be supplied them anyway. As you say making your own based on these is the best option (thats what I did).

Dual controls are easily removed and if you get a mid-sized car e.g. Focus,307 etc theres no reason why it can't be the family car. Some hire companies do have annual mileage limits (mine is 18000 for 7 months) and charge if you go over (around 9p per mile) so if you choose to lease initially you may wanna keep your private car for any long journeys, I have never gone over yet though. If you choose to buy then as long as the car is kept maintained and in good order theres no reason why not.

Keep asking any questions you may have, this is certainly the right place for advice wink

#8 05-02-06 20:27:36

DampDog
Verified Member

Thank guys this is all great stuff, I've learned more in the last couple of days from this forum than in the previous few weeks.

Ok let me see if I fully understand the "pink licence"

So assuming I'm bright and competent enough to pass part 2, which is fundamentally a test of "my" knowledge of the highway code, road craft, etc, and documentation that is relevant to being an instructor.

Part 3 is a measure of my ability to teach the necessary skills to pupils.

I don't understand, what's the difference in going straight for the green badge as opposed to applying for a pink. I thought the pink was the next step after passing part 2, and simply allowed you to practise your teaching skills under supervision/tuition while qualifying. ( for a minimum of 40 hours, which I did not know! thx) Or is it something different?

If I understand correctly any pupils that are still sitting in with me before I pass are likely to follow me once qualified, ( if I drop the odd hint) and basically get my diary started. So, basically I try to become known to as many people as possible before hopefully becoming qualified.

So As I understand you're not allowed to take any money until you have the green badge.

Being flexible with working hours would suit me, it's the long hours that I've had enough of. When you say 26-28 hours a week I assume that means teaching, and doesn't count time travelling between pupils?

As for the relevant reading, I've just bought.

And I guess I'll be adding your suggestions in the near future.

Difficult one this. If you had to choose a company for tuition, who would you recommend? Locally I have.

Why would anyone in their right mind steal "your" door panels???? what possible use could they be?? I assume they've got your name and number all over em. Strange people. I did have a little think about sign writers, seems the latest thing is vinyl which I believe can be removed when you sell the car.

I can't say how valuable you help has been, and I hope will continue to be. But you've certainly given me help in heading off the the right direction.

Many, many thanks
Dave

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#9 05-02-06 20:49:10

1stdrive

Your part 2 is a test of your ability to drive, all the highway code, documentation etc will be covered in part 1.

Your pink badge allows you to teach pupils for money whilst under the supervision of a school/ADI. If i'm not mistaken you either need 40 hours training beforehand or your trainer needs to supervise I think it's 25% of your lessons (trying to remember but i'm sure someone will put you right if i'm not).
This allows you to gain valuble experience towards your part 3 by giving actual lessons and practising your skills with real life pupils. You do not need to tell them your not fully qualified unless they ask and when you do get your green nothing changes for them. Doing this also allows you to start your diary and get your customer base up ready for when you qualify and start advertising.

Not everybody is suited to the pink route, they may have a job already and do not want to give it up in case they dont pass p3, but if you are being made redundant then it's possibly a good choice for you as you start earning quicker, but as Luchell pointed out it's really a period where you are working towards your part 3 so a handful of students to practise on will give you plenty of study time too.

My 26-28 hours is teaching time, depending on location of pupils and the size of your area covered you may choose to leave 15min or 1/2 hour in between. I prefer 1/2 hour gives me time for a drink and a quick read of the paper.

As for the training your best bet it to attend an 'interview' with each of them but remember, your interviewing them you have the cash. I personally did my training with BSM, although expensive I thought the training I got was excellent, but the ADI trainer I had also teaches people himself so I could have got the same tuition cheaper if i'd known. Visit your test centre a few times and chat to other ADI's about their training, they may even put you in touch with someone.

#10 05-02-06 21:49:21

Karenadi

As well as the big schools that you pay up front for, there are smaller trainers, who can often give a more personal touch, and will accept payment by the hour, meaning on your part 2 you can take as little or as much training as you feel you need, as you can spend time practising your new driving standard (assuming your as rubbish as the rest of us were when we started out - sorry Lurchell - most of the rest of us). 

I can't remember the details of the Part 3, and so will leave that info for another to post, but again, you will be able to find trainers who will accept hourly payment.

I will add: BE CAREFUL.  Many people have entered into training agreements, spent alot of money, sometimes up front, to find that their trainer either goes bust or that the quality of the training is poor. You need to remember that from the date you pass your theory (Part 1), you only have 2 years, and three attempts at each of parts 2 and 3 to qualify.  3 strikes, and you have to wait until the two years and up, then start again.  (Something the ads don't tell you).  Also see post re BSM ad on tele: you'll get a bit more insight into earnings from there.

Try and ask around and get a recommendation.  It'll be well worth it in the end.  Please don't think me negative.  I love my job, and I'd say if you fancy it go for it, but as I'm not in the business of selling training, I feel it only fair to make you aware of the pitfalls too.

If you would care to reveal your location, then I'm sure people on here could recommend reliable quality trainers local to you.

Hope that is helpful too.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 06-02-06 09:37:03

DampDog
Verified Member

I feel it only fair to make you aware of the pitfalls too.

Great! this is exactly the advice I hoped I'd find.

I couldn't agree more with your view that the pitfalls need pointing out, it's easy to succumb to the glossy brochures and make a potentially disastrous decision. I'm not at work this week, so I think I'll head on down to may local test centre and just ask a few questions. Passmaster, have already offered me an informal interview so I'll go to that, your advice that it's my money, I'm doing the interview makes sense, chances are I'll also give BSM and the AA a ring too.

As I said initially, chances are that I'm going to be out of work in the none to distant future so the full time training course may be the best route forwards. What I didn't want to do was be trained by a company and have no real choice other than a franchise, "All the glossy brochures tell you this is your best option" and the minimum contract would appear to be 12 months. Most if not all, look to take at least the first £200 pounds each week, that's £10400 a year!!

Assuming I could get enough referrals to get me going, I could lease a "New" car for around £75 a week that's £3900 a year. On paper at least that would leave me £6500 better off. I'd be willing to bet that would cover me for advertising, website, and teaching materials with some margin to spare. Really it's down to me being brave enough (maybe foolish) to go it alone from day one. All the training companies tell you that's "financial suicide," then again it's in their interest to say that.

Sitting and planning it through in my head, it seems simple, pass part 1,2 & 3, get a few people in your diary and away you go. Unfortunately the real world is seldom so accommodating. I have no illusions that the first few months/years, until you become "know" can be a scary place to be. Being self employed brings with it a whole new set of things to think about, Tax, Insurance, Accountants, Pension, my little brain is already beginning to smoke big_smile

Also how do you compete with the "Big Boys?" they offer training aids, mock tests, etc. Or can most of these things be source outside anyway?

Well people, you've certainly given me a great deal of good advice, I think I need bite the bullet and pop into the "test centre" and see what I can find out. No doubt I'll have more "stupid questions" shortly, but a big thank-you for all your support so far.

Dave

[Edit] Here we go just had a thought, are there any sites that do a part 1 mock test? Or books similar to the DSA theory test for learner drivers. Also the hazard perception test. It's 25 years or so since I took my test and there was no such test then.... other than not driving over the man walking infront of the car waving the flag...hehehe wink

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#12 06-02-06 10:06:23

luchell

I was just lucky with my driving Karen. I always wanted to be an instructor as soon as i began L test lessons. I did the Iam and Rospa at 17/18 years old and never did change my driving again. I just needed to remember Mspsl from my L test days and it was fine.

Part three, to go on a pink you will need a mandatory 40 hours training on certain subjects that your trainer must sign off. Once you are on a pink licence you must have either 1 in 5 lessons supervised OR 20 hours training classroom/on road. I did the latter as the company i trained with didn't have enough trainers or Adis to supervise one in five lessons.

My signs??? Drunks on new years eve thought it would be funny. An instructor returned one that was battered never found the other  roll

#13 06-02-06 10:12:01

1stdrive

You can get a CD-rom for your part1 theory questions and also one for the hazard perception test.
With reference to being self employed, give the inland revenue a call and explain you may be about to become self employed, ask them to send you out the brochures and leaflets you need. They really are a great help and will give you an insight into the business side of things.

Also how do you compete with the "Big Boys?"

You don't, you work alongside them. There are people who will always want to go to a large school for whatever reason, and they will. But there are people who prefer local independant ADI's, you make sure these come to you. The initial startup is the hardest but when your diary is full, as long as you give good tuition the reccommendations will come in.

I was with BSM doing my training and had a 12 month contract, this started when I got my pink license so by the time I had past part3 I only had a few months left. Just enough time to sort out my car, website and pupils before handing in my notice. big_smile
There really are so many options, you have to choose the best one for you, take your time and speak to as many local ADI's as possible (most will be only to willing to help) and check out all the schools. There are alot of excellent trainers out there, but as has already been pointed out, there are alot of companies who take your cash n leave you with very poor quality training.
GOOD LUCK.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 06-02-06 10:47:22

DampDog
Verified Member

Also how do you compete with the "Big Boys?"

Sorry, 1stdrive I didn't intend to sound combatant, I was just asking what if anything in the way of resources are available to the guy working on his own. I assume you could alway do a info pack of your own, and even have your own supply of book/CD's.

Oh and the one obvious question I've not asked as yet, is just how difficult are parts 1,2 & 3 And assuming I go for the training how long would you expect it to take? 12 or 18months is just a guess on my part.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#15 06-02-06 11:14:20

1stdrive

Combatent it a good thing, you have a business and want people to use it. big_smile

There are lots of books, cd's, training aids etc for driving and theory. You can buy these and then maybe sell them to your pupils at 'trade cost' or maybe start a pack you give them on startup, the possibilities are endless.

The exams are only easy if you've put in the required hours and have had a good quality trainer. Parts 2&3 require a very high standard. With the right tuition and the right effort, it's easy to get there, but if your not there you will fail. Don't mean to scare you but it's only fair that you know that a high standard is required. This is why it's important to choose the right trainer.

The time length will depend on how many hours you are putting in, test waiting times in your area and wether you pass them 1st,2nd or 3rd time. I trained up to part 2 around my job,so it took me around 20 months but can be done quicker.

#16 06-02-06 13:03:53

Karenadi

As for the big boys, like has been said, we don't compete we work together.  I'm totally independant, and have training aids, including lesson handouts, and a video drive system in my car, I do mock tests, we help each other out with check test training, and cpd. I have a dedicated office at home, and provide theory/haz perception training as required.

Have a look at www.smartdriving.co.uk

Brilliant for ADIs PDIs and learners alike.  John Farlam is a pioneer in this field and instructor training also: although you'd be hard pushed to get on one of his courses I think, as he is booked well in advance.

Didn't mean to be pedantic Luchell, just noted that you stated you had retained your standards, which is sadly a rarity.

Dampdog: please be careful if you assume passing these exams is going to be easy.  You need to be prepared to be determined and work hard: it is fun, obtainable but it's not a walk in the park for the majority.  The standards required are high.  My philosophy is always 'if you want something badly enough you can have it'.

Keep talking.  Always happy to help.

#17 06-02-06 15:10:50

DampDog
Verified Member

Don't worry I hadn't assumed it to be easy, in fact just the opposite smile

I just thought a good starting point would be to find out what to expect if I could manage to make the grade. As I mentioned I'm about to be made redundant after 20 years with the same company, so I thought rather than it being bad news, it might be an opportunity to change direction completely. Money is not the driving factor, what really appeals to me is the possibility of being my own lord and master. I already do some training as part of my present job and enjoy that the most. To be honest I just want to make enough money to get by, so 20-25 hours a week would suit me fine.

In the past I've done the 50-60 Hours a week thing and I intend them to stay behind me. Now is the wobbly bit for me, as I've not made my mind up which would be the best way for me to get the required training, which is why I am asking all the dumb questions. But once I've made my mind up, I'm quite focused and determined. I write procedures and test specs. all the time, which I imagine aren't a million miles away from lesson plans. To be honest I'm one of the worlds biggest worriers until I actually start doing stuff, so until I'm 110% convinced in my own mind, I'll continue to hunt down as much information as I can to try and get a objective picture.

I think I need to do a fair bit more reading yet to get a feel for the job, whether I could see myself doing it for the next 20 years. Another question is how stressful/intense can it be, i'd imagine the initial training and first few live pupils to be quite challenging but hopefully as your confidence grows it become second nature, however the consentration required while instructing must be quite drainning at the end of 8 hour day.

Anyway I'm off to Amazon to see what they have in the way of reading and 1stdrive pointed me at a couple of links which look to have loads of stuff.

[Edit] Oh I've just had a look at the link you posted smartdriving.co.uk what a great site. pretty sure I'd have never found it by chance thanx for that.

Thanks

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#18 06-02-06 16:32:17

1stdrive

Another question is how stressful/intense can it be, i'd imagine the initial training and first few live pupils to be quite challenging but hopefully as your confidence grows it become second nature, however the consentration required while instructing must be quite drainning at the end of 8 hour day.

From my experience my first week was aweful and thought I'd made a huge mistake, lessons were running away from me even though i'd been trained to stop this. After a couple of weeks the confidence returned and now I totally love it. The freedom of being your own boss is great, although once qualified you have to be disciplined with yourself enough to maintain the high standards. This avoids potential problems in the future.
The concentration needed can tire you out, just driving is tiring enough. This is the reason I leave 30 mins in between lessons, it gives me time to have a drink and get ready for the next one.

#19 06-02-06 16:46:18

DampDog
Verified Member

1stdrive how long have you been self employed? I notice your website says you were established in 2004 (Nice website by the way) I assume by the fact you're offering franchise business you've got more clients than you can handle. It's a pity you're down in Birmingham as your franchise offer looks appealing.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#20 06-02-06 16:56:15

1stdrive

been training since august 03, qualified jan 04, went indy april 04. The other guy on the website was my training partner at bsm. Initially we were hoping for enough work to keep ourselves busy but with the website and reccommendations we are constantly turning work away. The franchise part is really to 'test the water' we are maybe looking at taking 1 or possibly 2 people on but have nothing finalised as yet. It's all happened so fast but i'm not complaining.

#21 06-02-06 17:13:20

DampDog
Verified Member

Fantastic, it's nice to hear a success story for a change. That fact that you've grown so quickly is a fair indicator that you must be doing something right. From what I've read here you're certainly professionally in your approach and your the boss. I've worked for the same people for 20 years and apart from a few quid when they get rid of me that's really all I'll have to show. Still I'm just the wrong side of 40 so I'm due a mid life crisis anyway smile

I hope you continue to do well.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#22 06-02-06 22:22:49

1stdrive

Thanks big_smile
Age means nothing in this job, if you have a real desire to do well then you will. The job satisfaction comes from seeing your pupil go from never being in a car before, to being a safe confident driver, all because you made it happen. I'll never forget my 1st test pass, he was so happy and couldn't thank me enough, don't think I stopped smiling all day  big_smile big_smile big_smile

#23 07-02-06 16:22:04

DampDog
Verified Member

Hmmm....

I think I've got an clearer idea of the way I want to go. The part 1 I'm going for on my own, I'll invest a few quid in the Part 1 Study Pack from rcmmarketing.co.uk which comes in at £99, if nothing else I'll brush up on the highway code. I'm pretty sure it'll be the hazard perception test that will be unfamiliar. They didn't have them in my day and as yet I can't find a mock part 1 for instructors. (unless it's the same as the one for learner, just a higher pass level) So any pointers would be gratefully received.
As I understand the part 1 has no limit to the number of attempts (obviously I want to do it in one) But as the AA want circa £580 for their part 1 tuition fee, even if I fail a couple of times I'll still be better off. After I cross that bridge I'll re-consider the best way forwards. I've not started looking in anger to see if I can find a pay as you go instructor, but will call in at the local test centre later this week, and see how the land lies. If I'm not lucky enough to find one, then It will have to be one of the larger company's
If I go pay as you go, that's were it gets fuzzy, assuming I get passed the part 2, Where do I source the pupils for part 3, or do I rely on the guy (or gal) teaching me to supply, I suppose if he's got me in the car at £25 an hour and a pupil at £20, he won't mind to much if some follow me. Or am I looking at it completely wrong.

The other question is the "pink" licence, Sorry I'm a bit of a numpty and still don't fully understand what I can and can't do on a "pink" so I need a little help on that.

1. Before I can apply for a pink I am required to have a minimum 40 hours post part 2? Yes/No
2. Does a "pink" mean I can go solo with pupils?  Yes/No
3. Am I allowed to accept a fee on a pink?

As for a car, I'm considering using my own. It's a Polo 1.9 TDi 2002 and shines like new, so getting dual controls fitted may be the way to go.

So there ya go guys more questions. smile

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#24 07-02-06 17:06:43

MiniClassic
Verified Member

Hi DampDog,

I'm just starting out as well, so haven't got as far as a Pink, so willing to be corrected:

1. Yes, I think: this is the one I'm slightly confused by - there's also a 20 hour tuition time so it may be this before you start and then the 40 while in the Pink. Can anyone confirm?
2. Yes - Your instructor can sit in with you, but doesn't have to unless you choose a particular route through the Pink system - this is where the 20 hours thing crops up!
3. Yes - You'll be paying a franchise fee to your sponsor, so you will need to cover that cost. As others have said, a Pink isn't to make money, but to gain experience - or that's how I'm going to look on it - enough to break even or get a bit of extra, but basically not so much I haven't got time for my revision.

The help I can be useful on is the HP part of the Part 1 - the DSA do their own DVD of clips to the same standard as the test. This is obviously the most realistic, but there are only ten clips on it so can be over-used. The other one that is most used is the Focus one. This is the one that can be found in Smiths, Woolies, etc or from Amazon & has lots of clips on for good practice, but are at a different speed. I've got both for my Part 1 practising.
Andy.

Ambition Driving College

#25 07-02-06 17:48:30

luchell

1. YES
2.YES
3.YES
thats to Dampdogs questions. 40 hours to be able to get the pink licence, then 20 hours training OR 25 percent of lessons supervised.

Your trainer will have to sponsor you on a pink not everyone does this especially if all the business they have they need for themselves some promise to supply then you find there are no pupils and you're paying and using your 6 months on a pink. Thats all it lasts for.

Some go to the bigger companies to get sponsored after having their hours other take on freebies with no pink so you cannot charge for that(This means you can get vital practise and go straight to your green badge and skip the pink the pink is optional).

Its good to not be tied to a contract though (It was for me may be different for you) Your franchiser(PInk sponsor) will have to supply your pupils although you can get some people you know to take lessons with you on your pink or get some of your pupils to recommend some more to you but be aware NOT to advertise for yourself as you cant.

With regards to part one, you MUST have a very very thorough knowledge of the part one. It is hard to pass if you dont know your theory inside and out. If you skimp on knowledge in this part it will show later so make sure to study until your head spins almost.

Board footer