You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 02-08-04 07:58:41

Jade1

Intensive driving lessons

Hi all
smile
I have wanted to learn to drive for a long time.  I had one set of lessons, which I really enjoyed, and took a driving test (which I failed!) about 16 years ago.  Since then, I have once been front seat passenger in a car where another car crashed into my side door and I got glass all over me but luckily no one was hurt.  I have also been in a couple of 'near miss' situations. When I took my test, I was just starting university and did not have enough money to carry on learning.  Since then I have had two children and neither the time nor the money for lessons.  I did start learning again last year but found, firstly, it was very expensive and, secondly, because I had already taken one test, the instructor expected me to know exactly what to do.  However, not only do I seem to have forgotten just about everything but I was also very nervous about driving - presumably because of the 'accident' situations.  I was only able to afford one lesson a week and felt that I was getting nowhere so I gave up.
However, I have recently been informed that I have been left some money which I should have by the end of this year.  Although this is not a fortune, it should be enough to allow me to learn to drive.  I feel I would be less nervous if I took an intensive course (or even two of them in a row!) as this would not give me enough time to think about it in between lessons.  I also feel it would give me more of a chance to pass the test first time as I would not have enough money to take more lessons than this and it would be very disappointing to 'throw away' my 'inheritance'.
I have checked with BSM and AA and find that neither of them do intensive courses.  When I tried last year, I felt that my instructor was not really interested in helping me to pass my test and I would therefore prefer to learn with a big company.  Can you suggest anything or anyone in my area?  Or  maybe it would be better to get blocks of lessons with one of these?  I live in Shoreham, West Sussex although I am nearer to Brighton in East Sussex than to any of the big towns in West Sussex.
If you have managed to get to the end of this, thanks for reading even if you are unable to help!

02-08-04 07:58:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Intensive driving lessons

#2 02-08-04 11:00:31

Badger

I will put up a message for you in this forum and in another and see if we can generate someone who will take you on an intensive course..

You must pass your theory test before they can book you in for your  Driving Test and then organise a course to coincide with that,.

The Theory Certificate is valid for two years so there is no particular pressure before your money comes through.

So -  in the meantime get rid of that theory test. You can usually get the CD ROM and the question books (AA or BSM) from the local library. If not try Asda for the CD ROM and WHS for the AA/BSM Questions books.

You can book the test over the phone by dialling 0870 01 01 372 and following the instructions. Alternatively book on line at http://www.dsa.gov.uk.

Hope this helps

Badger

#3 03-08-04 05:27:49

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Hi Jade,
Try phoning LDC on 0800 400 777, or go to the following web link, and pick an instructor directly, who will probably do you a better price!
http://www.learnerdriving.com/Driving_L … ghton.html

Robbie

#4 06-08-04 15:45:30

Bob_FOADS

Hi Jade,
Just a point on intensive training, they can be very stressful.

I do them at 20 or 40 hours a week tuition one to one. This is VERY tiring for the lerner (particularly 40 hours in a week).

Unless you are very dertimind and can easily cope with stress, you may be better off with block booking lots of lessons in a short time. A 2 hour lesson each day for 4 weeks would get you 40 hours (5 day working week) which may be enough. Obviously though it would mean being avalible for a couple of hours each day for a month and the times may vary depending on the instructors work load / comitment.

Places like BSM may be able to help you with this sort of arrangement. I will however point out that the big schools are just made up of lots of indipendant instructors with a franchise. There is no gurantee of the quality / standard / personality of the instructor you get assigned. They do have the advantage that if you don't like your first instructor you can swap for another one normaly. Having said that if you go for an person working on their own and you don't get on with them there's nothing stopping you canceling woth them and trying a different school.

Board footer