You are not logged in.

#1 20-08-04 19:13:36

Anonymous

cpd

im re training every day of my life. so u think there r adis who r no good?well if a adi is no good the dsa would get rid of them .who to say thar u r any good or that im any good. u r not in a position to judge and neather im i but ur local se adi is and the publicwill choose the good ones from the bad.cpd will not make a difrence to standards because its not nessary but we r being told that it is by bodies who will gain from the new business it will generate. make driving lessons compulsary and i will gladly go on any training course on offer.life is full of winners and losers .if we want to raise standards why not publish pass rates at test centres and do customer surveys the ones who r no good would be there for all to see .and if they get poor feed back from pupils then get rid after all other poeple are judged on results so why should we be any diffrent?compulsary cpd will become a money making scam.

20-08-04 19:13:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: cpd

#2 20-08-04 20:58:34

paul1

I'm sorry Lee but I'm afraid I find your posts on this forum rather difficult to understand. I don't mean to sound snobby or anything but I find it takes me ages to read it properly. I'm the first to admit that I am not brilliant at spelling and grammar but I do wish you'd type in PLAIN English. Text talk is all very well on a mobile phone but when its on a large screen its not easy to read.

The points you make AGAIN about CPD are interesting but the fact remains that in one way or another we will all have to do it. As has been pointed out, other professions have to do it - I have a friend who is a self-employed gas and heating engineer, every so often he has to go on training courses as part of CPD. Just recently he had to attend a course for a whole week, thats a weeks lost earnings, but because it has to be done to stay CORGI registered he has no choice. He looks at it as way of being able to improve his skills and knowledge, and to stay ahead in whatever profession you need to have your skills updated now and again.

How many times has it been said that a lot of so called experienced drivers out there would undoubtedly fail their test if they took it again and that re-testing of drivers should be done. What is really needed for these drivers is re-education not re-testing. The point I'm trying to make is that we all need to have our knowledge updated from time to time, whether we choose to update that knowledge ourselves or not it should still be updated from time to time. Compulsory CPD is just a way of ensuring that all driving instructors are doing everything they should be doing.

Paul.

#3 20-08-04 21:22:59

DAVE-ADI

The intention of CPD is NOT to generate new business for you.  It is to update you on new training techniques,  changing conditions/rules, new technology etc  all concerned with road safety.

For example,  ABS braking has been introduced in the last few years.  Do  you know what  EBA and ESP is, or ASR traction control?   
If you can't answer that then you are already out of date with your training.

Of course it's going to cost you money.  But if you are as busy as you claim,  you can easily afford it.  Tax deductable of course.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 21-08-04 15:46:36

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

Publishing pass rates is a very hot topic and sure to cause much debate.

Personally, I don't think it would be helpful in anything like it's present form. But if the DSA would send us our test information sheet alongside local and national test information as benchmarks to see how we are doing then we could all concentrate on our individual weaknesses and seek retraining where necessary.

The Check test does not often get rid of bad instructors as many can simply turn on 'routine' when required to do so.

Customer surveys would tend to favour instructors who are 'popular' with their pupils. Unless a pupil changes instructor part way through their training, they often have no real concept of whether they have a good deal or not.

CPD in every industry is abused to some degree and there will be scams! But if it is well setup and regulated you will see a difference emerge over a few years.

So my conclusion is there is no easy way to let the public know who offers excellent value. But a combination of all of the above may be the only way forward.

Regards,

#5 23-08-04 16:10:24

Mike Geary

I agree with you BIG RED.
                But a properly run course,  of around a week, with some kind of exams,  during and at the end. This  could be a better way of up grading / getting people up to date.

Mike G.

Sorry can't put any more just now.... Must Go!...

#6 26-08-04 19:08:24

Anonymous

i agree with whats been said but i can not see that COMPULSARY cpd will make a diffrence because there will always be the ones who abuse the system but we seem to blame each other . we seem to think that we are better than anyone else.so i need to go on a weeks course if i dont no what eba esp or asr mean ?just look in the cars hand book. some times we cant see the wood for the trees know what i mean. sometimes you are only as good as the person you are teaching. lets face it joe public dont give a sh..t as long as they pass their driving test. what happens to the adi who completes all the traing and jumps back into is banger and drives off down rouge st?

#7 26-08-04 19:52:37

DAVE-ADI

sometimes you are only as good as the person you are teaching

No Lee, you need to be BETTER, a lot better, than the person you are teaching.  Otherwise you shouldn't be taking money off them.  As an ADI you are supposed to be an expert who knows what they are talking about.

so i need to go on a weeks course if i dont no what eba esp or asr mean?

Yes, you do.  How can you teach it if you don't know anything about the subject?  And even worse,  how can you call yourself a professional or ask for payment?

#8 26-08-04 21:18:15

Anonymous

what i mean is that some drivers are better than others as u know and i do try to keep up to speed but knowing more than a pupil . well we should know more than a pupil thats why we have a green bage in the car window . you can be a top football coach but that doesnt mean that they can produce top players out of nothing they need ablity.

#9 27-08-04 06:55:23

DAVE-ADI

Lee,

it's very obvious from your messages that you are opposed to CPD, even though there has been no announcements yet as to what form it will take, or what the content will be,.

So what would you prefer as an alternative?

Would you be more happy with having to take requalification exams every 4 years?   Do you like being checktested, where your livelihood rests solely on the decision of one person?   
And how would you make sure you are keeping up to date with the advances in driving?  More importantly, how would your pupils know you are up  to date?

Have you heard about ECO driving, which DSA intends to introduce into the syllabus in the next few years, and which every ADI will have to teach?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 27-08-04 07:33:40

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Lee,

CPD doesn't have to be expensive either! I think that about £500 a year should be more than enough to move each of us forward. That represents about 2% of the average instructors turnover.

If we can't then see a good increase in our hourly rate I'd be most suprised.

As Dave-ADI say's

So what would you prefer as an alternative?

We've been whinging about the check test for years, I don't want to be subject to a test that's more suitable for a dinosaur! We need positive change, NOW.

REgards,

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 27-08-04 08:03:03

Liesa

DAVEADI wrote

Have you heard about ECO driving, which DSA intends to introduce into the syllabus in the next few years, and which every ADI will have to teach?

Hi Dave I think I must be, being a little thick, but what does ECO mean?

I've read this a couple of times now and like to thik I keep upto date but this one has got me stumped  :oops:
:oops:  :oops:  :oops:

#12 27-08-04 08:10:31

DAVE-ADI

#13 27-08-04 08:38:59

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

I guess most people are already doing CDP, anyway, in some form or other.

I think it's better than testing us on questions implemented by DSA. I'd already put some money aside to do further training on my weaker points.
All this business about HPT and MCQ has made me shift my priority in time and money towards that, therefore holding me back from training which would have been more appropriate.

CPD should help us keep a good image with the public, too.

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#14 28-08-04 10:54:29

Liesa

Thanks Dave

Nothing new there then, I've been teaching things that way since I first started 6 years ago big_smile

#15 28-08-04 16:50:07

TDC
Verified Member

ok so a number of you agree with cpd ,compulsory or not.  So why then have you not taken your theory/hpt tests yet???????  is this not one of the first steps of cpd from the DSA?

Im so good its unbelievable

#16 28-08-04 17:29:27

DAVE-ADI

The theory test  for ADIs is not operative yet,   unless DSA has started a secret trial and conned you into taking it already?

CPD is not a test where you can pass or fail.  It is advancing and updating knowledge and skills to the benefit of everyone.

Board footer