You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 05-07-04 16:20:16

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Fiat Punto

Does anyone have expeirence of using a Fiat Punto?

Mine has recently started to emit a smell though the heater ( fortunately, in this weather it's not a great problem...at the moment).

This was prior to the new exhaust and catalytic converter which I've recently had fitted.

I'm told the problem is likely to be the result of oil which is leaking (very slightly) from the sump. I'm not convinced about this as I would have thought it would have to leak onto the exhaust or some part of the engine to create the smell and it doesn't seem to be doing.

Any suggestions before throwing more money at it?

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

05-07-04 16:20:16

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fiat Punto

#2 05-07-04 17:12:59

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Have you checked you oil ? I'm thinking if you have got a leak then the level could be low ?

That could be the problem/smell (burning oil) because you don't have enough in.

#3 05-07-04 18:37:10

adi
Verified Member
Website

What kind of smell is it?
If you have air con you can sometimes get a stale smell. Oil from the sump would just drip staright onto the floor as it would be the lowest point of the engine. You may have an internal water leak into the heater itself, hot antifreeze or stagnant water wouldn't smell too good!

#4 25-08-05 21:59:10

Rookie
Website

Just bought another car 51 plate 1.2 Punto 8 valve, any good? seems ok.

Fuel 47-49 mpg, great smooth clutch, vision good. Left reverse i need a ref point, other manou are very good same points as my old r reg clio.

Down-side ---no elec mirrors, no air con, no adjustin head restrai,  rear seats makes rattle noises but better than me last car.  tongue

"Look at the whole picture before you judge". "Judge oneself before you judge the Judger"..... The Rookster.Nov 05

#5 25-08-05 22:30:29

Hopton
Verified Member

I FIND a Yaris is very good and some leaners like a Toyota good to teach in and i found that when i became an ADI i was taught in one, i liked it so much i bought the company!

Last bit not true. but i did learn in one it was great and at three years old it only cost me£5k it was clean and had only done 17k miles.

Cheap Cheap. only thing the one i got had no air con, will have next time.

Driving me Crazy, and thats just the wife !

#6 16-12-05 18:03:32

hodges21
Verified Member
Website

hi
anyone on here use a fiat for a driving school car?

ive been looking at the fiat stilo (3dr dynamic model), think it looks quite good, but no one round here seems to use a fiat to teach in.

any info?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 16-12-05 18:45:27

sparkle

hodges21 wrote:

hi
anyone on here use a fiat for a driving school car?

ive been looking at the fiat stilo (3dr dynamic model), think it looks quite good, but no one round here seems to use a fiat to teach in.

any info?

maybe that should tell you something wink

(my friend had one, a punto and had NO end of trouble sad ) instructors dont tend to use them , no. Ive seen 1 here in a yucky blue..thats it out of hundreds

#8 16-12-05 18:56:02

Rob
Verified Member
Website

My wife drives a Fiat Punto and in my opinion it is a load of ****.

We have owned it from new and it has had a new lock fitted cos the central locking didn't work, rubber seal around the door replaced due to water seeping in, a new widscreen wiper motor, the engine warining light has just come on. The brakes stop you eventually, it rolls too much in the corners for my liking, it is uncomfortable to drive and feels poorly built.

But saying that my wife loves it. Personally i wouldn't even consider a Fix It Again Tomorrow.

When the warranty runs out we will be changing it for something German or Japanese.

#9 16-12-05 18:59:35

Rob
Verified Member
Website

We have owned it from new and it has had a new lock fitted cos the central locking didn't work, rubber seal around the door replaced due to water seeping in, a new widscreen wiper motor, the engine warining light has just come on. The brakes stop you eventually, it rolls too much in the corners for my liking, it is uncomfortable to drive and feels poorly built.

But saying that my wife loves it. Personally i wouldn't even consider a Fix It Again Tomorrow.

When the warranty runs out we will be changing it for something German or Japanese.

#10 16-12-05 19:00:04

Rob
Verified Member
Website

#11 16-12-05 19:03:27

markA.d.I

Had a fiat bravo hlx, loved it and never ever had any bother with it!

electric blue, alloy wheels and looked the muts.

speak as you find  wink ,

i like the stilo, as long as you get the right colour!

#12 16-12-05 20:26:35

asimpsonlowe

Ive had a Punto and a Bravo, and although i didnt have any trouble and they were ok, the build quality is cheap and the interior is plasticy. Its a personal thing but i dont like the Stilo, remind me of a London Taxi gone wrong!! Sorry if that offends?

Andi

1.gif

#13 16-12-05 20:42:37

galaxy
Website

Ok here goes I have had 4 puntos so far still got 3 no problems with any just had new clucth in at 50k only cost £190 fitted at fiat dearler, and the 2 automatics no faults at all.
They are bigger than the corsa inside more leg and head room, no more plasticy than any other pre 10k, car I do know had most of them, in all I think for just over £5k for a basic its good for 2 years work
I have had corsas and they just do not last, how many instructors have had problems? I bet its most. lol

Yet again sparkle jumps in without knowing anything about the post? wink
The post is
Anyone use a fiat,not anyone who wants to guess what they are like

No Gears No Clutch No Problem !

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 16-12-05 21:03:52

sparkle

galaxy wrote:

Yet again sparkle jumps in without knowing anything about the post? wink
The post is
Anyone use a fiat,not anyone who wants to guess what they are like

Oi you- he asked any info- i gave it...problem?

#15 16-12-05 21:30:47

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Bought a new Punto as a driving school car a few years ago, It lasted 5 weeks!

It was appalling. I traded it for a Corsa :oops: 

Coincidently I spotted the Punto today for the first time since selling it, surprised it was still going lol

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#16 16-12-05 22:07:29

KevP

Have A Punto, no probs at all, all round good little car, Stilo (my Opinion) looks good but three door suffers from poor reversing vision, very narrow rear side and back glass, may cause probs. Shall be upping my Punto sometime in 2006. OK so not many Inst's have them, (Again my Opinion) Why follow the crowd, go with what you feel.
BTW Insurance costs low, Annual Tax £100, fuel consumption on par with the more expensive likes, dual electric power steering, great for tight manoeuvres and they do other colours than the yucky blue.

#17 16-12-05 22:13:46

pegasus
Verified Member

Hey sparkle

Trust a girlie to comment about the colour of a car. lol  lol lol  lol  lol  lol lol  lol:lol:  lol lol  lol  lol  lol lol  lol

#18 16-12-05 22:50:21

LeanneADI
Verified Member

Ive only seen a yucky blue one round here.  Must admit only seen one as an instructors car in cardiff.  Not much personal experience.  My friend had one but drove it like a tank.  (not necessarily the fault of the car!)

Leanne

#19 17-12-05 07:44:23

sparkle

Maybe the yucky blue ones are the cheap colour option>>?? maybe thats why they all got the yuvky blue. lol

Im not slagging off fiats am i !..just talking bout colours before anyone has a go.

#20 17-12-05 10:18:43

ant i social aardvark

Yo Rob,

I thought polygamy was illegal in this country. Or are you just a glutton for punishment? smile

Aard

#21 17-12-05 10:44:22

leeadi
Website

Hey Galaxy... what colour is your Fiat?

Lee

#22 17-12-05 11:00:58

galaxy
Website

leeadi wrote:

Hey Galaxy... what colour is your Fiat?

I have must have the yucky blue ones, and yes I paid extra for this, but then I asked all FEMALE pupils before buying what the colour they would choose it was the yucky blue one.
Most  have good taste lol

No Gears No Clutch No Problem !

#23 17-12-05 22:46:04

Rookie
Website

Come on Sparky my dear, stop arguing wi Galaxy- u spose to be moderator.  wink
Had passes in Punto an Corsa an Clio. Prefer Corsa but Costa costa lotta more dosha.

Punto
Bad points - u may get. Bit rattle in dash, Wiper motor probs, Eng management computer probs, Bulb wire connection fault. ABS may not work, central locks can stick, Fixed uncomfy head restraint in 1.2 Active, big motions needed for gear stick, can go into 3rd instead of 1st.
Good points. Price, Dual (City Park electric steer), roomy in cab, large boot, Height adjust seat, 2 bottle holders in front,smooth ride,nice feel at 60-70 mph.. Mpg 48, petrol, reference points for manouv's good, Cheep insur, Cheap Tax, easy to fix.

Corsa
Bad points - Handbrake does not hold 1st time, gear stick can go into 1st instead of 3rd (small motions, short stick), not many bottle holders, No height adjustable seat in cheaper models. Sharp brakes. Many of them on the roads.
Good points- Looks good, good ref points apart from large back pillars, large mirrors for great vision (good for LREV glance), great leather feel to steering wh on dearer models, great adjust head restraint, smooth ride and hugs bends well.

"Look at the whole picture before you judge". "Judge oneself before you judge the Judger"..... The Rookster.Nov 05

#24 11-03-07 06:40:50

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

I have owned my grande punto for 2 months now (05/01/07), and yesterday clocked 5k.
Its a 1.4 8v Dynamic, 3 door.

So far it has been very good training car, very comfy, drives well, and easy to drive too.
it has good visibility for reversing, and all my pupils have commented on it being nice car, and easy to drive.
some even asking if they can have it when they pass!!??  yikes yikes :?

It is good on fuel, being a 1.4, and still falls in lower tax and insurance groups, which is good on ££££'s, and also has 18k service interval.

#25 15-02-08 06:01:05

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Just to update,
30k miles now, and no problems as of yet,
pupils love it, and its great car to drive

Board footer