You are not logged in.

#1 05-03-04 17:36:52

pageant

Change the driving test format NOW !

The current driving test format is, in my humble opinion, a mess. The show me tell me element is pointless! The emergency stop exercise is totally pointless(the dsa are admitting as such by only requiring 1 in 3 candidates to perform it nowadays). The majority of the manoeuvres are (you guessed it ) POINTLESS!!!! Why oh why do we instructors have to waste so much time and pupils waste so much money(because of that time) doing the tired old Turn in the road, Reverse around a corner, Parallel park and Emergency stop. I state again- they are ALL POINTLESS ! The ONLY manoeuvre that a pupil needs to master is the PARKING BAY. Any of the others, which lets face it are hardly ever needed, would easily be achievable by the driver once they've built up some on-road confidence. Therefore the driving test should consist of purely driving and the Parking Bay manoeuvre only. What the hell is the DSA playing at? Cant anyone else see the sense in this? Now this is what you call a can of worms.Please someone, anyone? It all seems so !!!!!!!! obvious to me. Is anyone else still living in the past like the DSA? DISCUSS........

05-03-04 17:36:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Change the driving test format NOW !

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 05-03-04 18:12:33

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Pageant,

You certainly seem to have a view on the current test and it's definitely worthy of much debate.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but do spend considerable time teaching all these things and more.

Pupils do need to learn how to parallel park! I use it all the time and wouldn't be happy parking my car in the High Street with the knowledge that instructors wern't bothering.

It's quite a few years since any of my pupils failed on a turn in the road and with ABS on the car pupils have little chance of failing the Emergency Stop.

My biggest whinge is that the test does not seem to select the best drivers; There is an element of luck that sometimes gives a clear run or an appaling bunch of idiots to contend with.

I have pupils come back with a couple of minor (driving) faults and a serious for a moments hesitation on a manoevre.

Whilst others come back with test reports that look like a battlefield!

I remember days when I first started this job that they seemed to take the overall drive into account.

What's happened?

Regards,

#3 05-03-04 18:34:17

Joe14

Hi Pageant
It must depend on the area you live! Today I have not been teaching but  I did a left reverse and a P/park. I do these man'vres most days.
If you live in the country then I agree you probably would not use these man'vres much but I do and I live in a small town.
Its not just about teaching them to pass the test but its teaching them skills for life.
Regards
Joe

#4 05-03-04 18:55:00

DAVE-ADI

I don't teach my pupils to pass a driving test,  I teach them how to be competant and confident in handling all situations.  That includes taking them down cul-de-sacs and getting thenm to turn round,  parking in busy car parks,   and parallel parking on a busy road,  between two cars, where spaces are tight. 

In my opinion these skills are vital if a pupil is going to be able to handle themselves in the real world.
In 14 years I haven't had any pupil tell me they think I'm wasting their money teaching them to control a car properly by doing the reverse exercises.

And as for the emergency stop,  what exactly are you teaching?  Do you cover the different types of skid,  how  different surfaces help or contribute to skids,  what effect ABS has,  cadence braking etc etc. 

Or are you spending 5 minutes telling them what happens on test?

One day,  it may save their lives,  and someone elses too.

#5 05-03-04 19:06:01

pageant

ok Bigred and Joe14 maybe I put my foot in my mouth a little with the Parallel park but the others are definitely not necessary. I sense this going down the "what have the romans ever done for us" syndrome! but I think we would all agree that major improvements could be made in a few areas. I've even had serious issues with the way examiners appear to be taught the interpretation of what constitutes a serious fault and that follows on from what you were saying Bigred about the occational unfairness of a lot of test results. I've had many dodgy drivers sail through the test first time and some excellent ones who have failed on one or more occations because of it. Regards to you both.

#6 05-03-04 19:22:37

pageant

No offence intended Dave-adi but your answer is like quoting from a driving manual. I take great pride in my work and am fully satisfied that I produce suitably able candidates for the real world. I teach adequately safe driving for life its just that there are ways that havent been explored yet to simplify matters and prevent a candidates need to virtually remortgage to learn a load of nonsense when the time could be better utilised doing maybe some of the things that you yourself suggest.

#7 05-03-04 21:56:36

DAVE-ADI

No offence taken.   

The way your message comes across you give me the impression you don't think being able to reverse is important,  and more so the emergency stop.   

Regarding the cost of learning to drive,  why should you worry?  You say you are offering a professional service,  and for that you are entitled to charge.  People who are getting a good service don't usually complain about the cost.

If they do, remind them that a driving course costs the same as a good holiday.  But a licence is for life, not two weeks.

#8 05-03-04 22:07:29

DAVE-ADI

You might get your wish yet pageant!

The driving test will be changed over the next few years as they are brought into line  with  EU  regulations  At the recent ADI meeting in Sheffield, DSA's Trevor Wedge gave the following information -

There are moves towards a European Standard Test, with 6 countries currently evaluating the driving test,  to try and harmonise duration, location, manoeuvres etc.  This could eventually to the British test being made slightly longer.

#9 05-03-04 22:39:27

CarADI

qwerty

#10 06-03-04 08:00:57

pageant

Dave-ADI- I accept graciously what you say but still argue that turn in the road and reverse around a corner are a waste of valuable time if the pupil can do the other manoeuvres. Thanks for the info.
car-ADI- By 'dodgy' I mean I wasnt completely happy with their standard but as long as I assess them to be safe I will not hold them back. Some of them sailed through the test first time yet better drivers can come unstuck. This clearly indicates a problem with how examiners are taught and/or their interpretation of what constitutes a serious fault.

#11 06-03-04 10:01:52

Midge
Website

I teach the T.I.R. exercise because it is the most interesting way of teaching co-ordination -  observation, clutch control, steering etc.  I explain this to my pupils, and they usually answer, great, but I'll probably need to know it properly anyway.  I certailny often have to use the T.I.R and the reverse, I wouldn't get very far round here without those skills, I have to reverse into my drive, and so will most of my pupils. Bay parking, we don't have to do it for the test here. but I teach it.  Are you  saying that all test centres without space for bay parking should be shut down?  I hope they won't be.  We would probably all have to travel miles.

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#12 06-03-04 10:07:49

Midge
Website

Forgot to add, yes, the SM/TM part is a waste of time, I always have taught the basics, including good manners at petrol stations and T/C car parks but always ensuring that the pupils understand that their car will be different.  Emergency stop - I'm still not convinced, one way or the other.
I use the teaching of that to include bad weather, road surfaces etc.

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#13 06-03-04 13:23:52

pageant

Midge- if your test centre doesnt do bay parking then it proves the point of what a mess the test procedure has become. Bay parking and (as my learned friends Bigred and jOE14 convinced me) Parallel Park are the ONLY important manoeuvres. Turn in the road and reverse around a corner are easily attainable skills that will be a complete doddle based on the skills used doing the other manoeuvres. Of course you can do t-i-r for lessons for co-ordination and clutch control purposes but it shouldnt need to be part of the test. If a pupil can do 'creep' at a poor visibility junction as they should be able to then why waste time doing a turn in the road which employs exactly the same skills. It is after all a DRIVING test and any way to cut out the waste would provide a more realistic test of ability. And though you would consistently practice those two manoeuvres, only one should be required to be performed on test. Therefore one manoeuvre and the rest of the time DRIVING.

#14 06-03-04 13:35:02

pageant

Can someone go on the !!!!!!!! TAIL LIGHTS post and give me feedback on your views on the legal aspect of this topic. I might have put my foot in my mouth but I would appreciate some feedback. If I am wrong then by all means shoot me down but have a look and you will see my dilema.

Board footer