You are not logged in.

#1 16-08-04 21:11:39

alys
Website

Scarry drive to Blackpool......

I had an interesting one today and I am not quite sure how I should deal with this.

I am currently a PDI and my husband is starting to learn to drive again after failing his test 10 times about 7 years ago.  He is only having practice with me at the moment making sure that he doesn't do anything dangerous and pointing out the obvious - like he still has problems knowing how to deal with roundabouts etc.  I am reluctant to actually teach him anything as I am aware that I have many bad habits and don't want to pass them on to him.

Anyway, after that scene setting -

Today we were travelling to Blackpool (on the A roads of course!).  The majority of the road is 2 carriageways each way with a double white line down the centre.  We were travelling at the speed limit (50mph) and pulled into the ouside lane to pass a truck doing about 40mph.  Everything was fine until we were about 10 ft from the back of the truck when it decided to indicate and move into the outside lane (at the same time) straight in from of us to pass round a parked car.  We had no room to stop and an idiot had decided to tail gate us.  My car does not have dual controls and my reaction was to tell my husband to stop.  However, he decided to indicate into the third lane and cross the double white lines to pass the truck.  My reaction was to tell him to pull over as I was shaken - he refused and went on to explain to me why he had made his decision.

He decided that he could not have stopped or slowed sufficiently to avoid rear-ending the truck or having the car behind pile into us.  He had also checked the other carriageway (i.e. on the wrong side of the double white lines) and it was clear - in fact both lanes were.

His opinion is that he saved us from having an accident - I sort of agree with him but I am not sure whether we could have done anything differently to avoid the situation occuring in the first place, and I am not too happy about crossing the double white lines.

Your opinions please

Alys

Alys smile

16-08-04 21:11:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Scarry drive to Blackpool......

#2 16-08-04 22:26:28

Unplugged

Hmm its a difficault one but if he had time to indicate and check both lanes then was there no reason why he couldent have slowed down sufficienty? In an Ideal world traffic behind you should have mantained a suitable distance. In reality this is not always practical but a point to consider what would have been less dangerous hitting the back of the lorry or going head on with somebody in their overtaking lane?

Unfortunatly the main portion of the blame is with the lorry driver but if it had been a central reservation or ditch you wouldent have had the option to pull out in the first place. Maybe a bit risky but you came out of it unharmed which is the best part.

#3 16-08-04 23:21:40

arwen
Website

My advice only ever use a car with dual controls,this is the only way you will maintain saftey and control of the drive at all times.
however in answer to your question could you see beyond the lorry to the parked car from the offside lane? if you could then you should have anticipated the lorries movement and slowed your learner down to allow the lorry to pull out. :twisted:

#4 17-08-04 08:42:37

Briano

Hi Alys

If you had the dual controls fitted and decided to use them to slow the car, would this not have just confused your husband even more as he would still have tried to move out onto the opposite side of the road?

And what happened once he had moved over, how did you get back onto the right side of the road?

I would have thought one of the correct things to do would be to sound the horn to make the lorry driver aware that you are there and he may have pulled in again.

Glad you got out of it okay though, sounds a bit scary!  :shock:

Briano

#5 17-08-04 09:08:13

alys
Website

Thanks all.

I am not sure that I could have reacted any faster than my husband - as soon as I saw the parked car the truck moved and, to be honest, I think I would have jumped on the brakes and possibly there could have been an accident considering the car behind.  Everything happened really quickly!

As soon as we had passed the truck we pulled back in and then back into the left lane.

I am not sure having dual controls on the car would do my marriage much good but I do not intend to supervise any other drivers until I have such controls.  I have a couple of non-driving friends that I might use as guinea pigs for Part 3 but I will have the controls for that.

Alys

Alys smile

#6 17-08-04 19:25:16

Badger

Overtaking in the situation that you described is always risky and you have come across a very important point that you will have to teach learners in your area.

In order to overtake you have to be able to see the whole distance required to complete the overtaking manoeuvre.

The truck will have obscured a large part of the road ahead from you.

It seems to be a road where cars park in the left hand lane and you did not see this parked car that prompted the truck driver to pull out.. As an ADI you will be aware of this possibility and will teach your learners  how to anticipate it themselves.

To overtake in this sort of situation you have to move into the overtaking position  very early with an early signal to warn the truck that you intend to overtake.

This gives him time to warn you that he intends to pull out past some obstacle that you may not have seen and, more importantly, gives you time then  to hold back and let him out.

Remeber too that the passenger will see that sort of obstacle earlier than the driver

Going into the opposing overtaking lane, as has been pointed out is a no no and a potential killer.

Plan ahead, anticipate is the motto here.

A useful lesson that you have learned and now your pupils will benefit from that.

Badger

#7 17-08-04 19:32:50

Tablespider

On another tack (and as a mere PDI, I stand ready to be corrected) but another issue as the tutor would have been to control the space behind you. 

If the following car couldn't have stopped in the situation as it has been explained, surely your duty was to ensure that the "space bubble/safety bubble" was adjusted accordingly, especially at these higher speeds.

As well as prompted instruction suggesting that if you couldn't see clearly (ie the parked car) you shouldn't have been overtaking.

Sounds like hubby has the attitude of the boy raceralpha male which might need a gentle nudge (in the nicest possible way).

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 17-08-04 20:36:50

alys
Website

as the tutor would have been to control the space behind you.

Hmm - I do have a problem here as I don't have any additional mirrors to see behind from the passenger seat - I think I need to find something pronto.

Sounds like hubby has the attitude of the boy raceralpha male which might need a gentle nudge (in the nicest possible way)

Is it that obvious!!!!  More the alpha male than the boy racer but I have to approach "telling him off" in a very delicate manner!!  I certainly know why it is suggested that you shouldn't teach family.  I had another incident today where he didn't stop for a pedestrian waiting at a Zebra crossing in a supermarket car park - he said that he "couldn't be bothered to wait" as he wanted to get home and he wouldn't do it if it was a real crossing in a town somewhere!!  I have dealt with this but I had to really stand up for myself!

I have found that once he admits that he was in the wrong he doesn't make the same mistake again!

Alys

Alys smile

#9 18-08-04 07:35:27

kev146g
Website

most of us are talking about a perfect drive proper overtaking etc yes that is what should have happened but was his decision to pull out into the other side of the road to avoid an accident the correct one and then pass the lorry. with out been there i might have done the same but not passed the lorry moved over then back into correct side as soon as safe

kev
w w w.drivingschool.me.uk

#10 20-08-04 02:05:31

Unplugged

Maybe.... its a dangerous situation to be in a bit like overtaking in any situation where theres no overtaking lane. it raises a whole lot of questions and what-ifs.

faced in a situation like that where you know that car isnt going to stop in time and you can clearly see there is nothing coming the other way then I would prob would have taken similar action if anything just to slow down to a point where the lorry passes your stopping distance and you could gain some distance and oull back in or if safe pass them. Could be a bit tricky if theres somebody coming up the rear.

The way I see it a rear end collision with a lorry where your reducing speed and hes gaining is going to be a lot less disaterous than a head on collison where both cars are at speed.

Board footer