You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 19-11-05 13:58:12

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Re: PDI to ADI, my Story

Thanks Mark.

Its Saturday now and Im not long back home from my 2nd actual lesson.
The girl on Thursday was a bit nervous about stallng my car loads and making a fool of herself,,but she didnt do either.
She stalled once on the move off and a couple of times after stopping, when she was so excited that she lifted off her feet before the handbrake was on and gear was in neutral.
After a while she was doing it good every time and decided to let her drive around the block in a housing estate.
Both of us felt great about our performances, though Im begining to realise there is a real difference between an actual lesson and the part 3 exam.

Today was the same lesson, this girl even more nervous, and took a while to get her moving off smoothly...she would launch herself very fast and then panic.

Stopping for her was her weakness today, getting a guide to help her on the wiper arm helped her a lot, and after a scuffed wheel trim I managed to get her to pull in on the left as perfect asI could have done it myself!

I can tell already that Im going to love this job, and cant wait till monday to take 1st girl out again, hopefully getting her steering sorted out on some left turns.

big_smile

19-11-05 13:58:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 17-12-05 17:36:07

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Here I am again a month on from I started taking my pupils out on the road.

Today I asked one of my girls to pull into a laybay with a parked car in it.
I quickly knew that Id asked her to do something she would find hard...turn in sharply and stop before getting too close to the car.

Before i could react, my nearside front wheel had thumped the kerb blowing out the tyre, but I hadnt realised at this stage it was blown out.

I then got her to move off and take the next left which took us out a country road leading to the main road.

I pulled her in before the T-Junction cos this was gonna be her 1st one, and it was a right turn on a hill start. Challenge or what..

The emerge was perfect big_smile and was very impressed. But couldnt figure why, all of a sudden , she had lost the ability to hold her road position.

Then I heard it....the rumbling...it was because we were now on a good road surface, and there was a lot of road noise before.

I pulle her in again and she managed to stop within 6 inches of the kerb..I got out to look and my tyre was knackered!!

So there we were. On a roadside changing a wheel at the end of the lesson...

All in all I seen it as a milestone lesson. We did a lot of things which were unplanned and we both conquered them.
I hadnt intended to take her out onto the main busy roads until I had done some quiet T-Junctions and right turns.

This is fun at its most fun!!!

#28 04-01-06 17:48:10

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Im getting anxious now! 

It all started when on my way to work at around 4am just the week before christmas...(Im a baker at the minute)

I fell asleep at the wheel of my car and crashed into a kerb at the entrance to the cinema of the town where I work, when the impact woke me I was heading straight for a wooden 12ft high advertising stand, I managed to swerve to avoid it, leaving tyre marks on the grass to show how quick my reaction was!

My driver side front wheel was dinged in 2 places and un fixable.  I had caught the wooden plank that supported the sign and it smashed the splash guard and did a bit of bumper damage.

The thing was that I was only 300yards from my work when this happened, and had felt no sign of tiredness the rest of the 16 mile journey.

A similar thing happened about 2 years ago, which was the very thing which helped me decide to quit my job and start this training.

So I've got to march on this trainee licence, and am bursting to get out of this job.

I feel like my job is hindering my training...Ive only managed 34 hours training since 11th Jan 05, when i passed part 2!!!

Ive only got until July this year to get through this, and Im really tempted about going full time to get some badly needed practice.

I just dont know what to do right now, I cant stick this job  much longer and need the money.

My sponsor cant supply me with pupils as he is semi-retired himself and only teaches in the evenings.  I dont know if Im allowed to switch sponsors mid term on my trainee licence, to the driving school my trainer works for, who would charge me £80 per week for supply of pupils, since I have my own car.

This is me at my most frustrated and confused.

#29 04-01-06 18:59:13

luchell

Thats not good news. You need to go to your gp as there are some conditions which can cause you to literally go to sleep out of no where!! In other words no feelings of tiredness etc. How many hours are you doing driving wise and baking?

Youre clearly trying to do too much and it was lucky you didnt kill anyone. I dont mean to make you feel worse but clearly something not right. Are you burning the candle at both ends? You do not need a pink to pass part three and the feeling of desperation to get out of your job is obviously not making things any better. As far as i am aware it would be diffucult but not impossible to swap sponsors.

It sounds like theres no time to work on your pink not if its contributing towards you falling asleep at the wheel!!

Increasing your hours on your pink is not going to help if it means youre doing more or even trying to earn more so you can work less at your other job. Im afraid you have to focus on part three and until thats passed your trapped which is obviously what is making you feel frustrated.

Honestly though you MUST  get checked out at your gps its worrying and very frightening that youve fallen asleep at the wheel if theres no explanation for it. if you're burning the candle at both ends its bound to happen at some stage, if thats the case you're going to have to drop back with your hours.

Remember the key thing here your pink is not for earning money on!

#30 04-01-06 19:56:33

hayzy
Verified Member
Website

By the end of my part 3 training my instructor could tell quite easily if i had been working the previous day,it makes a huge difference to my state of mind if i have done a 12hr shift and every time we came to something i went blank on sure enough i had been working previous day or night.  Might not affect others as much but sure as hell knocked me for 6. I know how hard it can be.

oh dear

#31 27-01-06 19:09:52

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I think it is high time I updated this. I enjoy referring back to this, to recall my feelings throughout this journey.

Since my last post, my situation hasn't really changed much, except that I got 3 training sessions for a christmas present, which meant that I've been able to have weekly lessons, instead of fortnightly.

My trainer advised me just to stick out at my job, so I totally trust his advice.  What I have changed is my sleep in the afternoon times, I now get a good 3-4 hours most weekday afternoons.

My training has been a lot better lately and am finally getting to grips with the whole analyse, remedy thing.

My pupils are really starting to progress now. (It seems that if I have a bad day, then they do too)
I think my 3 pupils a week is enough for me right now..2 are partially trained and 1 is trained totally by me, and im really pleased how ive been doing so far.

It seemed like I was never going to get her out of Left/rights and T-Junctions, but on the last lesson I changed the scenery a bit and got her out on main roads, dealt with a roundabout and even a couple of pelican crossings.

Tomorrow, I hope to take her to lots of crossroads and onto a dual-carriageway. 

The waiting time for part 3 tests at the minute is around 9 weeks, so Im filling in my application today, sending off £138 and aiming for that 1st time pass.

My trainer is probably the best in N.Ireland and has a pass rate of 50%-60% 1st time passes.

I dug out my hazard perception discs yesterday and actually failed - 52% miserable. Just shows that although Ive come to the final hurdle, I have to keep my theory and driving in check regularly.

Thanks for reading.
Jonny

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#32 27-01-06 19:13:40

Lisajb21

JonnyG wrote:

The waiting time for part 3 tests at the minute is around 9 weeks, so Im filling in my application today, sending off £138 and aiming for that 1st time pass.

Wow..part 3 is expensive in Ireland Jonny....£79 over here

#33 27-01-06 19:14:13

Lisajb21

Dam...still not got the hang of this quote thing  :x

#34 27-01-06 19:26:52

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Yeah they really like squuzing cash out of us over here.

#35 30-01-06 19:17:32

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Well. Ive my application form sent away...Feeling the nerves already.  Most likely to get a date around April time.

This leaves me with a dilemma - My pink expires in March.

Im gonna have to wait till I take my 1st attempt to see if I need to take my 2nd trainee licence, which will only be for a maximum of 4 months, because my time is up on 27th July.

Good news is that I have another pupil and am now doing 3 hours a week on my pink, which I think is quite enough considering Im still working full time and  getting up at 4am every day.

I took out my latest pupil today for the first time, she has apparantly had dozens of lessons but has been let down by several instructors and a friend recommended me. 

Looks like there is a bit of work to do with her..Not even checking mirrors when approaching anything, sometimes forgetting to signal!

She needs to make more progress and I must have tried to get her to get up to speed limit 10 times, encouraging her to use 5th gear, but still seemed to want to sit at 35-40 mph. Then when she enters 30mph limit, slows to 30mph and speeds up again to 35mph.

Amazingly she seemed more interested in the houses she was passing, and the "cute wee lambs" in the fields, than the road ahead, and I had to touch the wheel to avoid the kerb.

I guess Im seeing the effect of dodgy training, or no co-operation from her.

Looks like I gotta go over MSM , did I mention coasting??

Pray for me.

#36 30-01-06 20:57:38

bigears

Hi JonnyG, I think the comments about dodgy training may be a little misleading.You make a comment about your new charge admiring 'Nice Houses and  Cute Wee Lambs',when out on a lesson.Not paying attention to the speed limits not checking mirrors rarely signalling.To me that seems a total lack of concentration, she seems more interested on what's  going on around  her than the task in hand. JonnyG, Good Luck! You have Your Hands Full. big_smile

Two things are Infinite:The Universe and Human Stupidity;and I'm not sure about the Universe.

#37 30-01-06 21:22:50

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Thanks bigears. on reflection i reckon you are correct in your analysis. I guess i need to make sure she is totally focussed on her driving. I guess i was just amazed at the lack of MSM and i thought that it was her previous instructors, I did ask her about MSM at the end of the lesson and she was aware that she wasn't using it properly.    This particular pupil is going to be a great help to me passing my part3.   

#38 31-01-06 09:40:21

1stdrive

Hi mate glad its all going well, sounds like your getting quite a range of pupils of different abilities which will be excellent experience for your p3. Remember though everybody is different you will have people that pick it up straight away and you have minimum effort, but then others that just cannot get it despite your best efforts. You can only teach as fast as they can learn and everybody has different learning capabilities. With these you just have to keep on going because they will get there in the end.
You say your 2 years are up, your trainer has probably already told you this but if you apply for a p3 exam before your 2 yrs expire you can actually take it after. I took mine 2 months after my 2 years. Wouldn't advise it because of the added pressure i.e. last chance, but as a last resort you may even get the 3 attempts in if needed (hopefully not though).
It's been great to read your journal, brings back some happy and some not so happy memories of my training. big_smile
GOOD LUCK big_smile

#39 31-01-06 12:14:35

luchell

Why did you mention Msm at the end of the lesson jonny? Did you pull her over and q and a her about msm when you saw there was a weakness? :lol:You will need to have a chat with her about focusing on the task at hand. It is good practise for part three as you could get an Se behaving similarly, he would want you to sort him out by telling him so. lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#40 31-01-06 15:11:55

Moominhater

Dam...still not got the hang of this quote thing  :x

I'm the same, I'm in the box, out of the box, forgotten the box......

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
event.png
[/url]

#41 31-01-06 19:46:06

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Why did you mention Msm at the end of the lesson jonny? Did you pull her over and q and a her about msm when you saw there was a weakness?

I was doing a recap and explaining that the next lesson we would try and get her MSM happening virtually automatic,(well we'll try anyway) and started sooner too. 

Ive been sitting tonight trying to catch up on all my expenditure so far in my training and materials, and keeping a record of it for when I start up properly. 

Ive now done 13 hours on my licence, which is not really a lot considering ive had it since September, but with not having a readily available supply of pupils from my sponsor or trainer, I dont think Ive done too bad.

Im thinking that if I dont get my test 1st time that Ill go full time on my 2nd licence and nail the test 2nd time round.

#42 13-02-06 18:40:28

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Update time....

Ive now done 19 hours teaching and had my sponsor out with me today on a lesson.  He said that I was doing well and gave me a few pointers.
At a roundabout with a slight incline coming on, we were going straight ahead in middle lane, my pupil just couldnt get going, stalled a couple of times and started to roll back, despite me telling her to step on the gas and relax, suddenly the driver door opens and woman from car behind is staring straight at me telling me to be careful, because we rolled back, saying this while my foot was firmly on the dual brake!
...btw she left her car door open...need i say more!!

Why she didnt leave a bigger gap Im not sure, its not like she couldnt see the L-Plates!

Im really struggling to get her to look to the right on approach to T-J and Roundabouts. She has her eyes fixed on the give way line, I must have asked where we were supposed to be looking 6 times, but the line must have hypnotised her!

I also got a date for my 1st attempt at part3...May 4th...
My licence expires in March and my deadline date is 27th July, so Its kin of a diffucult one to call...do I fork out another £120 for 2nd licence and end up passing in May, or wait to see if I pass, then take a 2 month licence and waste 4 months..

I hope I can get a chance to be able to have 3 attempts if i need them, but with a waiting list of 12 weeks looks unlikely.

#43 17-03-06 18:34:10

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

another month gone by like a flash, and my test date is looming closer and closer.
Im starting to get really busy now...im doing 10 lessons a week now, with 9 pupils and still working full time.

I am really feeling the benefit now of having the trainee licence and am only starting to really understand how my life will be as a driving instructor, and lovin it!

I had a session with my trainer today and I have to admit that lately those sessions have been total rubbish.  I end up feeling totally exhausted and unprepared for them. I totally forgot my emergency stop briefing.

Im feeling like im only half ready for my test but have 7 weeks to be ready...I know what I need to do and how to do it, I just am kinda brain dead right now.

On a positive note though, I had a dream on wednesday night that I was on my part3 exam phase1 , and all I know is that i could see the female SE as one of my own pupils and was having a good lesson on T-Junctions..

If I turn up to the centre and my SE is female and have pst8 then I'll be confident I'll pass!

#44 18-03-06 00:37:40

luchell

Youre not going to like what im going to say im afraid BUT i will say it. You are doing FAR too much. You say yourself you forgot your emergency stop briefing youre exhausted etc. You wont get through part three like that sadly. With a full time job and 9 pupils that is just too much to cope with add on travelling time and any admin work and thats a hell of a lot of hours. Thats presuming your 9 pupils only have 1 hour each?

you are bound to burn out at some time. You need energy at this time for your studies at part three. You say your sessions are rubbish. Is that due to the way you are?

Im sorry to say this but if you dont get that green licence im sure you will be gutted as it seems you like life as an instructor. Nothing is safe until you are green so dont count your chickens. PLEASE take some time out also please do not take this to heart but huge alarm bells started ringing when i read this. Maybe its just me :cry:

#45 18-03-06 00:50:49

Andi

Gosh  yikes

I have to agree with Luchell, it any wonder you are feeling mentally drained...i would be absolutely exhausted! yikes yikes

Take some time out for yourself...and relax a little. Are you due any holidays from your full time job? If you are, then i would have a little break.... wink

Seriously, you will want to be at your best for the part 3 wont you? :mrgreen:

Andi....

1.gif

#46 18-03-06 12:45:13

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the replies...It was no shock to hear the comments. I knew they would be coming when I posted.

Im takin a week off to spain with my fiancee in april...we both really need it and can hardly wait.

Ive got a tendancy to waste time when I could be studying. I need to give me a good kicking.  Im going to bed at 8pm every night to allow me to do the 2 jobs, and physically Im fine with the work, its just that my training on friday comes round before i know it and havnt properly prepared. I promised my trainer that he would notice a big difference next week and Im going to go now and read my Core competiences book..2 cancellations today so I best make the most of the spare time.

I should probably cancel all my lessons for the week of my part3 on may 4th, to prepare myself mentally.

why am I wasting time on here...wheres that book!!

#47 18-03-06 12:48:45

Andi

Good for you! A holiday will do you the world of good.

Also i think the week off is great, especially  before your part3.....

You never waste time on here though...always something new to learn... wink wink

Andi

1.gif

#48 18-03-06 18:23:46

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

Hi jonny
I always read your diary with interest and admire the hard work you are putting in, however I agree with luchell and andi in that you seem to be doing too much :? the holiday will set you up nicely for part 3 but I would like to suggest you leave the training books at home ( if you were even thinking of taking them) just my opinion - have a complete break and come back refreshed, the books will still be there waiting.

Enjoy
Alex

#49 18-03-06 18:38:17

evan

A word to the wise JonnyG, I can see that you are trying hard, to become an ADI. Focus more on learning and less on teaching at this stage. You have too many irons in too many fires by the sound of things. Instead of trying to take on all the PST's at once. Pick one out, and structure a lesson from beginning to end. When you are happy with it, move onto the next one. You will find that once you have mastered the art of lesson structure all the others will follow.
I have only just read the entry about crashing your car, I can understand how bad you must have felt. But consider this, imagine if you had been with a pupil in a busy road situation and not been on the ball, a pupil with limited experience. the implications of this scenario are horrific. I don't want dampen your enthusiasm, but for goodness sake, if you are going to teach you must make sure that you are not tired, would you want to face the parents of a pupil and tell them ''sorry, you didn't see the truck, bus or car.'' I really hope you do well you are enthusiastic, but please don't jeopardise your future, your safety and the safety of other. Try to structure you week so that if you are teaching, it's at a time when you have had plenty of sleep. Remember a tired mind neither gives the best nor gets the best from any teaching or learning situation. Regards Ev

#50 18-03-06 18:56:43

luchell

Some wise words there Evan. Thing is if you want that Green so badly you have to be careful not to put in jeopardy everything you are working for. I can tell you there have been a few situations where afterwards ive been quite chuffed and said to my pupils " blooming heck im quick" meaning the intervention i took to keep the car and others safe when another idiot has done something and caused havoc. My intervention was there and done in a moment and by saying im quick i had surprised myself how quick i was. If i hadnt been so on the ball well.... Ill leave you to see what im saying.

I wouldnt want to think what may have happened if my mind had been wandering slightly or not 100 percewnt on what i was doing and fully awake. I feel for you as you are so enthusiastic and really trying to do your best. Is there any possibilite of dropping some hours somewhere at all? Something needs to give from how things are  and i dont just think a holiday will put everything right. You've still got a fair few weeks until then and it doesnt sound good to keep going as things are. If we didn't care we wouldnt try to help so please dont take offence to what is being put here.

If your teaching is suffering like you say it is, and going back to that incident with you falling asleep at the wheel it rang alarm bells big time then but it doesnt seem much has changed for you :cry:

Board footer