You are not logged in.

#1 22-08-04 20:00:37

Johnny

Part 2 Problems

Hello. Have had my first Part 2 lesson and it was absoloutely awful. Everything I did was wrong, from my speed to how I approached roundabouts and junctions. The instructor shouted at me all the time and made sarcastic comments about my driving.  :evil:  I appreciate that some points he made were valid and I am prepared to work at my driving so it reaches the required standard and I am good! However, I am really confused about how to go about improving my driving and what is expected of me now. I have a lot of driving experience and am not consided as a bad driver, by myself or anyone else who knows me. I don't understand why all roundabouts have to be taken in second gear, or why all roads with a thirty mile an hour limit have to be done in third when depending on the layout of the road fourth would be appropriate (keeping within the speed limit). I don't know if I should revert back to "L" test standard because whenever I seem to use any of my experience it is wrong and apparently "dangerous"! Can anyone help me please because I've lost all my confidence. :cry: 

Thanks very much folks

22-08-04 20:00:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 2 Problems

#2 22-08-04 20:39:08

Badger

OK Johnny - no problems.

First of all who are you training with?

The golden rule of instruction is "dont demoralise the pupil". 

You should have started wuith an assessment drive which normally takes the form af a mock test. At the end the Instructor should go through each point explaining exactly what was wrong and how to improve.

He should then say that it is not a real problem just practice.

The main points you mention are 2nd gear for Roundabouts and 3rd gear for 30 mph.

The gear for roundabouts is chosen once you have decided what to do. Use the brakes to slow the car on the approach until you reach the speed where you decide to either continue or stop. I

If it is continue then choose the appropriate gear for the speed you are going to continue in.  Smallish roundabout involving a lot of steering  - probably 2nd gear.  Large roundabout  good zones of vision no traffic about probably 3rd maybe even 4th. 

Possibly all the roundabouts you experienced on your lesson needed 2nd gear anyway.

3rd gear in town at 30 mph is somethiing that the DSA will soon be querying.  ECO driving dictates that you should drive in the highest gear that the car will sustain comfortably.  A lot depends upon the car - is it comfortable in 4th gear at 30 mph or less.

A 3.5 litre Mercedes will probably stall in 4th gear at 30 mph.  Either that or its tick-over will buzz you along at 40 mph and you'll get flashed.

Anyway try to enjoy your part two sessions and if you are confused or stressed then tell your instructor.  After all you are paying him to do a job for you. !!

Badger

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 22-08-04 21:49:04

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

Hi Johnny

I'd echo everything Badger said, but I'd find a new instructor if I were you.

I don't believe any driving instructor should have the need to shout at a pupil anytime. Nor should sarcastic comments be used, and certainly not on a first lesson. I do have a laugh and a joke with pupils when I get to know them better, and an occasional sarcastic comment in the right circumstances. I never let a lesson end on a downer, and always offer lots of encouragement.

If this is the same instructor you're planning to do Part 3 with, I'd certainly think about looking for someone with a better attitude.

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#4 23-08-04 22:04:40

Lynne
Verified Member

Hi Johnny

I am appalled you have been treated this way on your initial lesson.  Firstly, you would be nervous anyway and any instructor should take that into account.  To demoralise you is not good practice. 

I had 2 brilliant trainers for Part2 & 3.  Although I had a change of trainers half way through Pt 2 (the original one moved back to Scotland) both were very fair although my second trainer was (I felt) far more foreboding shall we say.   He was a hard taskmaster but he never made me lose my confidence.

I took many additional lessons as I'd passed my test originally in 1976 and had been taught many things differently.  Also habits (self learned) of many years were hard to break!  I'm sure he must have pulled (what he had) of his hair out over me at times and wondered (as I did) if I'd ever get there   roll but I did pass my part 2 first time with 3 minors.

What Badger says (re roundabouts/gears) was how I was taught too.   I was taught to change up through gears ASAP.  And, if I can get into 4th at 30 mph I will.  I did not have any gear faults on my Part 2!  If confused or you don't understand get your trainer to explain why.  After all you need to know so you can eventually teach it and explain to your pupils.

For your part 2 the exaiminer will be looking for a professional drive NOT an "L" test standard.  As you know, you have got to drive for an hour (incl. motorway); perform all your manoeuvres incurring 6 or less minors. 

I trained with BSM.  My trainers worked through a training manual and both of them made notes for me and gave me homework on what to work on between lessons.   Lots of private practice and going out with a 'buddy'.  I even had a post it note on my steering wheel that said "MSM" "Don't X hands". 

You are paying a lot of money for this training.  Make sure you get the correct training.

Like Igar says, I do have a laugh and joke too with my pupils and the occasional sarcastic comment WHEN I get to know them and WHEN I know they can take it.  (Some would be mortified if I was though so I make sure I know them well enough first and this would be well down the line when I (and they) know they can do better!) 

You can get lots of good advice on here so don't be afraid to ask and you won't get shouted at!  Most importantly though you need to be happy with your trainer.

Good luck

Lynne

#5 26-08-04 16:06:53

Johnny

Hi Guys,
  Thanks for your replies,  I thought it was just me being wet and pathetic.

I didn't think that demoralising the pupil and the ten best ways to be verbally aggressive were topics covered when training to become an ADi! Obviously my instructor went to a different school. lol 

We did have an assessment drive and feedback at the end as Badger rightly said, it was the bit in the middle which proved to be the problem. He ranted and raved about elements of my driving which were not technically correct. Not dangerous just wrong, and backed this up with no explanation, "just wrong". Why he couldn't have gone through all this afterwards during the feedback I don't know.

Like Lynne said I was nervous anyway, first lesson, not knowing what to expect or what was expected of me. The fact he was so hostile only made matters worse and quite frankly dangerous. Yes I except I have developed shall we say 'alternative habits' to what I was taught, but that is surely natural development. You cannot stay driving in the same manner as you did when you took your 'L' test especially if you do a lot of driving, it's called experience. I am expecting it to be an up hill struggle and swear at myself often when driving if I fall back into a habit I'm trying to break. Practice will sought that out, may it will take a lot of practice but hey I've got time! I left the lesson feeling very low, and my confidence gone. No suggestion that I'd ever get there over time or any form of encouragement. What he has done though is show me how not to teach my future pupils and how important it is to boost their confidence however slightly. big_smile

I think jgarbutt was right, I may seek alternative training. At the very least I intend to have a few sessions with a school not far from me just to weigh up their response and comments. If I prefer their attitude and approach then that is where my money will go.

Thanks again guys,
Johnny

#6 29-08-04 10:42:12

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

The instructor shouting at you is bad enough, but not explaining the reasons for his criticisms is every bit as bad - hope you've changed to another instructor by now!
Zipper

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#7 29-08-04 16:17:42

crazymaddriver

Hi Johnny

find your self another trainer if you can he's bang out of order talking to you like that.  I'm training for my part three so have done part 2.  I had bad habbits like crossing my arms - Incorrect gear changing - not checking my mirrors before indicating + many more and like you i was a good driver,  never had an accident in 12 years of driving. it was hard to change but it can be done with practise and before you know it you have a whole load of ''good'' habbits and as time goes by the ''good'' habits become second nature you don't even think about it.

I passed my part two with only 3 minors if i can do it any body can !!!!!!

good luck with your training

Board footer