You are not logged in.

#1 21-08-04 20:04:57

Liesa

Peugout 307

Does anyone use the Peugout 307 as a training car?

And if so how do you rate it?

I only ask because, earlier this week, I took one of my pupils out in her own car, which happens to be a 307. From the passenger seat I personally, thought that the overall visability was actually fairly good. Even though there are blind spots, I personally didn't think, they were any worse, than the blind spots in my mark 2 Corsa.

I'm not planning on replacing my car just yet but, after the lesson I spent in my puplis car last Tuesday, I'm now giving the 307 some serious consideration.

21-08-04 20:04:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Peugout 307

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 22-08-04 00:09:39

Tony
Verified Member
Website

Hi Liesa,

I am using a 307 1.4 Hdi LX as a training car.

Personally I have yet to find anything wrong with it. It gets me good mpg, around 60 mpg - hardly see the needle go down. The insurance group is 4. Tax is £80 for the year.

The car I got is a late 03 model. Compared to the 97 Fiesta Ghia I used to own, the Peugeot is miles ahead.

One thing I thought about was the size of the car. I compared it to the Fiesta and found that it is very slightly longer. The only way to describe this would be to say, take a kids school ruler, break it in half, put one half and the front and the other at the end of the Fiesta and that is the same length as the 307.

The same goes for the width, this time is only half that broken ruler, mirror edge to mirror edge.

The dual controls I bought myself at £375. Some Peugeot dealers will supply and fit these if the car is brand new from them.

All in all I can't fault my car. I know some earlier models had some teething problems, but I believe they have now sorted them out.

If there is anything else I can help you out with, just PM me.

Tony.

#3 23-08-04 08:59:27

DSE
Verified Member
Website

Hi Liesa

I ran a 307 1.6GLX for 12 months when they first came out. I really liked it and found it an excellent car to drive.  The car wasn't used for teaching learners but it was used for ADI training and there was no problem teaching manoeuvres in it.

The high seating position gave excellent visibility.

The only problem I encountered was with the indicators. They seemed to cancel themselves very quickly after application, any movement of the wheel would cancel them, so for example when turning right you would apply signal then move into position. This movement would usually cancel the signal so it would have to be re-applied.  I think Peugeot recognised this as a design fault and I imagine it has since been rectified.

From my experience I would have no hesitation in recommending the car.

www.d-s-e.co.uk

Driving Standards Agency
Accredited Course provider for
Register of Fleet Driver Trainers

ADI Training & Development
by highly qualified grade 6 ADIs.
See website or email for details of our services.

#4 23-08-04 18:35:58

Liesa

Thanks Guys

Driving Ambition do you have any views on the 307 that you'd like to share with me?

As far as manouvers are concerned, I got my pupil to paralell park at the end of the lesson, and she was able to park with ease in the 307.

I don't plan to change the car untill next year, but I really was impressed with the 307 big_smile  In fact I'm suprised that so few instructors currently use them :shock:

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 24-08-04 03:07:28

Darren

Liesa wrote:

In fact I'm suprised that so few instructors currently use them :shock:

They always seemto have Vauxhall Corsas :cry: (i hate it when on the slip road in one) lol

#6 24-08-04 15:02:12

Russ
Verified Member
Website

hello everone, I have just leased a 206 from robinsons (a 6 month old car) and I have this week had great problems with the indicators espically turning right, like DSE as soon as you move into position the indicators cancel. More worring if you return your lock too quickly the stalk swithches over to the left and swithches on the left indicator.

just before this happened to my vehicle another local instructor had the same problem with a brand new 206 needing a new switch.
Russ

#7 24-08-04 19:24:49

Liesa

Hi Russ

I had a similar problem with my Corsa, I had to have the indicator stem replaced. Since it's was replaced, I've not had any further problems with it, I only wish I could say the same about the rest of the car :cry:

#8 25-08-04 09:59:02

Marcus

I have owned a 2 yr old 307 2.0GLX for 6 months and it is probably the worst car I have had. The only nice thing about is the China Blue colour. It has had lots of warranty done on it but the reason for posting here is that one thing that was replaced was the indicator stalk for the same reasons mentioned here. If I wanted to turn right, I would have to hold the stalk in place because it wouldn't stay in position at all.

It is going back into the dealer tomorrow for yet more work: Driving along with sidelights you then need headlights. Twist the stalk to select and for a second or so, all the electrics in the car go dead... lights go off, all guages and dials go to zero as though you have switched off the engine and then they all come on again. Dangerous on a dark road because for a second, you have no lights at all...   roll

Also because it has 16" alloys and fairly low profile tyres, the ride round town is as hard as nails. I certainly won't be using it for teaching when I pass... it will shake and bump the living daylights out of my poor learners..!

Marcus

#9 25-08-04 11:40:09

Liesa

Hi Marcus

Thanks for the information, much appreciated!

The other problem with low profile tyres is, the fact that they seem to wear out very quickly, has anyone else noticed this?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 25-08-04 18:28:00

Marcus

Liesa wrote:

Hi Marcus

Thanks for the information, much appreciated!

The other problem with low profile tyres is, the fact that they seem to wear out very quickly, has anyone else noticed this?

Another thing with 307s is they are generally heavy on tyres apparently. Mind you, I got over 20,000 out of my last front set and the only reason I had to replace them was because there was a nasty split across the tread of one. Also much of that 20,000 was motorway which is kinder to tyres of course.

Wanted to ask you Liesa, does teaching in a diesel make any difference compared to petrol apart from the pocket of course?  wink  I mean in the sense of throttle response coupled with clutch control? I am thinking probably more in terms of turn in the road and reversing.

Thanks
Marcus

#11 25-08-04 20:33:33

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

Hi Leisa,

I am now running my 2nd 307. 

The first one has (52 plate) had the usual indicator problems mentioned above.

The 2nd 307 (53 Plate)  has been excellent.  48,000  trouble free miles since Oct 2003.

All of my pupils seem to like the car.  If you are considering a Diesel 307 I would recomend the 110bhp as the 90bhp struggles a bit.

I think the best advice is to avoid any new model of car when it first comes out. Wait a year or 2 until the faults having been found and sorted.

Hope this helps

Mark
307%20new%20for%20front%20page3.jpg

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#12 26-08-04 19:23:15

Liesa

Marcus wrote

Another thing with 307s is they are generally heavy on tyres apparently. Mind you, I got over 20,000 out of my last front set and the only reason I had to replace them was because there was a nasty split across the tread of one. Also much of that 20,000 was motorway which is kinder to tyres of course.

I only managed to get 17,000 out of the front tyres on my Corsa, so it's not just the 307s

Wanted to ask you Liesa, does teaching in a diesel make any difference compared to petrol apart from the pocket of course?  I mean in the sense of throttle response coupled with clutch control? I am thinking probably more in terms of turn in the road and reversing.

I've always taught in diesels, you're right they're very economical. The diesels are also more learner friendly in my oppinion, however you do need to make sure that they use the gas whilst performing manouvers etc. they soon work out that the car will virtually drive it'self and if your not careful that's what they'll let it do wink

Another thing I was told, by the mechanic at the school I used to work for was, they use diesels rather than petrols, because in a petrol it's fairly easy to knock the timimg out, don't know how true this is not being mechanically minded wink

#13 26-08-04 19:30:02

Liesa

Hi Mark

Which model do you use?

#14 26-08-04 19:57:57

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

I use the 307 hdi  SE  110 bhp  turbo diesel

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#15 26-08-04 20:23:38

Marcus

Liesa wrote:

Marcus wrote

I only managed to get 17,000 out of the front tyres on my Corsa, so it's not just the 307s

Wanted to ask you Liesa, does teaching in a diesel make any difference compared to petrol apart from the pocket of course?  I mean in the sense of throttle response coupled with clutch control? I am thinking probably more in terms of turn in the road and reversing.

I've always taught in diesels, you're right they're very economical. The diesels are also more learner friendly in my oppinion, however you do need to make sure that they use the gas whilst performing manouvers etc. they soon work out that the car will virtually drive it'self and if your not careful that's what they'll let it do wink

Another thing I was told, by the mechanic at the school I used to work for was, they use diesels rather than petrols, because in a petrol it's fairly easy to knock the timimg out, don't know how true this is not being mechanically minded wink

thank you for your advice Liesa

As it goes, whilst my 307 is in the car hospital having the "comms 2000"   :shock:  unit replaced, the dealer has given me an 04 plate 206 1.4 diesel to drive. I am quietly impressed with a couple of things. one the economy of course and the other is the power the car puts out. I guess I should say, in Peugeot's favour, that being 6ft tall I have never felt jammed in to any of their cars.

I also think that diesels are more difficult to stall do you agree? ... so does that help pupils... or does it just mean that having passed in an oil burner they are then going to stall every petrol car they drive after until they learn that one?

Marcus

#16 27-08-04 07:42:59

Liesa

Marcus

You're right Diesels are a harder to stall than their petrol counterparts, however the newer diesels drive very like petrol engined cars.

My previous Corsa had a basic 1.7 diesel engine in it, and it would virtually drive it'self :shock:  I've always taught my pupils to drive in exactly the same way as you drive a petrol engine, those who would insist on not using the gas, really had problems, when I changed to the new 1.7 DTI corsa two years ago. So yes they can experience problems, if you don't insist that they drive the car properly. The ones that still don't want to listen will learn the hard way, but you can't tell everyone. Unfortunately some people seem to learn more from their mistakes, than from all the advise you ever offer them  roll

#17 02-09-04 20:22:54

Marcus

Marcus wrote:
Liesa wrote:

Marcus wrote

thank you for your advice Liesa

As it goes, whilst my 307 is in the car hospital having the "comms 2000"   :shock:  unit replaced, the dealer has given me an 04 plate 206 1.4 diesel to drive. I am quietly impressed with a couple of things. one the economy of course and the other is the power the car puts out. I guess I should say, in Peugeot's favour, that being 6ft tall I have never felt jammed in to any of their cars.

I also think that diesels are more difficult to stall do you agree? ... so does that help pupils... or does it just mean that having passed in an oil burner they are then going to stall every petrol car they drive after until they learn that one?

Marcus

Just to add to this thread that my dislike of the 307 is turning into hate:

My car is still in the dealers.. now 1 week and counting. The Comms 2000 was replaced but apparently made the car worse!   roll

They are now replacing the whole computer unit in the vehicle (called a BSI apparently). That was Tuesday and to date I have heard nothing positive or negative.

The upside is they have given me a 307 diesel to drive and at 55mpg is really good value. Plus I have put 1,400 miles on it in the past 5 days alone with more to come so at least that mileage has not gone onto my car....

Marcus

#18 03-09-04 19:50:53

Marcus

Yet another update... got the car back this afternoon... it managed the 7 mile drive home without causing any problems so watch this space....

They have also replaced the complete instrument cluster as well as the BSI and Com 2000 unit. The dealer tried to charge me £65 plus VAT for balancing all of my wheels!!!!  :shock:  :shock:  I told them to get stuffed. They waived the charge.

Marcus

Board footer