You are not logged in.

#1 17-08-04 20:40:26

alys
Website

Clutch control

Hi, its me again with another post about Hubby!!

When he starts the engine he has his foot on the clutch.  I have asked him not to do this and his response is, "Why?".  All I can come back with is that is just not the way to do it, which, of course, isn't good enough for him so he keeps on doing it.

He has mentioned that it stops the problem of the car lurching forward if it has been left in gear - so much for good cockpit checks.

Can anyone come up with any suggestions here - I am sure that his technique is not acceptable!

Alys :?

Alys smile

17-08-04 20:40:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Clutch control

#2 17-08-04 20:50:15

Unplugged

Good Point ive always started the car with my foot on the clutch and the car out of gear :?

Never known of this beeing seen as improper ive always seen it as safer the first thing you have to do is move the clutch in to select first anyway. Would be good to know why this is considered as "Bad" because as far as im aware I dont know anyone who does it the aformentioned way because of aformentioned reason lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 17-08-04 20:56:44

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Starting the car with the clutch depressed is in fact good practice. Many manufacturers actually recommend it in their handbooks.

It guards against false starts and also helps to take the load off the engine.

When taking some 'roadcraft' style tests such as RoSPA, or a police test you will be expected to start with the clutch depressed and to explain the reasons why as part of your pre-start check commentary. 

When instructing at this level, or on fleet courses, I would always encourage people to start in this way.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#4 17-08-04 21:17:38

jonks

I too have always started my car with my foot on the clutch.

But then I drive with my foot resting on the clutch, so who am i to comment

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 17-08-04 21:32:21

Unplugged

jonks wrote:

I too have always started my car with my foot on the clutch.

But then I drive with my foot resting on the clutch, so who am i to comment

Me Too tongue A habit ive had since I sfiorst started driving only time my foot fully leaves the clutch is when im crusing :? and even then I tend to leave it there.

#6 17-08-04 21:59:55

Badger

Starting the car with the clutch on the floor is neither here nor there.

The important thing is handbrake applied and neutral selected.

If you leave the clutch up then the starter motor is turning half the gearbox as well and in cold weather with sluggish hypoid oil in  the gears it will put extra strain on an older battery that it doesnt need.

It could make the difference between the car starting in the office car park or not at the end of a winters weekday.

It is important not to rest the foot on the clutch when you are not using it because it puts unnecessary wear on the clutch thrust bearing and eventually it will start making that screaming noise that one hears so often.

If you need to rest your left foot buy a car like a Vauxhall that has foot rest next to the pedal and use that instead.

Badger

#7 18-08-04 05:09:37

alys
Website

Thanks everyone - I stand well and truly corrected!

Alys  :oops:

Alys smile

#8 18-08-04 06:48:41

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I quite often find myself, that i put foot on clutch, again as habit, and i think its just to make doubly sure that car is SAFE!

#9 18-08-04 08:46:10

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

If you stall at a junction is it OK to leave the car in 1st, clutch down to the floor, and start the car again? Or do you hold the traffic up behind while you select neutral start the car and reselect 1st gear?

Regards, John.  wink

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

#10 19-08-04 07:01:58

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I was always told in my training, that the car HAS to be made safe!  Handbrke & Neutral

#11 19-08-04 08:30:59

Badger

The main object is to get moving again as quickly as possible without panicking.

Depending upon the cause of the stall.

Car in correct gear not rolling backwards  -   clutch down, restart and move off.

Car in correct gear rolling backwards - footbrake, handbrake, clutch down restart move off.

Car in wrong gear, as above but add selection of correct gear, after clutch down.

What is the point of selecting neutral ?

Fiddling about after a stall just increases your chances of being shunted.

Badger

#12 19-08-04 09:06:32

paul1

I have to agree with Badger - whats the point putting back in neutral? Having the clutch down should be sufficient.

Paul.

#13 19-08-04 18:03:26

Tablespider

Thanks for the enlightended responses to this, they make sense.  Is this the DSA solution though?

#14 19-08-04 19:46:41

bigred
Verified Member
Website

The DSA seem to find this to be fine providing you stick to Badgers bit of logic, but getting your pupils to understand quickly why they stalled often takes longer than doing handbrake, neutral.

I often tell them or help them at this point and find somewhere mor appropriate to discuss the matter.

I for one have had a few shunts due to slow pullaways and I don't want anymore.

Regards,

#15 19-08-04 22:35:50

Badger

"".........but getting your pupils to understand quickly why they stalled often takes longer than doing handbrake, neutral. ""

They should certaimly be up to it by the time they take  the test

Badger

#16 29-08-04 10:32:56

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

We are required to teach clutch-in starts in our log-book system although the book doesn't state why.
I agree with DSE & Badger, my reasons (which I tell the student) are:

1) guards against false starts, especially for our "bushie" drivers who tend to drive ancient vehicles where nuetral is difficult to find.

2) takes a load off the starter motor/battery, even in cold weather ("cold" in Darwin means not needing the bedroom aircon running).

3) some manufacturers recommend it and manual Hyundais, here at least, actually have a lock-out switch fitted to the clutch pedal which disables the starter motor unless the pedal is pressed.

Zipper

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Board footer