You are not logged in.

#1 05-03-04 19:28:57

Folk

Gaps & Stopping Distances

I'd like to ask why it is that if a car is following very closely behind when you are driving, you are meant to slow down and leave a bigger gap between you and the car in front.  Logic says you should speed up, not slow down - isn't there a danger the car could go into you?   :?

05-03-04 19:28:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Gaps & Stopping Distances

#2 05-03-04 19:35:41

Liesa

What you should do is increase the gap between you and the vehicle
in front, this will give you a greater stopping distance in an emergency!

If you just slow down there is a risk as you say of the car behind running into you!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 05-03-04 19:40:00

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Folk,

If someone is tailgating you (Right up your backside) you need to check your mirrors and ease off the gas a little to increase the overall stopping distance between you and the vehicle ahead.

You may have heard of the '2 Second rule', I would suggest if there is only a 1 second gap behind you, then you should try to carefully create a 3 second gap in front of you.

Am I making sense?

Most motorway accidents happen because this rule is not applied. Often in heavy traffic each car is say only 1.5 seconds behind the next and when something happens each driver brakes a fraction too hard to compensate and each successive car behind has to brake ever harder until someone can't manage to do enough and then all chaos breaks out.

Even if people overtake and pull into the gap you've left you'll still be safer than trying to accelerate.

Safe Driving!

Regards,

#4 05-03-04 20:54:58

Bob_FOADS

what's said above is true and correct.

In addition...
If you were to speed up do you think the person behind would be left trailing? not a hope! They'd be the same distance behind you still but just going much faster meaning even less stopping distance for you and them.

#5 05-03-04 21:09:35

Badger

The two second rule  is the absolute minimum and is dependent upon good roads, dry weather and good tyres etc etc.  Attention has to be riveted  on the brake lights of the vehicle in front.

It is also the answer required in the theory test.

My advice to my pupils is to keep a four second space between vehicles allowing for a more relaxed style of driving.

Four seconds is also the gap stipulated for LGV.

Most drivers follow at a distance of one second or less behind the vehicle in front.

To answer the posters question. 

If Kevin Beanie in his white van  is five metres from the back of your car at 60 mph you are not going to be stamping on your brakes if something  goes pear shaped ahead.

You will need plenty of warning of problems ahead so that you can brake in response to what you see behind you.   The only way you can achieve that is to have a much bigger space between you and the vehicles ahead.

Hope that helps

Badger

#6 07-03-04 01:20:50

pageant

The two second rule is actually a standardised fail safe separation distance that is usually vital for all and must be adhered to at all times by learners, test candidates and inexperienced drivers. With a full knowledge of car control, thinking distances, braking distances and prevailing traffic and visibility conditions, a skilled driver can quite safely on the odd occasion assess a gap of a little less than two seconds to be perfectly safe. The problem is that most drivers do not have the above skills(or care about them) yet procede to not only reduce the two second gap but to attach themselves to the bumper of the vehicle in front.With 2 secs being a fail safe gap, why teach a 4 sec gap?

#7 07-03-04 08:16:00

Liesa

Pageant

Your entitled to your own oppinion. But please remember that we do have learners viewing this forum, and it's very easy to misinterperet what's being said!

#8 07-03-04 09:20:29

pageant

Sorry Liesa, youre right. Although what I said should not be open to misinterpretation I FULLY accept it was probably not the right place to post it. So all you learners out there- Liesa is a voice of reason and please follow the advice of the other contributers!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 07-03-04 09:28:24

arib
Verified Member
Website

Badger wrote:

My advice to my pupils is to keep a four second space between vehicles allowing for a more relaxed style of driving.

Four seconds is also the gap stipulated for LGV.

Most drivers follow at a distance of one second or less behind the vehicle in front.

I totally agree Badger. The more time you've got to react the safer you deal with the unexpected. I to used this 4 sec rule until an examiner had words with me over the issue because it cropped on on a test. The pupil didn't fail but it was mentioned in the debrief. I have compromised at 3 secs now and have had no further problems. One of the reasons I prefer the extra distance is the fact that when pupils get their own car it is no doubt of an age where braking effeciancy isn't as good as the car they've learnt in.

Never heard of the 4 sec rule for lorry drivers though. And from what I see every day neither have they. lol

ariB

#10 07-03-04 13:48:21

Badger

I agree Arib.

In my view the important point to remember is that the 2 sec rule is the absolute minimum safety margin and it depends upon so many things, the most important being concentration.

With the tendency of drivers to fiddle about with CD players, read maps etc., whilst they are driving and thus reducing the level of concentration on the road I advocate a 4 sec rule as the safer option.

In towns at urban speed limits I teach the 1 foot/mph guide which gives around 10 metres at 30 mph - I think that is what has kept me safe from the DEs !

just my view

Badger

#11 09-03-04 19:11:05

Folk

Thank you all, lots of food for thought!

Folk

#12 09-03-04 20:56:05

Liesa

Hi Folk

We're only too glad to help.  big_smile

Speak soon!

#13 26-09-08 20:34:08

michaelat50
Verified Member

could someone please clarify for me about stopping distance in town traffic at less than 30 mph thanks michael

#14 26-09-08 21:03:34

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Where did you dredge this thread up from?

Stopping distances for various speeds are in the highway code.

In real life though - who cares, the gaps mentioned earlier in the thread cover all eventualities.

Is there a reason behind your question?

#15 27-09-08 11:52:24

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Down here we have a saying - "we can't control the the car in front but we can control the car behind."
This doesn't mean that you try to make the car behind do weird, stupid or dangerous things, but it does mean that you should NOT let the car behind BULLY YOU.

If someone tailgates you, in most cases the worst thing you could do is to speed up.

Why is that car coming up close behind?
Perhaps the driver is tired and not concentrating, perhaps they are in a hurry and impatient, whatever the reason, it is often a conscious or sub-conscious attempt to "control" you and make you speed up.

If you do, you are letting them have a win thus encouraging them to further their dangerous behaviour, and are also putting yourself in a potentially dangerous position.
Learner drivers often let a tailgating idiot "force them" to take a turn too quickly for safety, or they find themselves having to suddenly brake hard (with the tailgater running up their rear) in a sudden situation.

By slowing and increasing the following distance with the car in front, you are reducing the chances of having to suddenly brake hard with a car close behind.
As a bonus, the tailgater might even overtake you and get out of your hair!

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#16 12-10-08 02:27:57

dog
Verified Member

I've seen numerous adverts which portray the stopping distance at 30mph to be an eternity when in reality it actually is not. DISCLAIMER - this doesn't mean you should sit right up the arse of the car in front.

I think the main problem is people afraid to use their brakes. And the highway code probably compensates for that, along with the fact that there are indeed cars still on our roads which don't even have disc brakes, or power assistance etc.

A Corsa misinterpreted my actions at a roundabout today and assumed I was going straight on when in fact I was even in the lane which you can ONLY turn right in, and decided to pull out in front of me, this was when I was probably less than 10 metres from it and I still stopped dead (without maximum braking or help from ABS even) with loads of room to spare.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 12-10-08 07:59:31

adi
Verified Member
Website

A Corsa misinterpreted my actions at a roundabout today and assumed I was going straight on when in fact I was even in the lane which you can ONLY turn right in, and decided to pull out in front of me, this was when I was probably less than 10 metres from it and I still stopped dead (without maximum braking or help from ABS even) with loads of room to spare

Because of your good driving skills in anticipating the actions of the other car you stopped, but as we all know the majority of drivers do so passively, so even though their vehicles stopping ability may be advanced their thinking ability lags, so without a 'big' gap most people will just respond too late.

#18 16-10-08 05:29:42

ExAdiNigel

....A Corsa misinterpreted my actions at a roundabout today and assumed I was going straight on when in fact I was even in the lane which you can ONLY turn right in, and decided to pull out in front of me, this was when I was probably less than 10 metres from it and I still stopped dead (without maximum braking or help from ABS even) with loads of room to spare.

Is it obvious to road users other than those behind you that you can only turn right from that lane?  Or would a signal help to confirm your intentions?

There are certainly some roundabouts in Swindon that are marked as going in one direction only, but that is only obvious to cars going in that lane and not to vehicles approaching from other directions.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#19 19-10-08 17:26:26

dog
Verified Member

Yes it is obvious, I suppose it was a little less obvious this time because I was actually in the correct lane all the way around the roundabout (still separated from the 'straight on' lane by a dashed white line), rather than cutting across three or four lanes like everyone else does.

#20 19-10-08 17:42:53

KevB
Verified Member
Website

To answer the earlier question.

Advisory MINIMUM clearance between vehicles at speeds upto 30mph would be the Braking Distance.

#21 19-10-08 21:22:04

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

I've seen numerous adverts which portray the stopping distance at 30mph to be an eternity when in reality it actually is not. DISCLAIMER - this doesn't mean you should sit right up the arse of the car in front.

I think the main problem is people afraid to use their brakes. And the highway code probably compensates for that, along with the fact that there are indeed cars still on our roads which don't even have disc brakes, or power assistance etc.

A Corsa misinterpreted my actions at a roundabout today and assumed I was going straight on when in fact I was even in the lane which you can ONLY turn right in, and decided to pull out in front of me, this was when I was probably less than 10 metres from it and I still stopped dead (without maximum braking or help from ABS even) with loads of room to spare.

I've heard that the average reaction time for most people (no drink, drugs, illness, tiredness etc) is 2/3 of a second.

So, you're doing 30 and the guy in front spots a parking space and slams his brakes on. 2/3 of a second later, you hit yours. The problem is that he has already lost most of his 30 mph and his brakes are getting more and more efficient as he losses speed. Your brakes are not yet working at maximum efficiency and you're only just dropping under 30. Bottom line,2 seconds allows not just for stopping time plus reaction time, it also allows for the compression of the gap that naturally happens in an emergency situation.

What if the guy infront has better brakes and tyres? A couple of years ago I was doing about 70 on the motorway when a merc cut infront of the BMW infront of me. The BMW driver must have given him the finger because next thing, the brakes lights came on on the merc. I went for my brakes before the BMW driver, and I had a good 2 second gap,and I still really struggled to get the stop done in time. My poor little Kia Picanto was really loose as it tried to slow as fast as the 2 big German cars ahead.

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

Board footer