You are not logged in.

#1 29-12-05 16:12:38

ivor-biggin

Advice needed

Hey there,
             If anybody knows anything about me so far , they will know that i am having trouble mastering the clutch. Im getting better mind you. My general driving is, pretty good if i do say so myself. I woould go as far as to say that im more or less up to test standard in that respect. My BIG sticking point is, the bite point ( rhymes i know lol ). I get nervous at junctions when i have to stop etc, in case i stall when i pull away, which is often the case. I know its hard to give advice on this over the net, but is there ANY way i can get round this. Im not so bad when i have to stop at lights etc for a length of time. Its more or less times when i just have to sit for a coupla secs, roundabouts ..., when i have to get going quickly again. This is the only thing that im really suffering from and its spoiling my enjoyment of driving. I just want to get this right and move on to the next level......Steve

Theory passed 21/12/2005 34/35  63/75
Practical passed 2/5/2006 1st time  7 minors

Dreams CAN come true !!!!

29-12-05 16:12:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice needed

#2 30-12-05 00:56:44

Shrek
Verified Member

Hya Steve,
that bite point can be a bit of a pain and causes everyone problems, so don't think it's just you.   wink
Firstly though, I've gotta ask 'have you had a chat with your instructor about this?' as I think it would be a good thing if you did - if you haven't allready.
Anyway, here's something you can try which might help.
You'll need to use a flat, straight(ish), quiet road to practice on.
Move away in 1st gear as normal and  - keeping the car moving very slowly - put the clutch down just below the bite point so that the car slows a little, then bring the clutch back up slowly until the car starts to move again - with a little gas (don't forget your mirror checks etc).
Do this a few times until you start to get a feel for the bite point.

Then after moving away as normal - still keeping in 1st gear - gradually brake to a stop (as if you were approaching a junction) and put the clutch down for a couple of secs.
Then bring it up slowly until you reach the bite point and move away again as normal - don't forget those mirror checks etc.
Do this a few times until you start to get a feel for it, then get up into 2nd gear and try it from there... braking to a stop as if you are approaching a junction or a roundabout and just waiting a couple of secs before moving away again.

Take your time with it as the more practice you get controlling the car at slow speeds the better -  and more confident - you will become with this aspect of your driving.
You say it's just when you've stopped for a few secs that you have a problem, so don't put the handbrake on - remember, imagine your stopping at a junction or a roundabout just long enough to give a good check before moving away again.

As I said earlier, have a chat with your instructor about it and I'm sure he/she will point you in the right direction.
Hopes this helps you out and good luck with your training.
Cheers, Shrek.

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#3 30-12-05 15:42:52

ivor-biggin

Hey Shrek, Thanx very much for your reply. That seems like the answer for me, some quiet practice somewhere. Will my adi mind if i suggest that we spend some time doing things like this ? I thought that they had to stick to some kinda syllabus or something. I know its silly but i always feel stupid by suggesting that we go back to basics. This is my only REAL sticking point thats holding me back as far as confidence is concerned

#4 30-12-05 19:14:05

Shrek
Verified Member

Hi Steve,
as you say, there is a syllabus to follow but every pupil is different - not everyone picks up the same things at the same speed.
Spending an hour or so (give or take) practicing this and then moving on to some quiet junctions for further practice should help to sort out that problem for you.
I don't know if you get any 'private practice' with a relative or friend, but if you do maybe you could try it then too?
As I said, ask your ADI what he/she thinks about it as that's the person in the best place to help you.
You should never feel stupid or awkward about asking your ADI anything as he/she is there to help you learn and if you don't ask then not only will you not get the full benefit from your lessons but they won't be able to accurately judge if you've taken it all in correctly.
Cheers mate and good luck with that, Shrek.

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#5 30-12-05 21:25:08

ivor-biggin

Many thanx Shrek m8

Board footer