You are not logged in.

#1 26-01-06 22:08:36

bev

dip di

:evil:    Thinking of doing the dip di exams how much studying is involved for each module. Perhaps I best just do 1 module a si have left it late.....

26-01-06 22:08:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: dip di

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 29-01-06 09:56:55

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Hi

It is getting a bit late for this year, however you might get a module or 2 done.

You need to start by Contacting  Colin OConnell at the DIA on 08453455151

The 5 modules of the Diploma closely match the 5 areas that have been identified by the DSA as areas for CPD (what a surprise) so you will be ahead of the pack.

I would look at doing the Motor car mechanical principles first and perhaps Business practices, workbooks all avaliable from the DIA or I do know someone who has all 6 books an new condition for 1/2 price all ready to go an if you want I will put you in touch with him.

There are one or two corrospondence courses and Colin may give you a "hint" if not I may.

Best wishes

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#3 29-01-06 11:25:19

Graham

Hi Marconi1

Did I hear that the format is changing soon?

Will these books still be valid?

If they are current and Bev dosen't want them, maybe you could let me know.

Thanks........

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 29-01-06 11:57:06

DAVE-ADI

The 5 modules of the Diploma closely match the 5 areas that have been identified by the DSA as areas for CPD (what a surprise) so you will be ahead of the pack.

Be careful not to be conned regarding CPD.
Nothing has yet been decided  with regards content, and there is a lot more discussing to be done.
What DSA want in CPD, and what the ADI associations want, is almost certainly miles apart.

And  compulsory CPD is still a long way off, possibly 4 years, by which time any qualifications gained now may not count.

#5 29-01-06 19:22:05

Mr..B
Verified Member

i thought about it,but until cpd is sorted,i think i will wait....

#6 29-01-06 20:02:04

Badger

I have a cynical view of the DipDI.

In no way do I wish to diminish the achievements of those who have earned the DIA DipDI but I qeustion the relevance of an Instructional Diploma that has no module of tested instruction. 

It is a diploma in driving instructional theory only.

The RoSPA diploma is more relevant in my opinion as it is largely practical and has to be revalidated regularly.

Unfortunateloy RoSPA dont make as much fuss about it as the DIA

badger

#7 29-01-06 20:12:58

Airmiles

Bev and Mr B,

If you wait until DSA get's it's act together you will lose out over the next few years by not taking the DIA Diploma..
Having it on your CV will enable you to charge higher lesson fees, and thus enjoy a better standard of living.
Passing all 5 papers this coming May should enable you to put your fees up by at least a couple of quid.
Do you really want to pass up that opportunity ???

Claims that 'any qualifications gained now may not count' is economical with the truth, and that's a fact.

It may only be a theoretical exam, but if you have got it you will soon learn how to make good use of the new found knowledge in your practical work.

Slightly edited by jonks - Tidying thread.

#8 29-01-06 21:09:49

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

The point of Continued Professional Development is just that. CONTINUED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPEMENT. I am continually developing my career now, Just because it may be made compulsory just means that instead of doing it voluntary I will have to do it. Nothing new for me.
This year I am looking at the city and guilds classroom certificate the following year maybe my degree. It continues. I mix the theoretical with practical, I will also do the DIAmond special test this year.

Unfortunately many will look at this and say whats the point? And unless you actually experience what this development gives you you wont appreciate it.

My business plan each year includes what CPD I will do this year and where I want to be next Xmas. I far exceeded last years plan.

Who else have a plan or vision for each year? Any one heard of "Hotel days"?

What ever the DSA finally arrive at for cpd they are hardly likely to ignore the expensive work done for them by Red etc who's reccommendations do follow the route close to the DIA Diploma.

When I started the diploma cpd was an idea and was not my aim. Now heres a thought. Who is going to be teaching CPD? I bet Airmiles has an idea!

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 29-01-06 21:49:01

DAVE-ADI

His claim that 'any qualifications gained now may not count' is economical with the truth, and that's a fact.

What is fact is that I attended both the ADI groups meeting and the DSA CPD meeting this month, and I therefore not only know what was discussed first hand, but I also took part in those discussions.

So it's with absolute certainty that I can tell you with regards the matter of qualifications, it was agreed by all those at the ADI groups meeting that most qualifications would have to have a shelf life in counting towards CPD.   

If airmiles had bothered to read my post properly he would have noticed that I used the words MAY not count, and I wrote that because nothing has yet been decided.

Who is going to be teaching CPD?

The answer to that: Any person or organisation who can fullfil the required criteria for accreditation, which has also yet to be discussed and decided.

#10 29-01-06 21:59:56

Badger

OK Airmiles.

The RoSPA diploma got me onto the Fleet Training Register where I earn a bit here and there.

The DipDI would not have been much help in that direction.

As far as I am aware CPD is as yet undeveloped by the DSA and I dont see that changing for some time yet.

Have you been invited to the pilot of Ms Thews customer development meetings?

Badger

#11 29-01-06 23:27:39

posh
Verified Member

sorry for being thick but what is the dip di?

#12 30-01-06 00:12:32

luchell

Diploma in Driving Instruction wink

#13 30-01-06 00:22:17

posh
Verified Member

a bit too far advanced for me yet still only on part three training  but thanks for taking the time to answer

#14 30-01-06 08:21:28

Trumper
Verified Member

Depends what way you see your career as a A.D.I going? Surely having Dip DI on a c.v. when moving onto instructor training could only help. I know the police are looking to take on A.D.I's . So who are they more likely to employ, someone with a Dip or not?

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

#15 30-01-06 11:58:25

bigears

Re: Dip Di, I think any addition to one's CV can only benefit the individuals business.As for charging higher prices i don't think it always works.We have a very nice fellow here working locally and he holds the Dip Di but he charges £2 less than other Adi's without the Diploma.I think the point I'm getting at the public generally don't have a clue what Dip Di, grade 6 or generally any other qualification we have is.We all know most people ringing  you to inquire about your lessons seem to ask THEIR most important question first 'How Much'? But that's the general public for you.

Two things are Infinite:The Universe and Human Stupidity;and I'm not sure about the Universe.

#16 30-01-06 12:02:27

DAVE-ADI

The newbies on here shouldn't be fooled into believing that extra qualifications is going to produce a pot of gold.
You are entering a very cometative market, where the majority of punters are far more concerned with how much it's going to cost them than what qualifications you hold.

In the main, you will set your prices to what the local market can stand, and will roughly be on a par with what the local competition charges.

#17 30-01-06 12:03:36

DAVE-ADI

Sorry, I've just said similar to what big ears posted.  Didn't read it first! neutral

#18 30-01-06 12:10:28

luchell

Personally i would like to do the Dip DI purely because that's me for you. I love to study and in doing so feel more informed which to me means i can give a better service to my pupils through my knowledge.

I'm going to do it next year once it's changed i think. I enjoy a challenge and enjoy doing different courses and things to fill my mind with more knowledge.

#19 30-01-06 12:38:51

Badger

I think  before you do anything that claims to be  "CPD"  related that you must ask yourself what benefits you personally are going to get out of it.

Is it going to enable you to widen your scope - take on another line of operation.

Do you need refresher training, assessment etc (Who doesnt?).

The DipDI is a very useful course of study and it contains much of what should be known generally by ADIs almost from the start of their work and I believe that Ordit trainers should include the contents of the 5 modules in their courses for new ADIs.

Maybe qualification to be an ADI will consist of all that in the  future thus getting nearer the Scandinavian idea of degrees for ADI

Who knows

Badger

#20 30-01-06 18:09:18

Airmiles

Anyone new to the profession should ask themselves where they intend / would like to be, in 18 months or 2 years time...

Extra qualifications, like Dip should show you how to identify those customers in the overall market place who are prepared to pay more for what they percieve to be 'something extra' for the premium rate you would be charging..

Get's you away from the run of the mill customers who are solely intent on buying the cheapest services.

You and your competitors are in a 'competition'... In golfing parlance, do you want to stay on par for the course, or do you wish to score birdies and eagles ? Scorers with lots and lots of birdies and eagles win 99% of competitions, and take home larger pay cheques, which is why they compete in the first place  big_smile

#21 30-01-06 18:15:19

sparkle

Airmiles, could you spare a thought for the mere femles amongst us... can you talk in shoes & clothes shops please... are you saying its good to aim for Gucci and not so good to keep at Barrats..is this what your saying? lol

#22 30-01-06 18:39:48

Graham

As a matter of interest, as a direct result of getting a Diploma, how many people here increased their prices and how many didn't?

#23 30-01-06 18:52:51

Badger

Airmiles !

I asked you a question.

Would be good enough to answer it please.

Badger

#24 30-01-06 21:08:34

Nanti Carnish

Extra qualifications, like Dip should show you how to identify those customers in the overall market place who are prepared to pay more for what they percieve to be 'something extra'

In my experience pupils don't know the difference between ADI and PDI so having Dip DI will be meaningless to them.

#25 30-01-06 21:11:26

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

I can not say I have increase my prices of the L driver market because I am still with the AA for reasons I wont go into yet. But I have iproved my lot imensly since doing it. I know do corporate work, instructor training but most of all offer brilliant value for money. THings have moved fast for me since and I am in a strange position with a few offers that I will say when the time is right. Suffice to say I don't regret it not at all in fact it was the best thing I ever did and am now seeking the next challenge. IF I were independant now. Yes I would charge top rate and I would get it. I work all pupils from recommends not from the AA and if they ask the price it only to know how much to bring with them.Honest

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI

Board footer