05-04-04 18:47:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Institute of Advanced Motorists

#2 05-04-04 22:46:42

gizmotime

Hi Liesa  smile

I am an Observer for the Institute of Advanced Motorists, I have been for 2 years now I really enjoy it.
What you actually do is,Obviously you have to do the training which involves, The THEORY you have to know your Highway Code inside out and back to front,then right way round again smile Then you have to do the drives again to ensure that you are still driving up to standard,ie IAM test standard or above. This all takes approx 3 months,then you have 4 weeks with a Senior Observer sat in the back while you are with an associate in the front.
When you have done that and Passed you are then a qualified Observer.
It is a lot of hard work but well worth it in the end,I get a great deal of satisfaction knowing that I am helping to try and keep our roads safer,and put better drivers on them.(the road that is). smile  wink
I hope I have answerd your question to satisfaction.
If you need anymore information please feel free to ask. smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 05-04-04 22:56:17

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I am not a observer but i am involved with the IAM group of Bolton.

Every Sunday IAM Observers turn up at 9.45am to give there free time with others who want to pass there advanced driving test.

Each driver has there own observer and go out on the road for about 2 hours. They have a training programme to follow covering

1, The System Of Car Control
2, Observation And Steering
3, Progress, Corners And Bends
4, Motorways, Commentry And Manoeuvres
5, Demonstration Drive
6/7, Full Observed Drive
8, Assessment Drive
9, Onwards = Full Observed Drive

And meetings like 'meet the examiner night'

A job well done by those all who give up there free time

#4 06-04-04 08:55:36

Gizmotime
Administrator

Approved Instructor
Thanks for that,I didn't know if that was the type of thing that needed to be put down as well,I was just putting the type of Training that I had to do to becaome an Observer. :oops:
We at the Bolton group do have a good Pass Rate, You know the sort of Fun we have as well, smile
It's not all You will do this and you will do that sort of thing. We have a fair bit of Banter that goes on as well. smile  smile

With your list you forgot to put on our Social evenings where we have speakers from everywhere talking to us.
We have the Greater Manchester Poilce came now and again to speak with us about Safety on the roads ect ect.

It's great fun,I would not swop it for the world,ALL our Observers are fun loving safety concious people.  smile

I would recommmend it to anyone. smile

#5 06-04-04 18:07:16

Liesa

Thanks for that!

Gizmotime the more info the better, don't worry about waffling on! wink

#6 06-04-04 19:33:29

Gizmotime
Administrator

Liesa

I wouldn't say that to me,I get verbal whatsit when I start talking about the Advanced driving :oops:
Any other info you need please just shout out wink

Regards
Giz

#7 11-04-04 17:11:10

Gizmotime
Administrator

Well our Group has been going for 34 years now so we must be doing something right smile

We have on average 75 every year who Take and PASS the Advanced driving test.

We can accommodate 30/35 new Associates every 3 months,who wish to do the course.

We also publish a Monthly Newsletter,this is very informative.

We have at the Moment 55 qualified Observer's,we also have 90 Observer's who have done the Diploma Test and Passed. I don't know if Every group does this,or weather it is just something our group does.

We hold on the First Tuesday of every month a Social evening,this is usually well attended by everyone.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards
Giz

#8 22-04-04 19:28:05

VandADI
Administrator

How different is the IAM test as opposted to the DSA part 2 test?
Would an ADI having been trained to part 2  DSA standard have to change their style of driving to adapt?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 22-04-04 20:02:48

Gizmotime
Administrator

VandADI wrote:

How different is the IAM test as opposed to the DSA part 2 test?
Would an ADI having been trained to part 2  DSA standard have to change their style of driving to adapt?

Hiya Vanda
The IAM does have a slightly different way of doing things to the DSA.
The best person to explain that to you is Approved Instructor,as he is doing the course,unfortunately because I am NOT and ADI (at the moment) I wouldn't like to comment and give incorrect information out,I hope you understand :oops:

Regards Giz

#10 29-08-04 13:10:08

VandADI
Administrator

Our local IAM group hold observed runs the last Sunday of every month so it has taken me five months to have five hours of observation of my driving.  Today I had a Pre-test observed run and was told that I was above the standard that was required and recommend that I put in for test straight away.  Form has now been sent off, so watch this space!!!
VandADI

#11 29-08-04 14:19:33

Gizmotime
Administrator

Vanda
Oh what it must be like to only Observe once a month,I do it EVERY Sunday morning and during the week as well,NO holidays or days off for me :cry:  If you had been in our group you would have had 10 hours as we offer guidance for two hours at a time.

I wish you all the best with it you will NOT have any trouble at all. I'm really pleased for you Vanda big_smile

Best wishes
Gizmotime

#12 29-08-04 14:32:28

VandADI
Administrator

Thanks Gizmo   :oops:
So, from what you say, the frequency and duration of observed runs varies from area to area. One hour a month is all I get!!  There must be a lot of advanced motorists in the Bolton area I guess!
VandADI

#13 29-08-04 16:16:49

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hiya Vanda
Yes I think it does depend on the area, we have a total of 30 associates every course which is every three months, big_smile And it still only costs you £85 the same as you are paying wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 30-10-04 22:16:53

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

VandADI wrote:

How different is the IAM test as opposted to the DSA part 2 test?

The DSA part 2 test is tougher to pass.

Yes i have found Ive had to slightly change my style of driving IE; Not changing gear and braking at the same time.

#15 31-10-04 07:00:19

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

Approved Instructor wrote:

Not changing gear and braking at the same time.

What is the reason for this? I can understand this as a good rule when braking hard for whatever reason (keeping hands on the wheel), but if you were braking gently (for example to enter a lower speed limit), I cannot see any harm in overlapping the gear change with the end of the braking.  :?:

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#16 01-11-04 19:10:07

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Neither can i, so i asked the chap who took me out from the IAM, He said; its not the way a advanced driver slows down, Changing gear while braking should be avoided because you reduce the control of the car, so the gearchange should be made after the braking.

It was hard to remember at first and i found i had to sow down a lot more because of the car rolling on when you come off the brake.

It also states in the IAM advanced drivers manual;

What the examiner looks for * A lower gear is selected after braking is completed.

#17 02-11-04 16:17:09

kevdyas
Verified Member
Website

We was told brakes are for slowing gears are for going and that brake pads are cheaper than gear boxes when it comes to slowing down which also falls in line with block gear changing.

Regards
Kevin

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Drive iQ Pro Coach
IAM Senior Observer/DIAmond Advanced Motorist/RoSPA - Gold
www.wheelsbydrivingschool.com

#18 03-11-04 06:45:53

Gizmotime
Administrator

This is also how it's done by the Police, Cmplete the braking then select a lower gear, If you can get hold of the Roadcraft Video then do so you will then see how and why it's done.

Board footer